Well it finally happened here...

I have seen this kind of madness reported elsewhere but my organization just announced each provider's "star rating" based on Press Gainey scores will be published on our web site and available on Google. The project is supported by all the people in admin that don't see patients.

Resumes are being sent now.

The problem is I work in UC where we are often at odds with people's expectations such as wanting antibiotics for colds. Combine that with admin making stupid policies that leave us to suffer the abuse of angry patients and THEN publish our Press-Gainey scores? It is just too much.

I have sent my resume to 4 different jobs in the last 15 minutes. It's time to shuffle on.

Well they already lost 50% + of the APPs. The leadership is like a bunch of Moonies...all Press-Gainey and patient satisfaction while giving lip service to employee satisfaction. They actually said, with a strait face, losing 50% of their APPs from the UC in a year was "normal attrition." They are deluding themselves.  Criminey...

Our company just announced we are not using Press Gainey anymore! Yayyy!

Now we are using another ratings system (forgot the name) that's EXACTLY like Press Gainey... Our admin used to be 90% ex clinical people who moved up to management and were sympathetic to clinicians needs for the most part.

Our company is one of the highest payers for APPs and we were pretty happy here but recently the board, wanting to "keep up" with Kaiser, Sutter, Stanford Health, University Health (UC) and the myriad of other large corporate Healthcare entities moving in on Medicine in the area, brought in new management from the east coast who are 90% Non Clinical and we are seeing the drop-off in providers (we lost 5 docs and 6 APPs in 2 years almost a month apart resignations).

I am the only PA left in Primary Care. The other APPs in PC but 2 (all NPs) are choosing our after hours (think low level UC/minute clinic type) clinic vs Continuity care. I have been approached by several specialty clinic medical directors (PM&R, Neurosurgery, Occ Med, and GI) to see if I would like to switch shops. (I have backgrounds in these specialties).

I'm staying put for now but I'm thinking of going back to my private practice but the downside of that is less pay and Bennies and perhaps going 1099...

Right now I'm on disability (non work related) but when I recuperate, I have to start to think of an exit strategy. I'm either going to leave primary care or corporate Healthcare or both. Or leave clinical practice altogether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Administrator
13 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Rev I suspect they would call it a condition of employment. They pay for the data on us as employees and are free to use it as they see fit.

Yeah, they can do that, but we can also negotiate it into or out of contracts, just like call.  If a larger organization wants to hire me, there will be a clause about reviews...

3 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Yeah, they can do that, but we can also negotiate it into or out of contracts, just like call.  If a larger organization wants to hire me, there will be a clause about reviews...

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but then you wont get hired in the vast majority of places at least here in Texas.  It's just not something that is up for negotiation.  Especially with the over saturated job market the way it is.

Sas I dont know if there are any in your area but you might want to look into college health. In a university setting you are immune to the satisfaction metrics used by for-profit entities. The patient population is also pretty good (young, healthy, little drug-seeking) and you get the benefits of being on an academic calendar.

Downsides are you have to put up with some liberal post-modern identity politics (LGTBQ/trans care and mental health screening shoved down your throat) but it's a small price to pay overall.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Cideous said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but then you wont get hired in the vast majority of places at least here in Texas.  It's just not something that is up for negotiation.  Especially with the over saturated job market the way it is.

There's your problem.  I could make a LOT more money than I do, but if money was the issue, I could go work as a HIPAA consultant, live out of my suitcase, see my family maybe one week per month, and clear $250k a year.  I intentionally 1) work multiple jobs, so no one job has a stranglehold on my livelihood, and 2) work for smaller places where I can argue face-to-face with the decision maker(s).  THAT has its own drawbacks, but I strongly prefer freedom over 401(k)s.

14 hours ago, rev ronin said:

This isnt realistic in major hospital systems. They dont really negotiate significant concessions with PA's. Its basically take it or leave it anymore at larger places...even "prestigious universities"... If you aint doing research, your moving meat

Rev,  I would be forever unemployed and blacklisted if I came at any employer they way you suggest.  It just isn't realistic in the real world basing my opinion on 32 years experience in FP.  As en emploer if some PA came at me with this is what I will and will not do or have done, I would politely get up and hold the door so it didn't hit them where the good lord split him!  There are a lot of PA's out there looking for jobs.  Just my opinion based on life experiences as an employer in NYC and an employee in Texas.

4 hours ago, TWR said:

Rev,  I would be forever unemployed and blacklisted if I came at any employer they way you suggest.  It just isn't realistic in the real world basing my opinion on 32 years experience in FP.  As en emploer if some PA came at me with this is what I will and will not do or have done, I would politely get up and hold the door so it didn't hit them where the good lord split him!  There are a lot of PA's out there looking for jobs.  Just my opinion based on life experiences as an employer in NYC and an employee in Texas.

^^^

Exactly.  Mic drop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 9/26/2018 at 9:24 AM, TWR said:

Yep, large corporate medicine is like that.  You have the choice to resist or submit.  Resisting usually means being a lot less direct than I am on the forum, since I'm focusing on what to say, not how to say it.  If anyone wants lessons from me in diplomacy, then that would be a different topic. ?

I've left two PA jobs so far, both because of how they wanted me to practice medicine.  One of them just hired me back at a decent salary increase, I'm guessing because the staff and patients actually liked how I did medicine.

But your point about market saturation is a very, very good thing: We need to take positive action to keep the job market from being oversaturated, PRECISELY BECAUSE we then get treated like replaceable parts.  That's not the case around here, but NYC is lousy with new grad PAs.

"You have the choice to resist or submit."

Yes.... after 18 months of beating my head against the wall about bone head ideas cooked up by people who don't seem to understand what we do I just gave up. I pay no attention to any crazy stuff coming out of admin because I can't change it and they don't want my (or anyone's) opinions about anything that contradicts what they have decided to do.

It has been liberating in many ways. I come to work...see patients...go home. Lather, rinse, repeat. If they have some crazy policy or thing that needs to be done I just ignore it until someone makes me. So far I'm ignoring most everything and nobody seems to be noticing. This morning the head of outpatient medicine sent a survey link. The first thing it asked for was your name.... nope. No name...no opinion. Wheeeeeeee......

Archived