Online Classes-Add to the List!

spcollege.edu has an online micro lab as well as a few other fl schools....not sure where you are though

if you havent already, check with your local schools first before going out of state...that lab at spc will probably cost somewhere around 300 bucks if you are not a fl resident

The issue isn't me finding an online chemistry course w/ lab. I've found several all over the country.

The issues are:

1) Short term - 8 weeks or less - chem 1 & chem 2 back to back series commencing this fall

AND

2a) courses from California Community Colleges or CSU or UC schools

OR

2b) affordable courses from outside of the area mentioned in 2a

Is didn't think it was too much to ask if a couple of the multitude of courses mentioned fit my parameters. If anyone has any additional info I appreciate your help.

your parameters are particularly specific plus it would be quicker for you to look through the links as opposed to waiting for someone to provide you with an answer which is why I suggested looking through the links....simple stuff like "hey have you seen an online XYZ" is easy to answer

I looked through the posted links a few days ago and found nothing. I'm sure these courses exist and will keep searching for courses in state (or out of state CC/JCs) because I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars for a chemistry course.

Here's my contribution:

California Virtual Campus (listing of distance learning courses at various colleges)

http://www.cvc.edu/

I looked through the posted links a few days ago and found nothing. I'm sure these courses exist and will keep searching for courses in state (or out of state CC/JCs) because I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars for a chemistry course.

Here's my contribution:

California Virtual Campus (listing of distance learning courses at various colleges)

http://www.cvc.edu/

the best thing I can say in your case is look for quarter schools....only problem with that is that most of the schools I have seen like that split them up into three courses not two.....

• 3 weeks later...

I took A&P 1/2 w/lab at Clovis Community College and it does not show that it was online on the transcript. It was a descent course, but I felt it was a little bit too easy compared to the classes that I did during undergrad at FSU. Either way, I have emailed a few colleges and they don't seem to have a problem w/online courses, but that might also be because I am in the military and lack the ability to take some classes at a traditional college.

Has anyone here taken Microbiology online w/the Labpaq? I am taking it this semester at Community College of Colorado and was wondering how well it is taught? Thanks

I haven't done the microbiology class through community college of colorado, but I did take their General Bio I with lab using the labpaq. It went very well. I'm sure the class discussion portion of it will vary depending on the professor, but for the lab part, you are sent all the materials you will need(you may need to provide microscope and some basic household items) and the labpaq comes with a full lab manual cd with mini lab write-ups that have questions for you to answer. It is different having to do all the prep work for the lab yourself, not just walk into a lab and have the TA there to set up and clean up everything. overall, the one I did was very manageable, just make sure you give yourself enough time to finish the lab activities(usually a few hours for general bio, i would imagine the same for microbio) good luck!

Hi, I've been searching through all the suggested micro online courses listed in this thread (and more searching on my own) but I can't seem to find any microbiology courses that don't require the lab component. I don't need the lab for a pre-req so I'm looking for just an online lecture course. Anyone know of any?

Thanks!

Guest painmd87

How many of these online A&P courses require on-site exams? For people who sign up for online courses across the country, how difficult/expensive is it to set up a proctor at a local university/college?

Has anyone here taken Microbiology online w/the Labpaq? I am taking it this semester at Community College of Colorado and was wondering how well it is taught? Thanks

I took it last year and I thought it was good but not great. My cheif complaints were: 1. Growing bacteria cultures when you don't have a proper set up isn't very easy. And 2. The group paper was totally unnecessary and a royal pain in the rear. I would much rather have had a shorter individual paper to do so we didn't have to try to coordinate everything with other people.

The teacher was very good and the lecture part of the class went well.

How many of these online A&P courses require on-site exams? For people who sign up for online courses across the country, how difficult/expensive is it to set up a proctor at a local university/college?

The Colorado Community Colleges Online classes have the exams on-line, there is nothing you need to be onsite for.

thanks John..no turning back now. I just opened my labpaq, so I will be completing this class...hopefully with an "a"

Make sure you start the labs early because a lot of them require 2 or 3 day incubation periods.

Guest painmd87
The Colorado Community Colleges Online classes have the exams on-line, there is nothing you need to be onsite for.

The CCCO A+P I class for the fall is filled.

Any other schools have slots for the fall?

Good option for the spring, though. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Florida State College at Jacksonville also has the following online classes (http://www.fccj.edu/):

Anatomy and Physiology I and II

Biology I and II

Medical Terminology

Most of the other science classes are not online or they are hybrids (where labs are done in class and lectures online).

They also offer statistics online as well.

Edited by PA student TN
adding class and school website