PAs who have been furloughed

Our volume has dropped as my company tries to limit the amount of patients seen. Volume has dropped 80%. I fully expect to be laid off if this keeps up. And to think I picked this field because I thought it would be recession proof. Oh the irony. Thankfully I have a 6 month emergency fund, but it'll be very disheartening. 

• Upvote 2

It should not be a surprise that if you do not make money, your employer probably cannot afford to keep you on.  I would not be surprised if admin and other support staff get laid off or furloughed as well.  This applies to every industry, including health care unfortunately.  I hope it does not happen to me, but I would not be surprised as I am only seeing 1/3 of the patients I usually see now (and mostly telephone consults).

• Upvote 1

I'll be unemployed here soon, just in time for full-swing pandemic and concomitant economy crash. I'm actually really looking forward to enjoying my free time and spending time with family. I'm just hoping the quarantine period lifts by then so I won't have to spend all my free time stuck at home...

Good luck to everyone out there with the current struggles, not only regarding personal health but also financial. If you too are looking at upcoming financial struggles, start eating rice and beans, cancel/freeze unnecessary recurring expenses, and stockpile cash reserves!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Texas and NYC begging for HCPs, though PA’s are never mentioned.  They want med students,  retired docs, retired nurses, or nursing students but apparently not us.  “Hi.  I’m Rodney Dangerfield”.

OR and WA are fast tracking a plan to use retired PAs and PAs from other states. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

OR and WA are fast tracking a plan to use retired PAs and PAs from other states. 

And yet, I've been registered with WAServ.org for 3ish years, supported several events, and there are zero missions available for which I could volunteer.  Madness.

• Upvote 1

I received a DFAS newsletter today.  Army announced voluntary recall of retired providers today.  NPs mentioned but not PAs.  I am a retired Army PA with over 20 years active service and am disappointed in this decision.  As an LPN prior to choosing the PA Career Path, I never saw this coming.  

Screenshot_20200325-202423.png

Edited by entpac
Additional Thoughts

Their legacy is they actually think PA is a WELL known respected profession , thus the reason so many don’t want to give up the precious initials. How many times of being overlooked does it take to realize, PA DOES NOT stand for or suggest practitioner! Even after 50 years PA is overlooked because PA (assistant or associate) has no significant meaning to the majority of people. Marketing is larger than anyone wants to admit. Even if you get rid of “the dead weight”, it will be extremely difficult to get past not being physician side kick or helper. You are beating your head against a wall and wasting  a ton of energy just trying to explain, and explain again what the hell you are and can do. You can only hope the few progressive members and leaders just tell the dead weights to set down, shut up, and change the title this May. Like a virus, the gradual demise has been occurring each time NP’s get independence. Physician assistants are described as just that, assistants. If you think changing to associate will make a difference, you are wrong! NP’s, with all their power, will continue to explain how they can work independent of physicians,  while the PA is lesser, because you are still tied to physician. 

• Upvote 2

I watched about 20 physical and occupational therapist leave the hospital yesterday nearly in tears... told that they have to all flex down 2 hours a day, and if there are no patients, they must swipe out and go home. 

Shortly after (without my knowledge) our office staff was rounded up by office manager (reception, billing, medical assistants) and told their hours are going to start being cut. 2 of our older employees volunteered to cut their hours 50% and supplement with vacation time. Younger staff told to discuss amongst themselves and pick 1 Day they will stay home beginning next week. They were told this is the starting point and will be adjusted accordingly. 

Not sure how this ultimately effects me as a salaried employee, only time will tell. 

There was a PA on Good Morning America this morning who was laid off. New York, I think. 

He never said what field he worked in - Derm, Plastic Surgery, private one doc show - I don't know.

It just seems completely counter intuitive that any licensed PA would NOT have a job right now.

The obvious is painful though - go to work front line against COVID with little PPE, no vents, etc.  Is that even an option?

Kind of a no win situation at some point.

• Upvote 1

Same thing is happening at my hospital. Managers coming down and asking nurses/MA's etc to clock out and go home. Reducing shifts and hours across the board. Covid -19 hasn't hit here yet. I'm salaried but am afraid my job is at risk as well. Ironic that I asked for a fat raise three weeks ago after a mass exodus of radiologists and I'm the only one left doing all the procedures. Working in a small private practice seeing outpatients would be scary right now. I know a handful of Bariatric surgery PA's who were let go yesterday. Small group who made bank on incentives/production. Here today gone tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, ANESMCR said:

Is there such a thing as being “half” furloughed? Had my salary cut in half today, 50% slice until further notice while still expected to work FT. 

Ummm what?  How is that even possible?  Got to be more to this story.

Edited by Cideous