Online Classes-Add to the List!

I spoke with Mary Blanding, the Admissions Coordinator. Had you previously spoken with someone else at the school?

As an aside, have you tried Santa Monica College? I've been taking my prereq's there, and have had no problem enrolling in anything thus far. I've been enrolled in Anatomy, Physio and Chem 10 (I needed to brush up on basic Chem before jumping into the actually required Chemistry classes).

Guest DanyelleS

I took A&P I and II through Mayville State University (ND). I think it cost about $1000 a course, 4 credits each. They mail you the specimens that you will dissect (rat, eyeball, etc) so that is pretty neat. I took 1st semester during the Spring and got an A, took the accelerated 2nd semester during the summer and got a B+. There is alot of work but if you have a good grasp on A&P already it isn't that difficult.

Guest DanyelleS

By the way, I would like to mention that I am currently taking Microbiology through Mountain State University. The final grade for the lecture portion is based on 6 exams and 2 papers (one is 3 page paper on a microbiology article and the other is a 5 page paper on a bacterium). The lab grade is based on 2 exams and 3 written case studies. So far I have only taken one exam in the lecture and one in the lab and they left me feeling a little frustrated. I really studied everything that I thought seemed would be on a normal test, but the actual test consisted of the most off the wall questions the professor could find. It seems I am going to have to pretty much memorize the entire textbook word for word.

The distance learning depart isn't that easy to work with, especially considering I am overseas in the middle east, compared to some other schools I have taken courses through. And if anyone ever starts to consider taking an independent study course through U Arkansas, DON'T! Save yourself the headache.

I read every post on this thread and only saw one Connecticut site. I looked at it and it was mostly sketchy online-only schools. Has anyone taken any online courses in CT? I would love to get some instate tuition rates.

I am looking at biochem, immunology, med term, pathophysiology...or some combination of those.

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its actually been mentioned many times at the start of this thread :-) ----most programs are ok with online coursework as long as they are accredited---there are some that do not want pre-reqs online-----there are some that are ok with the lecture online but the labs must be on campus-----there are some that do not take them for pre-reqs at all. It is up to you to make sure you check with each program to see what they will and will not accept

Ok so what do PA schools think of taking online courses? Can anyone field that?

Havent seen that but RioSaldo has a spanish for healthcare providers that you can pretty much start any Monday/No app fee/and I think it has an option where you can take it in 8 weeks instead of 16

spanish medical terminology?

recommended to me by a friend, any leads?

So I thought I would mention Athabasca University. It is in Alberta, Canada but it is regionally accredited in the US by the Middle States Association. Their classes are online or distance learning but their labs are in person in Canada--but are condensed. You have to fly up there to take the lab for 3-5 days per class. This can be expensive, but can be easier on your schedule, depending on your needs and abilities.

They offer a large variety of biology, chemistry and physics classes... too many to list here, at about $900 a class. And you would be looking at about $300-700 for the flight to get to Edmonton. So, it is expensive, but if you need that in person lab and you can't make it to your local one, I thought I would mention it.

Can you take the course without the lab? Some local school may let you take the lab locally with proof that you are registered in the lecture OR that you have already taken it.

So I thought I would mention Athabasca University. It is in Alberta, Canada but it is regionally accredited in the US by the Middle States Association. Their classes are online or distance learning but their labs are in person in Canada--but are condensed. You have to fly up there to take the lab for 3-5 days per class. This can be expensive, but can be easier on your schedule, depending on your needs and abilities.

They offer a large variety of biology, chemistry and physics classes... too many to list here, at about $900 a class. And you would be looking at about $300-700 for the flight to get to Edmonton. So, it is expensive, but if you need that in person lab and you can't make it to your local one, I thought I would mention it.

Can you take the course without the lab? Some local school may let you take the lab locally with proof that you are registered in the lecture OR that you have already taken it.

Some of their classes offer this, some do not. Their website is pretty easy to navigate, you can check the classes you are interested in.