How do I record my PCE hours on CASPA if I went from PRN to Full-Time for the same position?

I worked as a PRN rehab technician for about 3 months (roughly 20 hours a week) before I became Full-Time (40 hours a week).  How do I record this change in hours? Do I make two separate entries or average the hours per week?  My hours for PRN also varied each week, with weeks working up to 30 hours and sometimes only 15 hours. Do I need to record this somehow? I also do not understand how PA schools validate that the numbers of hours stated are honest. Is there some sort of validation document needed from each employer from past jobs.  Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

On 11/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, PrePA1208 said:

I worked as a PRN rehab technician for about 3 months (roughly 20 hours a week) before I became Full-Time (40 hours a week).  How do I record this change in hours? Do I make two separate entries or average the hours per week?  My hours for PRN also varied each week, with weeks working up to 30 hours and sometimes only 15 hours. Do I need to record this somehow? I also do not understand how PA schools validate that the numbers of hours stated are honest. Is there some sort of validation document needed from each employer from past jobs.  Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

I would say take the average- I asked my employer for my total hour sheet and then divided it up per week. You could explain in the description but I think an average is fine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, Allegro said:

Select "per diem" instead of full time or part time for the type and then put in the average. In the description, you can better explain your actual time commitment.

Would you still say to do this considering they went from part-time (via PRN) to Full-Time and is currently working full time? 

I may be totally wrong in my perception, but I feel like they would weigh (to some degree, even if not entirely consciously) seeing the job was a full time position over seeing it was a part time or per diem position --  Obviously can't flat out tell lies, as that's well.. just jacked up to even consider and will ultimately show itself in it's deception, but considering it's a full time job now .. I just feel there's only upside to select full time at this point... is this belief totally wrong or do I have some semblance of a leg to stand on?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 8:17 PM, mliggett said:

Would you still say to do this considering they went from part-time (via PRN) to Full-Time and is currently working full time? 

I may be totally wrong in my perception, but I feel like they would weigh (to some degree, even if not entirely consciously) seeing the job was a full time position over seeing it was a part time or per diem position --  Obviously can't flat out tell lies, as that's well.. just jacked up to even consider and will ultimately show itself in it's deception, but considering it's a full time job now .. I just feel there's only upside to select full time at this point... is this belief totally wrong or do I have some semblance of a leg to stand on?

There is no 100% correct way to do it. Sure, you can enter the job twice, one as full time and one as part time, but that means duplicating a lot of info just for hours which schools generally don't like.  You can just put full time and manipulate the hours to work out to what you want. However, Per Diem as a category exists specifically to accommodate the varying schedule nature of many pre-PA jobs, and it is not unusual (or detrimental) for applicants to select it.  If schools are looking at your app, their main concern is the number of hours (so get that as close as possible). If they are getting so granular that they are looking at your time commitment, they are also reading the job description where you can say you were full and part time.

Edited by Allegro