President Has The 'Rona

I have a few unsubstantiated predictions. After the last 4 years, particularly 6 months, I feel entitled to make equally unrealistic false claims so here it goes:

1) He uses this opportunity to downplay the virus even further by remaining asx, using a “strongman” approach to further attack opponents and boast his “excellent health”.

2) Perfect excuse to postpone further damaging debates.

3) Doesn’t actually have it, strategy for the reasons listed above. 

4) Actually has it, remains asx, uses reasons listed above, particularly #1.

Either way, I wish him and the First Lady well. 

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

It is very sad for our country that our leader doesn't lead by example - no mask, ridicules masks, touts meds that don't work and spreads disinformation at a measurable and alarming rate, eschews science and belittles experts.

Karma came - he got COVID.

He is high risk for complications.

Unfortunately, this will just be used to disrupt a legitimate election process.

And public health will still be a shambles and the US will still be "winning" with unprecedented cases, continued spread and death.

The country needs strong leadership and now a new approach to public health.

At first I laughed my butt off, now I am just sad and angry.

• Upvote 2

From CNN: does anyone know anything about this cocktail he received from Regeneron?

Valid? Studied? Whack a doodle?

"On Friday afternoon, the President's physician Dr. Sean Conley said in a White House letter that Trump received an antibody cocktail -- an investigational treatment from the biotechnology company Regeneron -- and had taken zinc, vitamin D, the heartburn drug famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin."

7 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

From CNN: does anyone know anything about this cocktail he received from Regeneron?

Valid? Studied? Whack a doodle?

"On Friday afternoon, the President's physician Dr. Sean Conley said in a White House letter that Trump received an antibody cocktail -- an investigational treatment from the biotechnology company Regeneron -- and had taken zinc, vitamin D, the heartburn drug famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin."

It's only been tested on 275 people.  COMPLETELY experimental and no where near being properly studied.  Now he is admitted to Walter Reed.  Abundance of caution my ass.  They are flat out F'ing worried about this patient.  Do not be surprised of the next big piece of news is that he has been put in a medically induced coma and Pence is the acting president.  Just wait.

Edited by Cideous

I think a Pence Presidency would do wonders for our nation.  After 4 (or 8 ) years of Trump, I think people would see through the media calling HIM a racist/evil/mysogenistic/homophobic/etc ad nauseum like they do to every other Republican nominee.  Then people can stop getting riled up by the hysterical news who keeps us hating on each other.

My guess is the President is going to Walter Reed to monitor side effects of the therapy, but obviously that's just a guess.

Edited by Boatswain2PA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

My guess is the President is going to Walter Reed to monitor side effects of the therapy, but obviously that's just a guess.

That, and his O2 sat is dropping.  We all know Trump's malignant narcissism, he would NEVER let himself be choppered to Walter Reed unless he was scared shitless.  The only good news is that maybe...just maybe his cult followers will see that their lord and savior is actually human and even he is susceptible to the non-partisan nature of science.  We can only pray....

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Look, guys, it's OK to not like the politician, but if you're going to discuss the man's medical condition, I expect you to treat his condition with the same courtesy and Hippocratic detachment as you would with anyone in your care.  Sure, how many of us DON'T see patients who contributed to their own issues on a daily basis?

If you just want to comment without restrictions or expectations of courtesy or decency, do that somewhere else.  Here, you can all behave like medical professionals, I trust.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Ignoring all the absolutely stupid stuff Trump says, and ignoring all the absolutely stupid stuff Biden says....

What should Trump have DONE differently?  What policies/orders should he have done?

Reposting this since nobody has offered what Trump, being head of the executive branch, could have DONE differently.  What policies/orders should he have done?

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Reposting this since nobody has offered what Trump, being head of the executive branch, could have DONE differently.  What policies/orders should he have done?

Acknowledged the seriousness of the disease. His downplaying of it directly led to more cases. The incessant arguing with his scientific advisors led to a lack of faith in the experts and subsequent ignorance of the guidelines suggested.

Not politicized a pandemic.

Encouraged masking once it was found to be helpful.

Not continued to have pushed for therapies without proven benefit.

Not cut the CDC and HHS budgets for several years leading up to it. 

Followed the pandemic response plan left behind by the prior administration.

Led. He could have provided leadership, unity and brought the country together to face this.

But I'm fairly sure the only reason you're asking is to have points to argue with, you will clearly not change my mind, and none of my above statements will change yours. 🙂

I'll just set a calendar reminder for 1-2 years from now to touch base with you regarding actual death counts vs. expected death counts!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

7 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

On top of what was already mentioned above, without going into further detail in regard to the blatantly obvious, as we all know you’re trolling and gaslighting us...

-have the first family acknowledge that the virus is even real...as they have claimed all the way up to this summer it is not. Rather “a political ploy/hoax to damage the presidents reelection. 

-Not hold massive rallies during the peak infection, or continue to do so.

-actually advocate for social distancing, contact tracing, mask wearing, nationwide testing.

-as mentioned above, follow the already prepared plan from the previous administration that proved much success in Ebola, Zika, H1N1, etc. instead of throwing together that worthless “paper packet”. 

-not fire Tim Ziemer from the NSC

-not shut down the entire NSC global health security unit

-not lose Tom Bossert

-not lose Dr. Luciana Borio

-None of the above EVER replaced...

-and of course, place an earlier and actually effective travel ban on travel from China. Instead of waiting until late January after several major nations and airlines had already begun travel restrictions. As well as not letting thousands of people travel back from China during the ban.

Could go on all day but the more I type, the more I realize your cognitive bias has been proven infallible.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Just listened to Dr Conley update on the President.

Sadly, I have no faith that he is telling the truth about anything.

That is the crux of most things with this administration - cannot trust that we are getting accurate information that is based in science. It is all about appearance, popularity and smoke and mirrors.

A pandemic politicized.

2 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

as we all know you’re trolling and gaslighting us...

2 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

the more I realize your cognitive bias has been proven infallible.  

This is why we can't have nice things.  Adults start talking about things, then the children come in and start throwing insults around.  The moderators then close the discussion down instead of banning the children.

MediMike - Trump says too many stupid things to even keep track of (plus he is too frequently taken out of context by the press), which is why I was asking for policies (etc) to discuss.

8 hours ago, MediMike said:

Acknowledged the seriousness of the disease

I think he did that in January when he implemented the policy of limiting travel from China, implemented the wartime production act to make ventilators and other equipment, sent a hospital ship to NY, etc.  I do agree that his double-speak ("I wear a mask, I wear a mask, but even Fauci said don't wear a mask, but then said do wear a mask") is confusing and is poor leadership during a crisis....and I think THAT is what you mean by this.

Not politicized a pandemic.

EVERYTHING is politicized today, usually by the media as a way to keep us at each others throats.  

One of the first actions Trump administration did was implementing the travel restrictions from China.  While this probably had some international political causes (Trump has been openly hard on China on just about everything and has been fighting for position in trade negotiations with them), the first major politicalization of this pandemic came when the Democrats/Media excoriated him for these restrictions.  Do you remember Pelosi in Chinatown telling people to ignore the President on this and "come party", or the media calling him racist/xenophobic because of these travel restrictions?

Encouraged masking once it was found to be helpful.

Concur, but his POLICY implementation helped ramp up mask production.

Not continued to have pushed for therapies without proven benefit.

I assume you are talking about hydroxychloroquine/Azith.  I think this is an example of the politicazation of medicine by folks who hate the orange man.  In the beginning of this pandemic we had theoretical reasoning to thinking Az/HCQ would work, so it is reasonable to use them until we get data showing they don't work and/or are dangerous (yes, the CAN be dangerous, but so can every other drug we rx).  I saw nothing wrong with the President trying to calm the nation by saying "we have treatments, we got this."  

To put it another way, if a President Obama had said to the nation "We have some medication that we thinks will work, shows great promise, and we are giving emergency use authorization while we figure it out" the media would be pushing for him to have another nobel prize in medicine.  Trump stumbled about trying to say the same thing, but the media (who openly hates him) made him look crazy.

9 hours ago, MediMike said:

Not cut the CDC and HHS budgets for several years leading up to it.

Yes, this would have been good.  However I think EVERY federal agency/department needs to be cut by 10% or more and we need to get our budget under control.  

Led. He could have provided leadership, unity and brought the country together to face this.

The media will never let this happen.  They COULD frame what he says in the manner in which he almost assuredly means it, or they can frame what he says in the worst possible way.  They universally choose the latter, and do so with every Republican.  

But I'm fairly sure the only reason you're asking is to have points to argue with, you will clearly not change my mind, and none of my above statements will change yours.

No, more to find common ground with you and others.  We don't have to agree, but we should be able to disagree respectfully.  You are obviously adult enough to do this, and I appreciate it.

I would like to note that you haven't offered any objective ACTIONS or POLICIES (other than cutting the budget) that you disagreed with.  I assume you agree with him implementing an early travel restriction from China, later travel restrictions to hot spots around the world, implementation of the wartime production act, moving the hospital ship, shifting ventilators to affected regions, and supporting other state requests for help?

Because therein lies the crux of why I will hold my nose and vote for him next month.  I don't like him being our President because he consistently says stupid things (which are highlighted/morphed by the press), but I like his POLICIES.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1