President Has The 'Rona

1 hour ago, Boatswain2PA said:

This is why we can't have nice things.  Adults start talking about things, then the children come in and start throwing insults around.  The moderators then close the discussion down instead of banning the children.

Oh look, how predictable. Boats calls another grown man a child. I’m just shooting you straight. Unfortunately your petty insults aren’t what bothers me so if you wish to continue baiting folks by likening them to children, proceed. Your circular reasoning and predictable answers are extremely frustrating, which is why it grows increasingly exhausting having a conversation with you. I’ll be waiting for your responses to my answers as well because I also took the time and bothered to answer you as requested.

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

This is why we can't have nice things.  Adults start talking about things, then the children come in and start throwing insults around.  The moderators then close the discussion down instead of banning the children.

MediMike - Trump says too many stupid things to even keep track of (plus he is too frequently taken out of context by the press), which is why I was asking for policies (etc) to discuss.

I think he did that in January when he implemented the policy of limiting travel from China, implemented the wartime production act to make ventilators and other equipment, sent a hospital ship to NY, etc.  I do agree that his double-speak ("I wear a mask, I wear a mask, but even Fauci said don't wear a mask, but then said do wear a mask") is confusing and is poor leadership during a crisis....and I think THAT is what you mean by this.

EVERYTHING is politicized today, usually by the media as a way to keep us at each others throats.  

One of the first actions Trump administration did was implementing the travel restrictions from China.  While this probably had some international political causes (Trump has been openly hard on China on just about everything and has been fighting for position in trade negotiations with them), the first major politicalization of this pandemic came when the Democrats/Media excoriated him for these restrictions.  Do you remember Pelosi in Chinatown telling people to ignore the President on this and "come party", or the media calling him racist/xenophobic because of these travel restrictions?

Concur, but his POLICY implementation helped ramp up mask production.

I assume you are talking about hydroxychloroquine/Azith.  I think this is an example of the politicazation of medicine by folks who hate the orange man.  In the beginning of this pandemic we had theoretical reasoning to thinking Az/HCQ would work, so it is reasonable to use them until we get data showing they don't work and/or are dangerous (yes, the CAN be dangerous, but so can every other drug we rx).  I saw nothing wrong with the President trying to calm the nation by saying "we have treatments, we got this."  

To put it another way, if a President Obama had said to the nation "We have some medication that we thinks will work, shows great promise, and we are giving emergency use authorization while we figure it out" the media would be pushing for him to have another nobel prize in medicine.  Trump stumbled about trying to say the same thing, but the media (who openly hates him) made him look crazy.

Yes, this would have been good.  However I think EVERY federal agency/department needs to be cut by 10% or more and we need to get our budget under control.  

The media will never let this happen.  They COULD frame what he says in the manner in which he almost assuredly means it, or they can frame what he says in the worst possible way.  They universally choose the latter, and do so with every Republican.  

No, more to find common ground with you and others.  We don't have to agree, but we should be able to disagree respectfully.  You are obviously adult enough to do this, and I appreciate it.

I would like to note that you haven't offered any objective ACTIONS or POLICIES (other than cutting the budget) that you disagreed with.  I assume you agree with him implementing an early travel restriction from China, later travel restrictions to hot spots around the world, implementation of the wartime production act, moving the hospital ship, shifting ventilators to affected regions, and supporting other state requests for help?

Because therein lies the crux of why I will hold my nose and vote for him next month.  I don't like him being our President because he consistently says stupid things (which are highlighted/morphed by the press), but I like his POLICIES.

The Pelosi-Chinatown thing is a politicization of her statements to come support the businesses in Chinatown in February, at the time we were told.by the administration that everything was under control. The travel ban was not a global ban as our citizens currently have against them across the globe, rather there were multiple exceptions made:

"The U.S. restrictions that took effect Feb. 2 continued to allow travel to the U.S. from China’s Hong Kong and Macao territories over the past five months. The Associated Press reported that more than 8,000 Chinese and foreign nationals based in those territories entered the U.S. in the first three months after the travel restrictions were imposed.

Additionally, more than 27,000 Americans returned from mainland China in the first month after the restrictions took effect. U.S. officials lost track of more than 1,600 of them who were supposed to be monitored for virus exposure."

https://apnews.com/article/d227b34b168e576bf5068b92a03c003d

He flat out lied to the country regarding the seriousness of this disease, THAT is the policy I definitely can not get on board with. 

By the time the Defense act was enacted(that sounds weird) the need for ventilators was decreasing. The administration had thousands in stockpile which did not work as the maintenance contract had lapsed the year prior. The shifting of ventilators and PPE only came after a significant amount of pleading and argument. 

When you look at what the hospital ships accomplished (total of 257 patients treated between the two of them) and the cost of them vs setting up a treatment tent vs increasing other overflow facilities I think it was completely worthless political act.

The victim complex doesn't suit you Boats, when even Fox News is questioning policies and responses you have to wonder if the problem is not in the depiction of the administration's actions but in the administration itself.

I will fully admit that my strengths don't lie in determining the best administrative policies for responding to a pandemic, I can assume that I would follow the recommendations of the CDC in that situation. As I assume you are aware with your military background (thank you), there is a hell of a lot more to leadership roles than giving orders, your demeanor, your dissemination of information, your ability to inspire and unify play large roles.

And I apologise for my quasi-snarky comments regarding your intentions, I had just got sutured up and was irritable, I appreciate the discourse and attempts to find common ground!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Speaking as a professor of global health:

not dismantled the pandemic response team would have been a good idea. Not defunded the CDC and removed us from the WHO...

Not made statements like " doing less tests means less people have it"

Not the way to approach this. Germany did it right. test everyone. Isolate positives. Contact tracing, etc. That's why the US now has more positives than the rest of the world combined. We stuck our head in the sand and hoped it would go away. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

23 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

not dismantled the pandemic response team would have been a good idea. Not defunded the CDC and removed us from the WHO...

Not the way to approach this. Germany did it right. test everyone. Isolate positives. Contact tracing, etc. That's why the US now has more positives than the rest of the world combined. We stuck our head in the sand and hoped it would go away. 

Finally someone with some credentials 😂

AND he raises chickens.

Watch out ladies...

1 hour ago, ANESMCR said:

Oh look, how predictable. Boats calls another grown man a child. I’m just shooting you straight. Unfortunately your petty insults aren’t what bothers me so if you wish to continue baiting folks by likening them to children, proceed. Your circular reasoning and predictable answers are extremely frustrating, which is why it grows increasingly exhausting having a conversation with you. I’ll be waiting for your responses to my answers as well because I also took the time and bothered to feed you. 

Tell you what, since you and I obviously don't play well together, why don't you just hit that little "ignore" button, and I will return the favor.

Peace out.

Mike - will get back with you soon.  No apologies necessary, thanks for the adult conversation.

Edited - To the mods...how DO you block/ignore obnoxious people who do nothing but interrupt conversations with attacks? 

Edited by Boatswain2PA

6 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Tell you what, since you and I obviously don't play well together, why don't you just hit that little "ignore" button, and I will return the favor.

Peace out.

Mike - will get back with you soon.  No apologies necessary, thanks for the adult conversation.

Edited - To the mods...how DO you block/ignore obnoxious people who do nothing but interrupt conversations with attacks? 

You just don’t like that I question your claims. That’s fine. I’m not blocking you because, unlike you, I don’t actually have problem with you. 

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

This This and This!

4 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

did, opened profile, no ignore button.  Tried earlier on computer and now on phone.  no ignore button to be found

Go to account in the upper right corner>ignored users at the bottom>type in user name>type in ANESMCR

Edited by ANESMCR

Whatever Trump’s policies are..... they are ALL based in HIS mental illness, narcissism, self aggrandization and doing anything to undo Obama - a personal vendetta.

There is NOTHING he has done with the well being of the American public in mind.

Filling positions with wholly unqualified boot lickers and sycophants and leaving positions unfilled for years.

When those he appoints are constantly prosecuted, imprisoned, scathingly corrupt and equally mentally ill - the country doesn’t benefit at all - just the 1%ers and hangers on.

From a medical perspective - his “policies” and mentality have my patients feeling threatened - cutting off birth control access and coverage, women’s health, veterans health etc. As well as families divided by political loyalties - party over everything - psychological stressors beyond belief. 

So I cannot say that anything beneficial has come from having a mentally ill, deluded man in the White House - Particularly in the face of a novel illness gone pandemic.

Science is real and we need an administration that believes that, relies on that and perpetuates that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

This was a lot of fun banter, filled with truth depending on your political party or presidential choice. Rev Ronin's admonishment was particularly professional and called on us to remember that we are all human but we are PAs and our comments can be quoted in the media and even sent to Washington when we have a new issue to vote on. This is what makes this forum both different and better. There are many sharp minds and an abundance of those with a sense of humor. I personally feel that the White House should have and should now institute both social distancing and masks as mandatory procedures as has been suggested by our scientists. I also feel that if we were permitted to have strong political exchanges here, it would cause animosity and taint the attitudes that we try to have for each other. It's just my humble opinion, and I hit 72 this year so maybe I am getting feeble minded.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

So now he is getting Dex?  Anyone else think that is a big deal?  I'll bet his last CXR started showing signs of pneumonia.  The current recommendations are to not give dex in anything but severe cases.  Are they just throwing everything and the kitchen sink at him?

Definite trend towards harm in patients not requiring oxygen therapy.  Benefit is still there in anyone on O's, even more if they are mechanically ventilated.

If you read/heard his physician's answers to reporters asking about oxygen it is a little unclear exactly what's going on in regards to O2 requirements.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if he is dictating his own care.  He is in a military hospital where he is truly the boss.

What O-3, O-4, O-5, O-6 is gonna risk his entire career to tell this patient "no" when he has bullied, and threatened and filed suit against people when they tell the truth.  I honestly believe (with out any proof) that he is dictating his own care with his radiologist calling the shots.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CAdamsPAC said:

I am to the point that I don't give a s**t about this disease and all of the political gamesmanship that is passing for public health activity!!!

Think it's pretty safe to say that all of us, all of America, all of the world is tired of the disease and the responses to it in general.

8 hours ago, Cideous said:

So now he is getting Dex?  Anyone else think that is a big deal?  I'll bet his last CXR started showing signs of pneumonia.  The current recommendations are to not give dex in anything but severe cases.  Are they just throwing everything and the kitchen sink at him?

yup. he is the president. he got famotidine too. Probably every med that has been discussed as of potential benefit. probably on high dose vit C as well. comes with the job.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, Reality Check 2 said:

A pandemic politicized.

Many people seem to have this misconception that only one party is politicizing this. This view is either mendacious or obtuse. The congresswoman from San Francisco was happily traipsing around Chinatown in the early days of the pandemic insisting it was safe and crying racist when anyone mentioned the pandemic's Asian origin.

I intensely dislike both political parties, but there is one that is constantly virtue signaling and, frankly, it has become cloying. We will all be better off when we realize that pretty much everyone at a high level of government is a self-interested narcissist. Perhaps one candidate is out in the open and one hides it better, but that is the reality. If you think any of these people have your interests at heart, I have some swampland in Florida I'll sell you. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MediMike said:

If you read/heard his physician's answers to reporters asking about oxygen it is a little unclear exactly what's going on in regards to O2 requirements.

I wonder if anyone here feels that a patient is entitled to any privacy whatsoever in regards to their medical information? Or is that right 100% ceded when you take high public office.

In the interest of science, I would have been interested to know what witches' brew they were pumping into a former associate justice of the Supreme Court to keep her plugging along. It seems like she had some privacy respected. No one knew she was at death's door until she walked through.   

• Upvote 1