How long after you graduated PA school did you wait to take your PANCE?

I took mine the first day I could.  If you've done well on your exams in school, I suspect you will do well on the PANCE.  If you're anything like me and my classmates were, you've been studying for this test for 2 years.  The extra time studying isn't going to make much of a difference, it'll just get you stressed out.  Good luck!

Same for me - graduated in July, took test in October.  Took two long days to take the exam back then.  Results came in late January.  If you got a small envelope from NCCPA, it was a letter telling you that you failed.  If you got a big envelope, it was your certificate.  I got the big envelope!

Take is as soon as possible after graduation

UNLESS

you think you have a tragic weakness in cardiac, pulmonary, musculoskeletal and/or GI. If you think you are weak in one or more of these areas it makes sense to stall for perhaps a week or so to brush up. Do well in these areas and you pass the PANCE. Many of the areas that people really worry about - like hematology - make up an essentially inconsequentially small portion of the exam.

Couple of months off and 3 weeks hard study.  Combination of time off and other obligations that I could not get around.  Then I really wanted a more careful review.  Just my thing.   It worked out well; I took time to understand a few things.  

For ~90% of the people it's going to be appropriate to review for a few - 7-10 days or so and take the thing, and sail through, THEN take some time off when you have to wait around anyway.

But don't wait for months and THEN study for a short time; trust me, that's written in the blood of a couple of my classmates.  If you take time off, get the books and review carefully to make sure the problem solving all comes back.  

I took it the first day I was allowed after PA school.  I didn't see any point in waiting as it only gave me time to forget things from PA school - but the caveat was that we spent the last two or three weeks reviewing as a class.  If we hadn't done that I would have given myself an extra week or two to study.

2-3 weeks, not that it would have made a huge difference but I wish I had taken it right away...your not going to learn much in a few days after 3 years of study...agree with the above advise of focusing on the big 5 topics and as long as you did well in school just get it over with. A delay in 1 week of testing could end up in a 1+ month delay in crendentialing.

Guest UVAPAC

I waited 6 weeks.  Went to the library 50% of days and studied review books non-stop.

Funny thing is I am not sure if helped with the PANCE one bit.  

(Passed on first attempt... understanding concepts far more important than any memorization)

I took the PANCE ~1 month after graduation. There was a 2-week period of time immediately after I graduated when the PANCE wasn't being offered due to the winter holidays. I took those two weeks off to relax and spend time with my family. Then, I studied a review book for 2 weeks and tested. I found out I passed 6 days later.

Archived