how to list your credentials?

^^^^^^

Yup.  And don't be jealous of my creds, dude.  I'm about to add more.  Just found a course from mymedcerts.com for OSHA and HIV awareness for 15 bucks that can can be completed in an hour or less.  Saaaweeet.  And I've got plenty of real estate left on that lab coat.  Not yet sure of the letters I can add yet, but I'm thinking it'll be something like OSHAHIVA-C.  That'd be the longest set of letters I have to date!! Back to the embroider I go!!  Woot Woot!!!  #pumped

Yup.  And don't be jealous of my creds, dude.  I'm about to add more.  Just found a course from mymedcerts.com for OSHA and HIV awareness for 15 bucks that can can be completed in an hour or less.  Saaaweeet.  And I've got plenty of real estate left on that lab coat.  Not yet sure of the letters I can add yet, but I'm thinking it'll be something like OSHAHIVA-C.  That'd be the longest set of letters I have to date!! Back to the embroider I go!!  Woot Woot!!!  #pumped

Maybe should should just get certified in embroidery.  I hear the demand for embroiderers is going through the roof.

• 8 months later...

I always use my PA-C last as it is the most important one

But it is starting to get silly

MS, MBA, PA-C is a little long in the tooth

Then what do I do with DFAAPA (seems everyone lists this)

And what about that clinical doctorate I want to get - guess that one will replace the MS?

So could look like

DMS, MBA, PA-C, DFAAPA

Yikes to long...

But on my CV and when introducing to the nursing lobby I think  I will go with 

AAS, BA, MS, MBA, ATLS, BLS, ACLS, CCHP, PA-C, DFAAPA -    That way everyone knows I am super smart and way better then simply MD or DO or PA or NP...... (tongue in cheek) 

For work I have embroidered my highest degree followed by PA-C. I figure I am there as a PA and not a PhD so that is what folks should see last. I have 6 degrees from AA to PhD and I just never saw the sense in listing them all over my pocket.

Several years ago when I was in of those online arguments about something PA/policy/politics and as more people weighed in the list of titles associated with signature lines got longer and longer so at the bottom of mine I listed "Perfect attendance, Mrs. Tiller's First Grade Class".

I find when someone is making an argument and they have to lead with their credential it, generally, means their argument can't stand on its own. Man..it has been a long day and I am perambulating.

In addition to my purchased pretend medals, like NASCAR, I also list corporate sponsors on my lab coat. I also mention them at the end of the visit with discharge instructions such as "Your prescriptions are sponsored by Goody's headache powders."

Sponsored by Anusol HC suppositories! For when your URI evaluation takes an unexpected twist!

And y'all are wondering why there is such an issue with degree creep...I always find it funny on LinkedIn when I see NP's who have a PhD list themselves as "Dr Nose in the Air" and the MD's list themselves as "Jim Bob, MD". 

My post-nominal on my lab coat is CCPA (Canadian PA-C equivalent)...on my CV it's different, since I have orders and decorations after my name as well (much like GMOTM, but actually real). The general convention is orders/decorations, degrees, professional designations/certifications (and NOT your ACLS etc, lol).

I do wear my lab coat on occasions, since the predominantly menopausal female crowd working in my ER has the A/C on full blast 24/7/365 it seems and I need to stay warm some days.  My mother has a PhD and does drop the Dr on people occasionally...but I tell her that I still, despite her degrees, have more letters after my name than she does.  Oh, and to really set her off on a rant so I can ignore her for a bit when gets REALLY pedantic, I tell her if I ever went to medical school, the Dr in front of my name would mean a lot more than the one in front of her's.

SK

And y'all are wondering why there is such an issue with degree creep...I always find it funny on LinkedIn when I see NP's who have a PhD list themselves as "Dr Nose in the Air" and the MD's list themselves as "Jim Bob, MD". 

My post-nominal on my lab coat is CCPA (Canadian PA-C equivalent)...on my CV it's different, since I have orders and decorations after my name as well (much like GMOTM, but actually real). The general convention is orders/decorations, degrees, professional designations/certifications (and NOT your ACLS etc, lol).

I do wear my lab coat on occasions, since the predominantly menopausal female crowd working in my ER has the A/C on full blast 24/7/365 it seems and I need to stay warm some days.  My mother has a PhD and does drop the Dr on people occasionally...but I tell her that I still, despite her degrees, have more letters after my name than she does.  Oh, and to really set her off on a rant so I can ignore her for a bit when gets REALLY pedantic, I tell her if I ever went to medical school, the Dr in front of my name would mean a lot more than the one in front of her's.

SK

The only time I use the Dr title is to put someone on the spot or level the playing field. I don't use it at work...ever... because I think it misleads patients and is a bit disingenuous. One I was testifying at a malpractice trial and the first think the evil attorney said was "so you aren't a doctor are you?" in a very as like manner. I just said "of course I am" and sat back without elaborating. 60 second pause while he suffles papers and whispers back and forth with his client. It was fun....

The only time I use the Dr title is to put someone on the spot or level the playing field. I don't use it at work...ever... because I think it misleads patients and is a bit disingenuous. One I was testifying at a malpractice trial and the first think the evil attorney said was "so you aren't a doctor are you?" in a very as like manner. I just said "of course I am" and sat back without elaborating. 60 second pause while he suffles papers and whispers back and forth with his client. It was fun....

Did crickets chirp as well in the courtroom?

Easy there, Lt. Kaffee. ;)

I saw an RN fired on the spot for demanding she be referred to as "dr." since she had finished her online degree the previous day.  She had written this this on patient white boards and had an embroidered white coat. 

Time elapsed from when she told the attending (and practice co-owner) she "had earned it" to when the HR director was returning from the parking lot with her badge...less than 6 minutes.

In Academia, It is ALWAYS the highest degree earned first, followed by any clinical degrees.  The only exception to this is if you have equivalent doctoral degrees in different fields in which case, It is alphabetical based on the field of degree.  For Example, folks who earn an MD and a PhD are MD/PhDs, not PhD/MD. 

For masters level folks, its your discretion if you want to use your academic degree plus PA, but as the recognized terminal degree for PAs is a masters degree, I only put PA-C after my name unless I am doing academics and then my other masters degree, an actual academic one, goes first (MS, PA-C).  These are two differing degrees though.  If I want to be uber pretentious, I'll put MS, MMSc, PA-C, but who really cares if I have one masters degree, let alone 2.

Doctoral Degree, then PA-C.  so PhD, PA-C, DHSc, PA-C.

G

Archived