Online Classes-Add to the List!

Hey Everyone! I'm interested in taking a few online classes within the Colorado Community College system. However, before applying they have you choose a "home school" out of the 11 or so schools. Is there anyway to check and see what classes are already filled up at what colleges before choosing that as a home school? Or would I have to register at all of them to see whats available? I'd hate to register for a school only to find out the class is full. Thanks for any input!

You should check with them but I think you just pick a homes shcool because they would handle your registration, admissions, tuition ect---from there you should take classes throughout the system.....you shoudl give them a call and chek though

Hey Everyone! I'm interested in taking a few online classes within the Colorado Community College system. However, before applying they have you choose a "home school" out of the 11 or so schools. Is there anyway to check and see what classes are already filled up at what colleges before choosing that as a home school? Or would I have to register at all of them to see whats available? I'd hate to register for a school only to find out the class is full. Thanks for any input!

I'm currently re-taking Organic Chem I online with Dr. Sandberg and it's great! Both online Organic I and II is offered at North Carolina State University. The good part is...even though it's distance Ed, on your transcript it will show as a regular course....in case a few PA schools had issues with it but it's just as challenging as it would be going to the lecture.

http://www.ncsu.edu

Even if the schools do not list it as an online class----CASPA now asks you to identify online courses SO if you live in one state and are taking a class in another but you list it as regular as opposed to online....that could create some issues

I'm currently re-taking Organic Chem I online with Dr. Sandberg and it's great! Both online Organic I and II is offered at North Carolina State University. The good part is...even though it's distance Ed, on your transcript it will show as a regular course....in case a few PA schools had issues with it but it's just as challenging as it would be going to the lecture.

http://www.ncsu.edu

True....

however it has to be taken at the same school to be listed as a repeat course....and if you didnt take both attempts at the same school you still have to list the second attempt as online

Although if it is a retake you could choose to list it as repeat instead of online

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that varies between professors....not schools

Thanks for the help, just_me! I know in a previous reply you stated that CCCOnline is completely online, but do you know if this includes the midterms and final exams as well? Or are these proctored like other online colleges? Thanks for any input!

• 4 weeks later...
Ok so what do PA schools think of taking online courses? Can anyone field that?

I have contacted a few PA schools asking about online classes. None would accept them for science pre-reqs. All were okay with things like English, History, etc being taken online but not the science or math classes.

If anyone has an example of a PA program that will allow science classes to be taken online please post a link.

I decided to go Medic in the Army so with deployment and all that fun stuff on campus courses may not be an option. The Army IPAP program will allow you to take your pre-req classes online but if you are not accepted in to the program and want to get out and become a PA in the civilian world all those online classes might be a waste of time.

I looked in to online B.S. degree programs that will transition in to PA school and when I asked specifically about some like a B.S.N. from the University of Phoenix. I was told that an online degree even with a great GPA probably wouldn't be given the same weight on an application as a on campus degree with a lower GPA. A degree from an accredited school by law has to be accepted but that doesn't mean they will look at it in the same light as a degree you earned on campus.

Hell, I know a few people myself with degrees from the University of Phoenix that can't get jobs at all because employers look at their degrees like they are trash.

One guy with years of experience and a B.S. from U of P was passed over for a kid fresh out of community college with an associate degree.

Maybe in a few years when more people are getting online degrees things will change but the diploma mill schools ruined the reputation of online classes and degrees.

Has anyone gotten accepted in to a PA program with an online degree? If so from where, what was your degree in and what school accepted you?

Guest DanyelleS

Hi everyone... I'm not looking to be a PA anymore but I wanted to give an update in this thread. I took Microbiology through Mountain State University's Independent Study and it was ridiculous! The lab portion was not that difficult, since you really couldn't do any real labs (it was just exams with questions about microscopes, stains, different lab tests, etc). Between lecture and lab I think there were eight exams and 2 papers, and however many lab reports, and a couple of case studies. The exams were the ridiculous part, though, but I suppose good preparation for PA/Med/Vet school. I learned/memorized all of the stuff that I thought seemed important and like it would show up on a test, but the questions were really weird and random. Obviously this is not a real question from the exam, but if you could feel confident answering a question like "Which of the following has four legs: (a) chicken (b) stool © comb (d) centipede" then you might be okay in this course.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone taken online immunology at uc Berkeley extension? What did you think of the professor and class?

I am looking at this class and was hoping someone here has some feedback. I have all my prereqs finished and have applied for this year but want to continue to take classes just in case I don't get accepted this time around. Besides this sounds like an interesting class. I am just a little apprehensive about taking an online class....and it's $800.

I have contacted a few PA schools asking about online classes. None would accept them for science pre-reqs. All were okay with things like English, History, etc being taken online but not the science or math classes.

UC Davis is one of many that will accept online pre-reqs. The issue that many programs have is with labs---some online courses do not have labs which many programs want and some programs do not want online labs. To get links do what i did and call around...I have been in contact wiith 75% or more of the programs out there. I do not have links to post and wouldnt do it anyway because standards change but I will say that when I was researching UC Davis wasnt the only program.......

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm looking for a self paced, online Medical Terminology course STAT! :o) Since it is the end of Sept I'm sure that is all that I will be able to find at this point in order to complete by the end of the year. I ended up with a really bad Med Term professor at the local college and I don't want her to ruin my gpa. Any help would be soooooooooooooooooooooooo appreciated. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

CCCO has the classes all together. You pick which ever home school you want but you will actually take classes through CCCO.

I'm taking classes there now. It's kinda pricey at around $270 per credit hour. The classes seem cool so far but there's tons of homework and such. Each class takes more time than a traditional class.

Some classes have lectures in mp3 format so you can listen to them; others have them in multimedia. The professors for the most part seem okay but one actually told me to Google an answer to a queastion I had when I emailed him to ask. Seriously, someone asks a specific question and rather than just responding with an answer you say "google it" what a schmuck. If I wanted to google my education I wouldn't pay over $1000 for a class. But CCCO does offer a bunch of classes I didn't find any place else.

Hey Everyone! Just in case anyone is curious, I've been taking the online Intro to Physiology class through UC Berkeley's Extension. The class requirements includes 8 units, 6 of them each having a worksheet to complete and a small article write-up. Two of the units are just exams to take - basically mid-terms. Although the requirements aren't that bad, I would not recommend this class. I'm having trouble with the worksheets as the questions are ill-worded, random and do not relate to the text. Even with googling for hours, I can only come up with a mediocre answer. If I e-mail the professor, I either never get a response or I get an auto-generated response. Looking through the class forum, it seems as if past students have had the same problem. I've recieved A's on the 3 units I've submitted, but a part of me feels that he doesn't even look through what I've sent to him. Everything is online except for the final. I feel confident in teaching myself the material, but I just felt like sharing my experience in case someone was looking for a physiology class with a professor that actually existed. Good luck with your classes everyone!

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

I am not a PA or PA student.

I found this forum from allnurses.com

I work as a microbiology lab assistant.

I'm just posted to thank everyone who posted links in this thread.

I will save you the gruesome details of my academic failures but I am in the process of completing my BS in biology from Excelsior 100% online.

These links were BEYOND useful in finding upper level biology courses and comparing costs.

This was tricky for me because the next step after obtaining my degree would be to sit for ACM's registered microbiologist exam. It requires 20 microbiology related credits of which I only needed to find 5 more. This sticky is awesome!!!