Do PAs take work home with them?

Don't take your work home for Christ sake.

No Blasphemy! It is not okay to use the name of GOD in Vain and yes do not take work home with you, if you do than you are essentially working (earning rich people money) for free.

No work from home for me, though it is nice to know that I can access Cerner charts from home in case our system goes down and I could complete the note from there (knock on wood that that hasn't happened, yet).

I had that happen a couple times - the regional server crashed once and one day we had a power bump and my computer got fried for some reason (guess the surge protector failed)...luckily my home laptop was nearby with my net stick, so I could get things back up, but it was pretty slow at that point, so had to work from home again anyway.

SK

Never. Ever. Don't work for free. If you can't chart in time to go home, write briefer notes. The reason people in primary care consider taking work home is because you are doing unpaid work all day long. Prescription refill over the phone? No pay but time suck. Nurse visit coverage for another doctor in the clinic? No pay but major time suck. Patient demanding calls over nonsense? No pay but major depressing time suck. 

PAs need to obtain Independent practice in order to start our own firms. We won't be enslaved to corporate masters telling us to work for free all day long. 

It depends. I had a contract job where I was paid per patient doing disability exams for the VA. The charting system was long, tedious, and onerous. It would have been impossible to do it in the office and it required a series of email-based signatures. So I did work from home then. But I was also getting over $300 per patient.

For most regular jobs the answer is absolutely not. The people who do definitely choose to.

I'm working outpatient psych and don't take work home with me, but I stay on top of my emails.  Patient's email directly or the office is emailing about my patients.  So, to prevent coming in Monday morning to 3 dozen emails, I will just manage them Fri through Sunday.  

If you are hourly or salary doesn't make any difference.

Aside from the military...

The pay you negotiated and agreed to accept was based upon the standard 2080 hours per year.

Now recalculate your pay based upon the actual hrs you are doing things for the practice and not getting paid.

You will soon realize that you are working for LPN-RN money with a WHOLE LOT MORE liability and headaches.

STOP WORKING FOR FREE...!

If you are hourly or salary doesn't make any difference.

Aside from the military...

The pay you negotiated and agreed to accept was based upon the standard 2080 hours per year.

Now recalculate your pay based upon the actual hrs you are doing things for the practice and not getting paid.

You will soon realize that you are working for LPN-RN money with a WHOLE LOT MORE liability and headaches.

STOP WORKING FOR FREE...!

Where is the MEGA like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived