Hospital CEO

9 hours ago, YourAveragePA said:

The current director of my facility (VA hospital/medical center) is a DNP.  No other degrees (MBA, MHA, MPA, MPH, etc).   Of the 7 people in the directors suite, aside from the Medical Director and Chief of Staff (both are MDs), everyone else is either an RN or NP.  

Do you work at the VA? I have 10 years of EM experience and have an upcoming interview with them next week in pain management. Position was opened to only physician assistant and when I went to look at other positions available, there was none for PAs. However, there were multiple listings for primary care, dermatology, etc. for NPs. I called HR to discuss and they weren't able to provide much details other than I needed a "NP license" to apply for those positions. I have a feeling the VA in my city is heavily NPs which raises a concern for me if I ever want a lateral movement/change at that facility. Thoughts? 

The VA, like most other hospital systems, has tons of nurses in leadership positions and very few PAs. Also NPs are independent practitioners and we aren't. Sound familiar? It should because it is that way nationally and is only getting worse.

The VA is still the largest employer of PAs in the country. There are a lot of opportunities but they vary place to place because it is up to leadership to decide who each position gets advertised to.

It can be a maddening place to work but so can corporate medicine. Pay is good and bennies are great.

I do work for the VA and am friends with a few PAs that have regional/administrative type positions.  What has been happening lately is that most APP jobs lately have either solely been posted for NPs or it's dual posted for NP/PA.  What happens most often is that the staff that filter the applicants are most often RNs or NPs themselves, therefore it is very, very difficult to beat out an NP for a position.  In rare cases, the MDs have a preference for PAs and they push for it.  

Other interesting facts about VA PAs:

- If you go to USAjobs.gov and search for "Physician Assistant", 709 results will pop up.  If you search for "Nurse Practitioner", 2164 will pop up

-Our licenses (with the exception of the DEA, which the fee is waived), and certifications are not paid or reimbursed....NPs are.

- Scholarships for PAs to attain other degrees (DMSc, MBA, etc), are available but difficult to attain, and must be paid by the PA then reimbursed.  RNs or NPs becoming DNPs have scholarships that are paid in full, up front.  

- A colleague of mine going from RN to BSN is being paid her FULL TIME salary to attend school full time and only work on her semester breaks.

- The independent practitioner thing isn't really a big deal at the VA.....PAs don't have to have physician cosignatures any more so we effectively are able to practice independently

- At least in my facility, every PA that retires or leaves is replaced by an NP

- At my facility, the representative of the NNU (National Nurses United; the nursing union through the VA) has a custom parking spot right next to the Directors spot (for point of reference, the majority of the clinical staff have to park off site and take a shuttle to get to the building).  She does not have any clinical duties whatsoever.  

The VA does pay well for PAs and is juuuust about on par with comparable NP salaries, however the advancement ceiling is much, much lower, which leads to a lot of burnout and resentment which affects moral.   It's a good, stable job if you can get it, but it is certainly not good for an early-career PA.  You'll be frustrated and bored within a few years for sure.  Most PAs that work there are either mid-career and are there for the stability or counting down the last few years until retirement working a boring, slow, frustrating job.  

I vaguely remember hearing about a PA that was CEO at LIJ years ago.  I believe his first name was Gary I think.  He eventually left and now runs a B&B in New England.  Maybe I was just dreaming?????

Correction to my post.  Gary was vice president of Winthrop Hospital and after leaving there went to Maine.  Prior to Winthrop, he was President of NYSSPA among other things.  Trying to stay on point here, he was not a CEO but VP of a well-known hospital on Long Island.

Edited by TWR
addendum and correction
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1