PAs who have been furloughed

47 minutes ago, SedRate said:

Possibly. In hearing the various news stations being played in the doctors lounge, I have heard quite a few references to PAs. I actually heard a PA being interviewed yesterday and discussing our roll, especially during this crisis. I do hope that we continue to make our presence felt and known. 

It was a shame to overhear two anesthesiologists dissing PAs while the interview was going, one of whom just finished residency and the other out about 20-30 years. The young one has a thick accent, so I'm not sure if he's an FMG or just born in another country and came here. Regardless, they didn't like the idea of us pursuing independence and trying to get paid like the doctors. No mention of NPs pursuing independence, which I found interesting. I wonder if they've already accepted that ship has sailed?

I wonder if the interviewed PA was the reported "make up" for dissing us on one of the major news networks?  Nothing being said about us here that I hear about, only crickets..

11 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Another thing to think about, especially for the older ones of us: the recently or about to retire folks like GMOTM.  The fall of the stock market is having a big effect on retirement savings.  My retirements are back to being only down approximately 25%.   While I expect that there will be a slow recovery over the next few years, it's also quite possible that I will be working longer than planned.

I'm fortunate in that I've got a couple of gov't pensions (local/state) that I'm eligible for, in addition to SSI.  I'm also fortunate that the WEP IRS statute doesn't come into play for me either.  My personal funds, as well as my wife's (who is still working) are to get us to 65.

The alarm bells have been ringing for years regarding our profession.   I seriously thought of taking time off years ago to make the move to an NP but could not justify the expense and lost income to continue doing what I was already doing and not making more money.    I think it is high time for the powers that be to sit down with the NP’s and come together with an agreement to somehow join forces with the Np’s to make us a single entity.   I know they certainly don’t need us to continue their profession but we can’t waste any more time with our name change nonsense.   If we all need to sit for their boards or whatever- the time is now to make a change.   Yes- everyone across the board is being furloughed but when it comes time to re-hire those positions- who are they going to re-hire first?

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Just playing devil's advocate, what do we bring to the game that would make them want to consider adding PA's?

The only thing I can think of is strength in additional numbers along with additional $$$$

There are about 140k of us across the nation-right?    That could translate to millions of additional dollars (overnight) if we came together.   

Edited by bobuddy
Content

2 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I wonder if the interviewed PA was the reported "make up" for dissing us on one of the major news networks?  Nothing being said about us here that I hear about, only crickets..

Just a rant..last night .I heard a network(forget which one) reporter talk about health care providers, mentioned “doctors, nurses and nurse assistant”, in the back of my mind I was wondering if they potentially mixed up physician assistant with nurse assistant. If so, welcome to reality of how effective trying to explain a PA, physician assistant.  
I will probably be in trouble for the next few sentences. I’ve been thinking about the effort to educate on the difference between the apostrophe thing. I know that apostrophe is a big deal to some, but do you ever  kind of think admin, docs, NP’s etc. just laugh at such pettiness from a group of assistants. Physician Assistant, Physician’s Assistant, Physician Associate, Physician’s Associate, PA, all likely to suggest the same, can’t do shit on your own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Another thing to think about, especially for the older ones of us: the recently or about to retire folks like GMOTM.  The fall of the stock market is having a big effect on retirement savings.  My retirements are back to being only down approximately 25%.   While I expect that there will be a slow recovery over the next few years, it's also quite possible that I will be working longer than planned.

I started telling everyone I know to sell their stocks 6 months ago.  I was about 4 months early but hey.....I switched my retirement accounts into 92% bonds and 8% stocks......as of 15 minutes ago I am up 1.23% for 2020.  This was a train wreck that was easy to see coming even without Coronavirus.  The Trump market was stupidly overvalued.  

Edited by Cideous

Guest Paula
8 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Just playing devil's advocate, what do we bring to the game that would make them want to consider adding PA's?

We would teach all the NPs their clinical skills and clinical medicine, differential diagnosis, radiology, EM,. lab and pathology and infectious disease, prescribing, etc.  We would be their residency directors. 

Guest Paula
21 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I can't bring myself to look at my statements.  My advisor says to hang in there,  I have enough savings to live frugally for 2 years before I take social security (hope it's still there in 2 years!)  I'm holding off on getting it for as long as possible.  Husband already gets SS.  Plus we have lived below our means for years and own our home, no debt at all.  

I can't bring myself to look at my statements.  My advisor says to hang in there,  I have enough savings to live frugally for 2 years before I take social security (hope it's still there in 2 years!)  I'm holding off on getting it for as long as possible.  Husband already gets SS.  Plus we have lived below our means for years and own our home, no debt at all.  

The “no debt” is the greatest gift of all. Paid off my wife’s Lexus a couple months back and gave the title to her a couple weeks back for her birthday. She can access her personal retirement accounts in six months without penalty, just as I can already access mine. It’s a nice feeling to know that I can tap the pensions at any point but planning even today still shows that we’ll be able to hold off till 65/63 respectively. Only other expected cost is daughter’s wedding next spring which I’ve already taken out the cash for earlier when the market was higher so that’s covered as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Question:

I got a furlough from my per-diem Urgent Orthopedic Position.  I was making an extra $600 a month working a couple of hours here. I am still working my full time position.   Is there anyway you can get unemployment benefits for that position during this time?  Sure I have another job, but I am also supporting a family of 4.  

1 hour ago, ShakaHoo said:

Question:

I got a furlough from my per-diem Urgent Orthopedic Position.  I was making an extra $600 a month working a couple of hours here. I am still working my full time position.   Is there anyway you can get unemployment benefits for that position during this time?  Sure I have another job, but I am also supporting a family of 4.  

I am not an unemployment expert, but I don't believe you can get unemployment for per-diem.  But, what's stopping you from trying?

3 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

I am not an unemployment expert, but I don't believe you can get unemployment for per-diem.  But, what's stopping you from trying?

They have made special rules under COVID relief for the "gig economy" that lets 1099 employyes apply as well

Edited by sas5814

I've read about a dozen articles and none seem to answer my question. I made about 110K salary plus 25K in bonus in 2019. I recently was notified that my base salary / hours will be cut by 25%.

I looked into CA unemployment and it seems I would get 25% of the maximum 450 dollar per week benefit which is 112.50 (less if they include my bonus into the calculation). So I have 2 questions:

1. Will I get the additional 600 from the federal portion, or only 25% (150) of it?

2. If things take a turn for the worse and I get completely furloughed in 2 months, did I just waste 2 months of my unemployment benefits on a partial payout?

19 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I've read about a dozen articles and none seem to answer my question. I made about 110K salary plus 25K in bonus in 2019. I recently was notified that my base salary / hours will be cut by 25%.

I looked into CA unemployment and it seems I would get 25% of the maximum 450 dollar per week benefit which is 112.50 (less if they include my bonus into the calculation). So I have 2 questions:

1. Will I get the additional 600 from the federal portion, or only 25% (150) of it?

2. If things take a turn for the worse and I get completely furloughed in 2 months, did I just waste 2 months of my unemployment benefits on a partial payout?

I don't have your answers, but question #2 is HUGE!

On 4/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

I doubt unemployment will pay if you still have earned income, ie it won't compensate for a reduction in pay due to cuts in hours, hourly rate, or both.  I also doubt if it will pay for the loss of 1 job if you are still working at another.

This may depend on the state. I know for sure CA will pay you for reduction in hours. If you lose 50% of your hours/pay they will give you the 50% of the max 450 weekly unemployment benefit (provided you earned enough to qualify for that). 

• Upvote 1

I am on Unemployment in WA state. I filed 3 weeks ago, and am in the system. 

The max you can make in WA is 790 per month ( I had been about to get 5 mo, but it became 12)

Then I also get another 600 per week for Covid19 Aid in WA state. 

So I will have about 1390 per week 5560 per month. I am lucky I can live on 3k per month. I dont have kids, but its been 3 weeks and still no pay has been sent. They gave me a debit card. They said they had to contact my last employer, and so I did also. They are not fighting the unemployment, but I think so many have applied that its taking forever. I am worried I wont be able to pay my May rent. I live in a Monthly Motel, I came here to start a job that is now on hold. I have wanted a Telemed job for years, I just dont know who I have to murder or marry to get it. 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:07 PM, SedRate said:

I'll be unemployed here soon, just in time for full-swing pandemic and concomitant economy crash. I'm actually really looking forward to enjoying my free time and spending time with family. I'm just hoping the quarantine period lifts by then so I won't have to spend all my free time stuck at home...

Good luck to everyone out there with the current struggles, not only regarding personal health but also financial. If you too are looking at upcoming financial struggles, start eating rice and beans, cancel/freeze unnecessary recurring expenses, and stockpile cash reserves!

Well, I just got an offer for a job. So, there is still hope out there my friends! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SedRate said:

Well, I just got an offer for a job. So, there is still hope out there my friends! 

Just curious where doing what if you don't mind sharing. I am sitting here enjoying my 3rd day of furlough and hoarding money like a miser.

My wife (RN) had a phone interview yesterday and likely will start a state job soon. There's some light I suppose.

8 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Just curious where doing what if you don't mind sharing. I am sitting here enjoying my 3rd day of furlough and hoarding money like a miser.

My wife (RN) had a phone interview yesterday and likely will start a state job soon. There's some light I suppose.

Trauma in the Southwest

1 minute ago, jaredlj3 said:

For those who have been furloughed. Does your contract include a guaranteed base salary or are you solely compensation based? If you have a guarantee and were furloughed then your employer breached your contract. 

Exactly what I was thinking but who has the $$$ to sue them....