Do PAs take work home with them?

I used to chart form home. I posted on here a few times on how I loathe doing that... I dont do that anymore. I figure I'm not in school anymore so I shouldn't have to do homework. Lol. I setup templates for charting on my EHR now and usually finish charting either by day's end or I stay a half hour or so later.

I do not, will not take charts home. I don't like them Sam (err... joelseff) I am...

Yeah not much of a poet ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I try not to take patients home with me.. sometimes they try and follow me but I just change my heading and try and lose them.. I've heard there are also ethical and potential legal ramifications as well..

JK

In all seriousness.. I try not to do any charting from home.. but work never escapes me with friends, family, and etc always asking for medical advice.. I just also started being put onto our call rotation (I volunteered for a bump in pay).

I'm also a Lead at one of my jobs at an Urgent Care and I'm constantly having to take care of issues (like call offs) from home.

I try not to take patients home with me.. sometimes they try and follow me but I just change my heading and try and lose them.. I've heard there are also ethical and potential legal ramifications as well..

JK

In all seriousness.. I try not to do any charting from home.. but work never escapes me with friends, family, and etc always asking for medical advice.. I just also started being put onto our call rotation (I volunteered for a bump in pay).

I'm also a Lead at one of my jobs at an Urgent Care and I'm constantly having to take care of issues (like call offs) from home.

I used to get curb sided by family, usually at family gatherings. Fortunately for me, there are a lot of Nurses in my family (I'm Filipino, Duh lol) and they LOVE giving advice and usually jump in or are asked before me because some family members still don't know what a PA is.

The times that I am asked a medical question if it's a nonspecific medical question I answer it but when they ask for medical advice I almost always say "what did you an d your doctor decide?" or "what did your doctor say about it?" then I usually say "that sounds reasonable" if it is and if it isn't or they seem hesitant about the doctor's advice, I usually say something like "you seem hesitant about it, you should do your research and discuss it more with your doctor."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PAs take work home in a variety of ways.

I have the ability to finish charts at home on our EHR. Rather than sit in the dark in my office alone while it is snowing, I have chosen to get home safely - eat dinner with my family and then finish the charts while my kids do homework and my husband putters in the garage. Is it perfect? NO. Is it worth it? - yes, to be with my family for dinner. Should I do it forever? NO

As discussed before - my job is less than ideal with 10 minute time slots and too much going on with little support. Charts have to be done - patients have to be seen. I have little say.

Two interviews this week.

On the other hand - family practice particularly has always stuck with me. My patients have stories and they tell me and those stories take up space in me. I have woken in the middle of the night realizing I forgot to renew an Rx. I have shed tears over patients with bad diagnoses and poor prognoses - it matters. I have cussed and vented about less than ideal patients who upset me. That is taking work home too.

In my ideal medical world - there would be enough time to get everything done and NOT take shit home. It is not currently working that way.

For new grads - look for the pitfalls and investigate the current habits and see what other providers are doing or are expected to do on a regular basis.

Live and learn. Try hard to not get hosed. ALWAYS do right by the patient.

I have been wondering about this topic as well!

I am a new grad and just started work (2/1) at a very busy GI office.  It's a small practice with just a physician and NP (and now me) working, and they are very behind on charts (as well as other paperwork).  I have been told that this weekend, I must work on the charts of patients that they've seen in the office over the past month that they just haven't been able to finalize.  I need to edit the notes for spelling, consistency, etc., bill, and then sign off on them.  I was wondering if other PA's do this on charts of patients that they haven't seen (especially when they're a new grad), or if I was just being a wimp about the situation.

There are various other things about this practice that have been weighing on me, but that will probably end up in a different thread.

I am a new grad and just started work (2/1) at a very busy GI office.  It's a small practice with just a physician and NP (and now me) working, and they are very behind on charts (as well as other paperwork).  I have been told that this weekend, I must work on the charts of patients that they've seen in the office over the past month that they just haven't been able to finalize.  I need to edit the notes for spelling, consistency, etc., bill, and then sign off on them.  I was wondering if other PA's do this on charts of patients that they haven't seen (especially when they're a new grad), or if I was just being a wimp about the situation.

There are various other things about this practice that have been weighing on me, but that will probably end up in a different thread.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I can't believe you're even bringing those issues up... You should not be signing off an ANY charts of patients you have not seen. EVER! Also, you are not a scribe or coder/biller so you should NOT be editing their charts and/or coding. Plus, are you getting paid to do weekend work?

NOT REMOTELY KOSHER OR LIKELY LEGAL.

IF YOU NEVER SAW THE PATIENT AND DID NOT WORK THERE THEN - NOT YOUR CONCERN

NO, NO , NO

Don't do this. Please. You are going to get yourself into a world of hurt. It sounds illegal - you are signing your name to documentation on a patient you never saw! Think about this. How are you going to back it up in court? You weren't even an employee when some of these patients were seen.

• Administrator

Don't do it! You are not their assistant! You are putting your license and hardwork in danger!

To be clear, you CAN legally edit for spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.  You're not a scribe, but if they want to pay you PA wages and overtime to help them organize charts--it's a waste of your skills and their money, demeaning way to start a PA career, but not more problematic than that.

What you CANNOT do is certify that the chart is accurate by signing it.  That's the provider's job who saw the patient.  If you edit the chart, do not sign it, and route it back to the performing provider, that's OK: they sign it, it's on them.

, bill, and then sign off on them.  I was wondering if other PA's do this on charts of patients that they haven't seen

The very definition of fraud.  Quit this job, right now, today, Sunday.  You are breaking the law and committing fraud by doing this.  When it comes to light, and it will, you will lose your license, probably permanently.  

Not even to mention the type of providers that would pull this.  I'll just bet you got other problems, as you say!

In a totally unrelated note that I will just leave here for no reason, Medicare pays for reporting fraud.  Did you know?  Just saying, for no reason whatsoever.

Archived