President Has The 'Rona

Getting back on topic so that this thread isn't shut down (we youngins need to know how our PA "leaders" think and feel); 45 is now back in the white house "working". He is slated to receive his remaining treatment at the white house. Is that a good idea? Is his presence safe for the staff and press and all those that work in the white house daily? Should he have remained at Walter Reed until he no longer tests positive?

Also, who can give a quick estimate of how much his hospital bill would be, including air transport, if he had no insurance? Or we can even be a bit more realistic and guess how many days he would have been "admitted" to the ER before they found a room for the indigent patient?

9 minutes ago, WakadanPA said:

Did I miss that Kamala Harris is the democratic presidential nominee? 

I'm not sure the candidates themselves have that worked out:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/18/hey-biden-harris-whos-on-first/

22 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

It must be terrible thing to carry around such hatred in your heart.

That's the real sickness here. People are actually wishing death on others.

2 minutes ago, WakadanPA said:

Getting back on topic so that this thread isn't shut down (we youngins need to know how our PA "leaders" think and feel); 45 is now back in the white house "working". He is slated to receive his remaining treatment at the white house. Is that a good idea? Is his presence safe for the staff and press and all those that work in the white house daily? Should he have remained at Walter Reed until he no longer tests positive?

Also, who can give a quick estimate of how much his hospital bill would be, including air transport, if he had no insurance? Or we can even be a bit more realistic and guess how many days he would have been "admitted" to the ER before they found a room for the indigent patient?

I'd imagine that a rational plan would include confining him to certain areas of the White House and limiting staff contact. With the medical facilities likely present in the White House, one could just as easily criticize him for going to Walter Reed instead of sheltering in place. Do you want to expose a medical staff and a bunch of wounded veterans to Covid?

Your second question I would imagine is rhetorical. No matter who is president or what we do in the country short of a French Revolution style event, rich people will always have access to better care than poor people. There will always be an elite, even in socialized countries. I'd guess his bill was upwards of $100,000.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CJAdmission said:

Your second question I would imagine is rhetorical. No matter who is president or what we do in the country short of a French Revolution style event, rich people will always have access to better care than poor people. There will always be an elite, even in socialized countries. I'd guess his bill was upwards of $100,000.

My question was absolutely NOT rhetorical. Veteran PAs on this forum talk all day and night about % of billing, ICD-10 and RVUs. The vets know all to well how to calculate their RVUs to make sure their check is cut for the correct amount. I am certain folks here can provide a pretty good estimate of costs had Trump been an uninsured patient at their facility. 

12 minutes ago, WakadanPA said:

Should he have remained at Walter Reed until he no longer tests positive?

No matter what he chose to do the Trump haters in the media would excoriate him for it.

Stay at WR- Evil bad orange man unnecessarily using resources meant for military.  Oh, and 25th amendment clearly applies because he must be sedated...or something like that.

Go back to his house - Evil orange bad man unnecessarily risking everyones life just so he can narcissistically continue to run country and campaign.  Oh, and HE WILL KILL PEOPLE!!!!

14 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

No matter what he chose to do the Trump haters in the media would excoriate him for it.

Stay at WR- Evil bad orange man unnecessarily using resources meant for military.  Oh, and 25th amendment clearly applies because he must be sedated...or something like that.

Go back to his house - Evil orange bad man unnecessarily risking everyones life just so he can narcissistically continue to run country and campaign.  Oh, and HE WILL KILL PEOPLE!!!!

Yeah okay..but my question is to you and the other medical professionals on this forum. Maybe I should rephrase so as to not get these 'defend Trump at all costs' responses: In your medical opinion, should the president of these United States of America have stayed at the Walter Reed medical facility to continue his treatment for CoVid-19 until his SARS-CoV-2 nasopharyngeal swab test or antibody assay came back negative for the virus? Can you answer that very specific question?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, WakadanPA said:

In your medical opinion, should the president of these United States of America have stayed at the Walter Reed medical facility to continue his treatment for CoVid-19 until his SARS-CoV-2 nasopharyngeal swab test or antibody assay came back negative for the virus? Can you answer that very specific question?

Not knowing the medical capabilities of the facilities at the White House, it's hard to armchair quarterback. Personally, I think there was a lot of unnecessary rigmarole. He probably should have stayed at the White House. Once he went to Reed, he probably should have stayed there. Not sure how the timing of a move could be simply tied to test results. I'd think antibodies could be positive for quite a while. We treat the patient, not the test results, right?

33 minutes ago, CJAdmission said:

Not knowing the medical capabilities of the facilities at the White House, it's hard to armchair quarterback. Personally, I think there was a lot of unnecessary rigmarole. He probably should have stayed at the White House. Once he went to Reed, he probably should have stayed there. Not sure how the timing of a move could be simply tied to test results. I'd think antibodies could be positive for quite a while. We treat the patient, not the test results, right?

Interesting point, I've seen the WH capabilities described as an "urgent care on steroids". 

Agree that his movement should have been limited simply to limit exposure. And definitely agree to treat patient not results, unless we're looking at minimizing exposure as above.

4 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

As I recall from a WH PA who spoke at an EMS conference in Dallas several years back, he, another PA, and two physicians make up the medical team.  He told the story of being welcomed aboard by Bush 43 family when they sent down a stuffed animal (or he went up to the residence quarters) and Laura presented it to him.

Stuffed animal? Really? How about a bottle of the good old stuff?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, Boatswain2PA said:

Is this another example of how it's okay to post multiple inflammatory statements about some politicians on this site, but not okay to offer any rebuttals without having the thread shut down?

Are we allowed to talk politics? Or not??

Of course not boats....the left will always try to shut down and quite the right.

@Reality Check 2I would love to see EBM on masking. Are we suppose to wear mask the rest of our lives? Why didnt we all wear them during the pandemic of 2009 (H1N1)? Have you worn a mask daily since you became a PA? Do you plan to wear one from now on and forever? How about at home? If Trump had the flu last year would there be outrage that he got sick? Are we as humans not suppose to get sick? We try so hard in health care to never get sick but how is our immune system suppose to learn? Is it bad to get sick now? I'm confused what to do now...should I wear goggles and gloves? Maybe a hair net? Gown? Where does it stop? Here is a thought....maybe support your immune system. That might work...maybe dont become overweight, diabetic, hypertensive etc....not sure why we dont focus on HEALTH first as we are in health care... 

• Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

I find it atrocious for medical professionals to medically diagnose people from television, whether that is Hillarys coughing spasms to Bidens cognitive decline or Trumps covid.

I'm not seeing a diagnosis in that tweet. Looks like an observation to me. It isn't all that hard to tell if someone is short of breath or in pain on television... One does not need to be in the same room to see that.

• Like 2

Politics aside. There is a lower age limit to be president (36). I would impose an upper age limit as well, tied to social security eligibility age. Sure, there are some folks who are super bright at 90, but I would imagine they were sharper at 65. Would also apply it to supreme court judges and create a reasonable term limits structure for congress. There have been folks who served close to 50 years in congress before, like this fellow:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strom_Thurmond. That was not the intent of the framers of the constitution. Jefferson believed folks should serve a defined term, then rotate back into civilian life.

http://eyler.freeservers.com/JeffPers/jefpco33.htm

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2