Hi, everyone!

What are your thoughts on applying to programs with a ARC-PA probationary accreditation status (i.e., "Accreditation-Probation")?

I'm a first-time applicant, and a couple schools that I have my eye on currently have probationary statuses (Johnson & Wales University; Monmouth University). I was wondering if it's worth applying to said schools, especially to ones that have had a probationary status for more than two years

Although these schools are still considered accredited, is it safe to apply to & then attend these schools? Do these schools prepare students to become competent & trustworthy healthcare professionals? Are these schools worth the debt? My concern is enrolling in a school with probationary accreditation and graduating as a sub par PA-C, but those are just my uncertain sentiments at the moment. 

Moreover, I've read that applying to these schools may be advantageous to some who aren't considered "strong applicants" (e.g., average grades/GRE). On the other hand, I've seen "strong applicants" display their admiration & loyalty to these schools here on PA Forum. I'm confused! Let's open up the discussion!

Edited by PAshleyS
Added specific names of schools

One of the local PA schools by me was put on probation 2 years ago and just got renewed for probation. Ive had a lot of coworkers who are currently at that PA school and they have passed the PANCE and this past year the school had 100% passing rate. Its a great school and I love the staff so I am going to be applying. Its all how you perceive the school I think! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, Patricia5827 said:

One of the local PA schools by me was put on probation 2 years ago and just got renewed for probation. Ive had a lot of coworkers who are currently at that PA school and they have passed the PANCE and this past year the school had 100% passing rate. Its a great school and I love the staff so I am going to be applying. Its all how you perceive the school I think! 

That's great to hear! I've talked to a couple other people and they have said similar things about their perspective probationary programs. I think the only concern that I would have after the fact is if the program's administration is actively making improvements to eventually reach "Accreditation-Continued." Thanks for replying & good luck!

On 1/2/2020 at 4:18 PM, UGoLong said:

I think the "why" of probation is important to know. You should be able to find it at their website. Take a look and decide.

Definitely. Thanks for your input! I've noticed that some programs are more transparent regarding their accreditation status than others. I've also read that there is "administrative probation" versus "academic probation." I don't know which one is more unsettling.