Hey, everybody! Fairly new here. I’ve been scrolling through other threads on this site regarding recommended online schools for prerequisite courses. A few of the threads are extremely helpful but several years old, so I wanted to start a more contemporary thread in case online school qualities have changed or there are any new ones. 
I’m looking to take biochemistry and anatomy online. Ideally a low price would be great, but a self-paced online course is most important to me considering my current career and associated time restrictions. 
I’ve been looking heavily at UNE for both courses but have heard mixed reviews. Any recommendations or suggestions based on your experiences, for UNE or others?

Thank you so much!

Becca

On 12/13/2020 at 1:06 PM, Dnd13 said:

Did you look into UCSD Extension program. BIOL-40335 

On 12/13/2020 at 9:53 PM, jacbvo said:

I highly recommend UCSD extension. I just took some of their courses and they are not too bad. Microbiology was a bit challenging online though. 

I'm looking into UCSD for anatomy and biochemistry courses. Unfortunately I would have to take both courses at the same time. Based on your experience with this extension school, would it be difficult to take two courses at the same time while working? I work 1 48-hour shift/week on an ambulance so I may be able to handle a heavy course load. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 10:00 PM, beccapolyack said:

I'm looking into UCSD for anatomy and biochemistry courses. Unfortunately I would have to take both courses at the same time. Based on your experience with this extension school, would it be difficult to take two courses at the same time while working? I work 1 48-hour shift/week on an ambulance so I may be able to handle a heavy course load. 

It will be quite challenging, but manageable. As long as you can cram into 3 months of studying it will be worth it. Physiology was a bit harder with the lab portion. I currently work full time and took two classes at the same time. I wouldn’t take more than that if you don’t need to. Best of luck!  

On 12/13/2020 at 11:53 PM, jacbvo said:

I highly recommend UCSD extension. I just took some of their courses and they are not too bad. Microbiology was a bit challenging online though. 

I just signed up for some of their classes, but I noticed that they operate off of quarters not semesters... Did you have any problems having their classes count as enough credits?  (Augsburg for example says that they convert quarter credits to semesters by multiplying x 0.667 .... and some of the classes are only 3 credit classes ...)

Yes the courses are through quarter units. I did not have issue applying to some school as long it fit their pre-requisite requirements. I did not have issues because I calculated the units I needed. So for example if physiology is 6 quarter units that will be 4 semester units (#quarter units/ 1.5= #semester units). I would email Augsburg Uni if you have any questions about credits conversion. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, Aji0227 said:

does anyone know a good anatomy course online? lecture only

I just started taking Biochem at UCSD Extension based on the recommendations above.  The course is great and the online portal, structures and lectures are really user friendly and informative, the assignments and tests are reasonable, and I'm definitely learning the material.  Plus, its a fair bit cheaper than a lot of places like UNE that people use a lot.

Looks like they have both Human Anatomy and Anatomy and Physiology.  It is on quarter credits, so just make sure that they number of credits lines up with your schools requirements!

https://extension.ucsd.edu/site-search?searchtext=anatomy&all=1

• 8 months later...

it doesnt look like there are any available dates for the courses there

On 1/26/2021 at 1:06 PM, empgh said:

I just started taking Biochem at UCSD Extension based on the recommendations above.  The course is great and the online portal, structures and lectures are really user friendly and informative, the assignments and tests are reasonable, and I'm definitely learning the material.  Plus, its a fair bit cheaper than a lot of places like UNE that people use a lot.

Looks like they have both Human Anatomy and Anatomy and Physiology.  It is on quarter credits, so just make sure that they number of credits lines up with your schools requirements!

https://extension.ucsd.edu/site-search?searchtext=anatomy&all=1

thanks, I looked into those, it just doesnt look like there are available dates for any of the courses I need. The courses through UC Berkeley extension look really similar: 

https://extension.berkeley.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=41331&b_source=google&b_medium=cpc&b_campaign=9927112249&b_adgroup=102039735758&b_keyword=%2Bhuman %2Banatomy %2Bonline&b_matchtype=b&b_gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYmXuq-08wIVeXNvBB2HKQTVEAMYASAAEgItU_D_BwE&b_device=c-&b_position=&b_adid=434457356068&b_placement=&b_random=15238394400887932835&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlYmXuq-08wIVeXNvBB2HKQTVEAMYASAAEgItU_D_BwE

Has anyone heard anything about their courses/taken any?

I took online accelerated courses in Chemistry, biology, genetics and med term at Southern California University of Health Sciences. They're expensive, but worth it in my opinion especially given the timeframe you can complete them in if you want (the quickest is a 5 week option - but it's not for the faint of heart!). You register for labs and lecture portions separately, so its possible to take one without the other, if you need either just lab or just lecture. https://acceleratedsciences.scuhs.edu/ 

Good luck!