Online Classes-Add to the List!

Hi, I am new to this forum having just recently made the decision to apply to PA school. Right now I am trying to plan my prerequisites. I am lacking all the Chem classes. I can take Chem I & II in the summer & Microbiology & Biochemistry in the fall but I am having trouble finding an online Biochem class which does not require Organic Chemistry. Have not had any luck with a classroom Biochem class w/o that requirement in the Boston area either. Would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Hi, I am new to this forum having just recently made the decision to apply to PA school. Right now I am trying to plan my prerequisites. I am lacking all the Chem classes. I can take Chem I & II in the summer & Microbiology & Biochemistry in the fall but I am having trouble finding an online Biochem class which does not require Organic Chemistry. Have not had any luck with a classroom Biochem class w/o that requirement in the Boston area either. Would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I took online classes from Oregon State (Biochem with Kevin Ahern...wonderful professor), Kansas State (Organic Chem w/ lab), Ocean County College (Microbiology...but my PA program said I didn't need it. Mix up from another school with credits). I've taken a few others but they escape me now.

heyy i'm thinking of taking the biochem course with this school but which course is the right one on their website? also, how much for the whole course..thanks for the help or anyone really....anyone thinking of doing this too?????

I took online classes from Oregon State (Biochem with Kevin Ahern...wonderful professor), Kansas State (Organic Chem w/ lab), Ocean County College (Microbiology...but my PA program said I didn't need it. Mix up from another school with credits). I've taken a few others but they escape me now.

heyy i'm thinking of taking the biochem course with this school but which course is the right one on their website? also, how much for the whole course..thanks for the help or anyone really....anyone thinking of doing this too?????

I have looked, and looked, and looked....anyone know of a place to take Gen Chem that is 8 weeks or so long?

Try ocean.edu

I'm taking their Spring Quick term Gen Chem, and it's 10 weeks. They offer a bunch in the summer, and I believe that there are even more accelerated options than that. You could always do University of New England--it's self-paced, so if you're really motivated you could finish quickly.

Try ocean.edu

I'm taking their Spring Quick term Gen Chem, and it's 10 weeks. They offer a bunch in the summer, and I believe that there are even more accelerated options than that. You could always do University of New England--it's self-paced, so if you're really motivated you could finish quickly.

I e-mailed UNE's advisor, and they said there is no minimum time required to spend on the course. This is great for students (like myself) that have the following situations:

- Want to finish a prerequisite FAST before applying to PA schools (anyone know a good timing? I heard there's a set date for CASPA's first mailings, and that it takes 1 month for it to get to programs.)

- Need the course to be from a higher-learning-accredited degree-granting program.

- Just finished (or are about to) their spring semesters and have all the time to complete the online course.

University of New England does not require organic chem as prereq. Read their syllabus and see. http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/syllabus.html

• 2 weeks later...

If your genetics class does not need to have a lab I suggest University of Phoenix (BIO/410 GENETICS ). One school I applied to actually had it listed as an approved class so I'd contact the schools you're applying to first or request equivilency with the admissions department if it's not listed.

hi all, just wondering if anyone has found a good online genetics course? it's one of the last classes I would like to take - hoping to take it this summer if possible. I'm near the ATL area if anyone has any recommendations for a class around there. Thanks in advance!

If you search this thread for "genetics" there are a bunch of posts with suggestions.

Hi I need to take Microbiology and I'm in the Fairfield county in CT. Any one know of a good online place to take Microbiology?

There are two I am particularly interested. Let me know if anyone's taking it, so that maybe we can come up with a online study / Skype group or something!

University of Phoenix: BIO 340 (Starts 5/8/2012, 5 weeks)

University of New England: DPPP 376 (Starts anytime, self-paced)

Note: One out of five schools I contacted mention that they do prefer UNE over UPX. The majority stated that they do not "discriminate" between programs or courses.

• 3 weeks later...