Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I also got an interview for July 20th! Super EXCITED! Just waiting for the follow up email with the information/instructions. Best of luck and hope to see some of you there.

Edited by MZHolden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, baj0411 said:

I don’t know. So far it looks like I’m the only one following this forum that’s received an invite. I’m sure others have as well, but silence isn’t helping for those of you still waiting on eager anticipation 

I'll be there on July 20th. Yes, very short notice. I have family coming in from Texas that weekend, so looks like it will be a family road trip! haha... We will be driving about 15 hours to get there. Due to work we will drive right back after it's over. I'm so happy it's on a Saturday. That's amazing for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 11:12 AM, KThames said:

Did anyone submit everything and not get an email saying their app was under review? I submitted everything back in May, and the only email I received was a receipt for the supplemental app payment.

I never got an email about my app being under review. I submitted everything, got the confirmation email about the supplemental app, then got an invite. It seemed like it happened pretty quickly. I took the CASper test at the end of June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 2:00 PM, pathgirl20 said:

My experience was the same.  I called the graduate admissions office to verify that my application was complete because I never received a confirmation email like I did at the University of Utah.  They confirmed that it was complete, but they sounded very unsure over the phone.  They couldn't tell me why I didn't get a confirmation.

Was there a secondary application?  Or was it all part of the initial CASPA application?  I know there were two supplemental essay questions on the original application.  Was that supposed to be the secondary application?  This is my first application cycle, so I'm new to it all.  Thanks in advance for your response!

There is a second supplemental application you can access from their profile on CASPA. I'm sure you can look it up on their website also or here https://www.uvu.edu/graduatestudies/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I never got an email about my app being under review. I submitted everything, got the confirmation email about the supplemental app, then got an invite. It seemed like it happened pretty quickly. I took the CASper test at the end of June.


When did your submit your caspa app and the supplemental app?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Caitlin16 said:

 


When did your submit your caspa app and the supplemental app?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

My CASPA app was submitted May 28th, supplemental app was May 27th. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My CASPA app was submitted May 28th, supplemental app was May 27th. 

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your interview!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was asked if I would post/share my stats. Hope this is useful info.

Undergrad Ed School: Pacific University BHS

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.66 (CASPA)

Science GPA: 3.45 (CASPA)

 

Direct Patient Care : over 12,000 hrs

CNA, Phlebotomist, Medical Assistant, Ophthalmic Technician 

 

Shadowing: about 450 hrs total

Family Practice Doctor and Hospitalist PA’s

 

Volunteering: about 2,500 hrs total

Washington State: Fish Lab/Hatchery, Patient Ambassador, Mentor to incarcerated youth

Mexico: Working on Avocado Farm, Community Center Head Gardener, Built Compost Toilets, ESL Teacher

Indonesia/Thailand: ESL Teacher  

 

Schools Applied: 6 

Application Submitted Date: Submitted CASPA on 05/28

I was waitlisted for MCPHS Worcester, still waiting to hear back from the portal on final decision from last app cycle. Program starts 01/2020. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who are interviewing on July 20th, and planning on attending the pre interview campus tour. What are the guys wearing? I'm split between formal (suit) or business casual (dress shirt with or with out the tie). 

Also, does anyone know what is meant when they are asking for two passport photos? 

Any input would be appreciated, thanks! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My application was verified on 7/2. I haven't heard anything from UVU. However, today I got the idea to check my junk mail. I didn't find any invites, but I found the verification emails from both Utah and UVU saying my application was complete and that they received my CASPer scores.

So.... don't forget to check your junk mail folder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BrockV21 said:

Those who are interviewing on July 20th, and planning on attending the pre interview campus tour. What are the guys wearing? I'm split between formal (suit) or business casual (dress shirt with or with out the tie). 

Also, does anyone know what is meant when they are asking for two passport photos? 

Any input would be appreciated, thanks! 

What do you mean by "pre-interview campus tour?" Do you mean the information sessions? I went to an information session 4 months ago. If that's what you mean, it's casual. The group is large and the session is led by the pre-PA advisor, Denise Fullmer. There's really nothing she went over that isn't on the website. At that time, she didn't know anyone being hired and made it clear that she has no pull. There was a short Q&A before the session ended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Miguel said:

What do you mean by "pre-interview campus tour?" Do you mean the information sessions? I went to an information session 4 months ago. If that's what you mean, it's casual. The group is large and the session is led by the pre-PA advisor, Denise Fullmer. There's really nothing she went over that isn't on the website. At that time, she didn't know anyone being hired and made it clear that she has no pull. There was a short Q&A before the session ended.

For people attending the interview on July 20th, there is an option tour of the campus the day before. It is not an info session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BrockV21 said:

Those who are interviewing on July 20th, and planning on attending the pre interview campus tour. What are the guys wearing? I'm split between formal (suit) or business casual (dress shirt with or with out the tie). 

Also, does anyone know what is meant when they are asking for two passport photos? 

Any input would be appreciated, thanks! 

Yes, they require we bring two passport photos you can have taken at Walgreens or a similar store offering the service or a post office that does passport processing. 

Personally, I would wear business casual to the tour.  I am unable to attend due to driving 15 hours to get there. Wish I could. Hope you enjoy the tour!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MZHolden said:

For people attending the interview on July 20th, there is an option tour of the campus the day before. It is not an info session.

Oh. Lucky.... I'm uber jealous.

Personally, I'd ask Denise to see what she knows.

https://www.uvu.edu/directory/employee/?id=UStKcnEwWXN2MVJsTDdKWm85ZFVsdz09

Is your whole family invited to the tour?? I'm alum and live 20 minutes away from the school. I can come disguised as your cool uncle. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MZHolden said:

Yes, they require we bring two passport photos you can have taken at Walgreens or a similar store offering the service or a post office that does passport processing. 

Personally, I would wear business casual to the tour.  I am unable to attend due to driving 15 hours to get there. Wish I could. Hope you enjoy the tour!

I’m wearing business casual. I attended an info session in April, but I think this is a campus tour. I think a suit is overkill for a campus tour. Although I attended an info session and I’m a Utah local, I want to show them I am completely dedicated and committed to the program. Although a tour has nothing to do with admissions into the program, you never know who is watching or observing and this type of information just might get passed on to the admissions committee.

I believe MZHolden is right about the passport photos, but I reached out to them the today to clarify. I’ll post once I hear back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, MZHolden said:

I was asked if I would post/share my stats. Hope this is useful info.

Undergrad Ed School: Pacific University BHS

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.66 (CASPA)

Science GPA: 3.45 (CASPA)

 

Direct Patient Care : over 12,000 hrs

CNA, Phlebotomist, Medical Assistant, Ophthalmic Technician 

 

Shadowing: about 450 hrs total

Family Practice Doctor and Hospitalist PA’s

 

Volunteering: about 2,500 hrs total

Washington State: Fish Lab/Hatchery, Patient Ambassador, Mentor to incarcerated youth

Mexico: Working on Avocado Farm, Community Center Head Gardener, Built Compost Toilets, ESL Teacher

Indonesia/Thailand: ESL Teacher  

 

Schools Applied: 6 

Application Submitted Date: Submitted CASPA on 05/28

I was waitlisted for MCPHS Worcester, still waiting to hear back from the portal on final decision from last app cycle. Program starts 01/2020. 

 

For those of you worrying about stats, don’t! Don’t fall into the pitfall of comparing yourself to others. Rather, focus on yourself and how you can make your self a better applicant. Someone is always going to have a better GPA, more health care experience, more volunteer hours, etc.

I know it’s hard, trust me. I’m not your average applicant when it comes to GPA. I’ve worried and stressed about that for years. This is my 3rd time applying. In hindsight, I shouldn’t have applied the first time. I was dealing with some very serious and personal family tragedies and I wasn’t in the right place emotionally or mentally to be applying to PA school. The 2nd time I received 2 interviews. I can’t change the past, but I can learn from it, and I have. This cycle instead of getting so caught up on the stats of everyone else, I focused on my self, my strengths, and what I have to offer. Before I was getting too caught up in trying to mold myself in what I thought I wanted admission committees to hear, rather than telling them what I want them to know.

My overall GPA is a 3.17 and my science GPA is a 3.05. At face value my GPA is severely under the national average for accepted students. However, you dig a little deeper, and you will see that my post bachelor science GPA is a 3.59 and post bachelor overall GPA is a 3.63. I took 90 + % of my prerequisites after I got my bachelors degree. I have 12-15k patient/healthcare hours and 5,000 plus volunteer hours. I only have about 50-60 hours of shadowing experience, but I also have worked with PA’s on almost a daily basis for the past 5 years. MZHolden has way more shadowing hours, has significantly higher GPA, and great patient care and volunteer hours.

I understand you are trying to have a benchmark, but don’t fall into the negative cyclone of comparisons. I should have given up a long time ago if I constantly compared myself to the “average” applicant. Your unique and have something unique to offer. Determine what that is and focus on it. Build your application up from that. There’s nothing I can do now that will significantly impact my GPA, but I found other ways to try and stand out like becoming an EMT and volunteering at a free healthcare clinic. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, baj0411 said:

I’m wearing business casual. I attended an info session in April, but I think this is a campus tour. I think a suit is overkill for a campus tour. Although I attended an info session and I’m a Utah local, I want to show them I am completely dedicated and committed to the program. Although a tour has nothing to do with admissions into the program, you never know who is watching or observing and this type of information just might get passed on to the admissions committee.

I believe MZHolden is right about the passport photos, but I reached out to them the today to clarify. I’ll post once I hear back.

I called them already and that is the info they gave me abut the photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great! Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be having to go get some passport photos taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is UVU’s direct response they sent me regarding the passport photos. “We really just need two passport sized photos and figured the easiest way would be to pay the $10 at the post office to get them. If you already have two current passport sized photos, then you can bring them instead”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WigginsD said:

How did the first round of interviews go?

Very well. It was fun. It was intense, the way there were different interviews, but not terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got an invitation to interview on August 10 today!! 

In regards to passport size photos, in the email they sent today it states " plan on us taking a photo of you during registration". Did the other emails explicitly state to bring passport size photos? Cause I don't see that anywhere in this email?? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 2:48 PM, baj0411 said:

Here is UVU’s direct response they sent me regarding the passport photos. “We really just need two passport sized photos and figured the easiest way would be to pay the $10 at the post office to get them. If you already have two current passport sized photos, then you can bring them instead”

I have an interview on August 10th and it said I should email a bio, updated resume, and send in a document they required us to fill out. I didn't see anything about passport photos??? Where was the instruction located on your interview invite? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, MZHolden said:

I also got an interview for July 20th! Super EXCITED! Just waiting for the follow up email with the information/instructions. Best of luck and hope to see some of you there.

Did they give you a time frame on when they'd get back to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mg392132 said:

I have an interview on August 10th and it said I should email a bio, updated resume, and send in a document they required us to fill out. I didn't see anything about passport photos??? Where was the instruction located on your interview invite? 

It sounds like they have already changed up some of their interview day requirements. It was located under the day of interview instructions. If it’s not there, then they have probably changed how they are going to collect them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By PrePA1208
      I worked as a PRN rehab technician for about 3 months (roughly 20 hours a week) before I became Full-Time (40 hours a week).  How do I record this change in hours? Do I make two separate entries or average the hours per week?  My hours for PRN also varied each week, with weeks working up to 30 hours and sometimes only 15 hours. Do I need to record this somehow? I also do not understand how PA schools validate that the numbers of hours stated are honest. Is there some sort of validation document needed from each employer from past jobs.  Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
    • By wallsmp
      I thought I’d start this since I didn’t see any posts about this application cycle yet. Has anyone heard back besides the normal “we received your application” email?
    • By Jaykayleen
      I was checking my verified application & I have “Punjabi” listed under “native language”.  On CASPA my response to “first language” was “Punjabi”.   To clarify, I am fluent in English. (I’ve been speaking English since I was 5!! I answered to "first language" quite literally.) Will I run into any problem with PA programs? Would they assume otherwise?   --I was born in California and went to schools K-12 in Cali and then Uni of Cali, Santa Cruz for undergrad. Has anyone else experienced this?
      **The application is locked & I am unable to change it to English**


    • By mjc03
      Hi everyone.  Thought I'd start the discussion for the 2019-2020 application cycle.  Good luck!
    • By sunnyday88
      Hi! Kicking things off here since I didn't see a thread for this cycle. Type away.. 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More