how to list your credentials?

Hey all,

New grad here and just had a couple of questions...

Is there a regulated way to list your credentials after your name on your white coat or is it just provider choice on whether you decide to use other credentials (for example, if you were previously an ATC, RD, or RN), and if so, what would the order be (PA-C first or last)?  I also see some PAs who decide to use "MS" and others don't (both having had the Master's degree): is this just provider choice as well?

Thanks for the help!

really up to you. probably best to list the PA First before other clinical things like rn. as far as degrees you can do whatever you want. most folks do this:

PA-c, MPAS or PA-c, RN, MPAS.

I do PA, DHSc, EMT-P on my CV and drop the EMT-P for everything else.

I just do "PA-C" (always the -C, I worked hard for that, and it's my understanding that there are still states where both PA and PA-C are both active things), unless it's for something formal like my CV or the Bio page on the practice's website. In that case, it's "MS, PA-C."

I wouldn't recommend using "MPAS" because no one knows what that is, and also because (strictly personal bias here) saying you're a PA because you have an advanced degree in "PA Studies" sounds kind of silly. We studied medicine. My degree is in "PA Practice" but I've never used "MPAP" as a degree abbreviation, and never would.

I've seen various guidelines; some say to list the highest degree/certification first, some say the opposite.

I'll typically leave out the MPAS and just go with "Medic 25, PA-C" or "Medic 25, EMT-P, PA-C" depending on the professional situation.  If it's something formal like a CV, I'll also tack on the DFAAPA credential after my PA-C.

Some people choose to list bachelor's degrees after their name.  I think it looks a bit silly, especially if they list advanced degrees (e.g. MA or PhD), which already imply a bachelor's degree.  I'd avoid that.

However, listing a master's degree is completely appropriate as a PA, as not all PAs have one.

See this as well:

http://www.accu-assist.com/grammar-tips-archive/GrammarTip_academic-degrees.htm

If you're an RN, you will list every damn credential and certificate known to man... Even if it takes up two or three lines on your email, coat, and resume.

Hilarious, only because it's so, so, so, so true. And I don't get it, because even other nurses don't know what half of the acronyms mean. 

I sat in on a lecture given by a guy once whose title slide read Title, by: First Name, Last Name, BS, MBA, PhD©, CHS, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P, PNCCT, EMT-T, FP-C. Unfortunately, he still told us all about his resume in the introduction. So much of that was redundant...and some of it (CCEMT-P, PNCCT) are actually 2-week long classes, not credentials. Crap like that is obviously just being self-absorbed and doesn't fool anyone. So why do it???

What would be wrong with just going with Joe Blow, PA-C? If someone actually needs to know your academic background, he or she probably has access to your resume. 

"Hi, I am Jane Doe, PA - what is going on with you today?" Standard room intro.

I, too, ONLY have a BS from 25 years ago and was always told that my NCCPA was ALL that mattered regardless of my degree.

I personally do not care what other degrees someone has unless another complementary field - such as JD, PA-C or JD, RN.

One can get a PhD in ancient Egyptian heiroglyphics but it doesn't do squat for patient care.

What matters to me most is that I instill confidence in my patients and do the right thing.

I am sick of admin suits running around with nametags that say MBA, MA (master of arts of something or other). I frankly do not care what they did in school. The phrase ADMIN on their nametag makes me shiver enough already - should say "angel of death"

My husband works with Habitat for Humanity - he is an electrician. Their philosophy - the higher degree you list - such as PhD or whatever - the LESS likely they are to hand you a power tool or something sharp........

My reputation stands on experience and what I do right, not where I went to school or how many times or how much debt I accumulated doing such.

PA-C - for now it is what we have and I got it.

List the rest on your resume and leave your nametag as what you actually do day to day - then do it right.

Thanks all.

To expand more, I have a degree in dietetics and am a Registered Dietitian (RD). I plan on maintaining the RD credentials and hope to use that education in tandem with my PA degree, especially during patient education.

I was thinking on doing: Jane Doe, RD, MS, PA-C or Jane Doe, MS, PA-C, RD (or possibly eliminate the MS altogether). I feel like the listing would make more sense to be in chronological order of education, so I would defer to the first one, but have been told different.

My lab coat -- hot as it sometimes is -- just says my name and PA-C, even though I have an MSPAS.

My CV says name, NRP (which has replaced NREMT-P of late), my masters degrees in order, and PA-C.

If I was an RD, I'd probably include that too.

Hilarious, only because it's so, so, so, so true. And I don't get it, because even other nurses don't know what half of the acronyms mean. 

I sat in on a lecture given by a guy once whose title slide read Title, by: First Name, Last Name, BS, MBA, PhD©, CHS, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P, PNCCT, EMT-T, FP-C. Unfortunately, he still told us all about his resume in the introduction. So much of that was redundant...and some of it (CCEMT-P, PNCCT) are actually 2-week long classes, not credentials. Crap like that is obviously just being self-absorbed and doesn't fool anyone. So why do it???

What would be wrong with just going with Joe Blow, PA-C? If someone actually needs to know your academic background, he or she probably has access to your resume. 

One of the providers where I did my rotation went by Jane Doe, DNP, ARNP, APRN, PMHCNS-BC, CPRP, FAAN. I wonder if she realizes ARNP=APRN

If you're an RN, you will list every damn credential and certificate known to man... Even if it takes up two or three lines on your email, coat, and resume.

You win! Hahahaha! Best post on here... [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Administrator

My CV says name, NRP (which has replaced NREMT-P of late), my masters degrees in order, and PA-C.

(lightbulb) Oh, I was wondering why people were starting to put the fact that they're certified in Neonatal Resuscitation Program in their list of important credentials...

really up to you. probably best to list the PA First before other clinical things like rn. as far as degrees you can do whatever you want. most folks do this:

PA-c, MPAS or PA-c, RN, MPAS.

I do PA, DHSc, EMT-P on my CV and drop the EMT-P for everything else.

Actually in academics you list the degree first then honors then certifications. Such as MMS, DFAAPA, PA-C. The theory is that a degree is permanent but a certification can be lost or given up. Whether you list other degrees is up to you but if not clinically relevant then probably not. If you are going to list more than one then you would list the highest degree first. 

Archived