Assistant Physician law passed.

Guest Paula

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Paula

PAs call themselves doctor in many states.  (Tried to find a list of the states, but I cannot remember where it is)

Yeah, I know.  I'm just saying; stop calling them failures.  They are not failures.

I never called them failures.  

Plus, PAs can only use the title Doctor if they have a doctorate degree, and should only use it in the correct setting...such as academia.  In my opinion should not be used in patient care.  But then what about the DNPs who insist on being called doctor and use doctor in the clinical setting with patients.  Not cool in my opinion.  It also begs the question of the word Doctor.  Why are ODs, DPMs, DCs, AuD allowed to call themselves doctor in front of patients?  Should they? Should MD/DO doctors transition to the word physician and leave Doctor behind?  

On the other hand, I cannot get my patients to stop calling me Dr. Paula or doc Paula.  I correct and say I am a PA.  Call me Paula, or PA Paula or Miss Paula (like a parent will call me in front of their kids...I don't mind even tho I'm a Mrs.).  I always say to new patients....I'm Paula and I'm a PA I will be taking care of you today.

Patients just don't get it nor do they seem to care. 

PAs call themselves doctor in many states.  (Tried to find a list of the states, but I cannot remember where it is)

Yeah, I know.  I'm just saying; stop calling them failures.  They are not failures.

why change the subject? we may have to call you distracting voice rather than dissenting voice. It is clear that this law is for graduates whom FAILED to place for residency. key word FAILURE.

^^^^^^^

as stated above, change of subject, distraction from thread title. Providers of medical care need to be capable of comprehension.

Guest Paula

The biggest miss in this whole law is that PAs were overlooked.  In primary care a PA who has had a supervised (collaborative) practice for 3 years ...i.e. residency...could certainly be an AP and that is where MO should have started the conversation.  Reduce the barriers to practice for PAs and allow those with PC experience to  fill the need.

Some of us have been doing it for years in the states that have great practice laws and are practicing autonomously will little on-site involvement from a physician. 

Why not graduate the experienced PA to the AP after a course of time?  Passing a CAQ could be the residency exam that allows us an independent  license to practice.  

The PA profession has matured and changed a lot since its inception 50 years ago.   Think about it.  CT PAs perform surgery...harvesting veins for bypasses.  Some PAs perform colonoscopies and liver biopsies in the GI field.  PAs work in HIV medicine and keep up with the latest research and start and monitor HIV therapy.  PAs work in all specialties and primary care.  PAs have CAQs in EM, psychiatry, pediatrics, surgery.  PAs have been expanding their education by applying for and matching for a residency in specialty fields.  PAs are required to obtain 100 CMEs every two years and re-certify every 10 similar to our physician collaborators.  We are doing things that only physicians were allowed to do years ago.  

What I find so interesting is that when I refer a patient to a specialty such as cardiology or endocrinology.....guess who they see?  Yup, a PA or NP.  This is more common than you might think.  I refer, the patient gets the appointment and the notes comes back signed by the PA or NP.  Why is that?  The answer:  Physicians cannot do it all, they are not the be all and the end all.  We all need to realize medicine has changed over the last 50 years and quite drastically in the last 10.

There is no good reason PAs (and NPs) are to be held back by medicine boards.  It is time for a huge nationwide discussion to solve these issues but it seems the American medical system does not have the mechanism or desire to work together to enhance all of our professions. 

"In primary care a PA who has had a supervised (collaborative) practice for 3 years ...i.e. residency...could certainly be an AP and that is where MO should have started the conversation.  Reduce the barriers to practice for PAs and allow those with PC experience to  fill the need.

Why not graduate the experienced PA to the AP after a course of time?  Passing a CAQ could be the residency exam that allows us an independent  license to practice."

Maybe this would be the perfect time for us to propose this, since MO seems open to trying new things? How about a PA that has been in full-time primary care for 3+ years, or has completed a residency, or has a CAQ be allowed to challenge the USMLE steps and apply for licensure as an AP, and eligibility to apply to residencies?

You guys are blowing this out of proportion....

I predict within 5 years there will be less than 10 "APs" actually doing this.  Maybe a few desperate foreign medical grads and thats about it.

Remember when New Mexico gave NPs 100% independence over 10 years ago?  Everybody thought the whole state would be taken over. 

Well it turns out that job listings for family practice physicians still greatly outnumber NPs.  Hell the state governor of New Mexico had to go to Oklahoma (which doesnt have independent practice) to try and steal NPs for New Mexico!

Just like the New Mexico experiment failed, so will this.  NOBODY wants to work in rural Missouri, for the same reasons that NOBODY wants to work in rural New Mexico.  They will be just as underserved 50 years from now, if not worse, and it doenst matter if they let high school dropouts practice medicine that is still going to be the case.

Guest Paula

Doesn't it still beg the question of why PAs were overlooked as an answer to PCP shortage?  There may be MO PAs who want to stay in MO and serve in their own communities.  Or is that concept a dying thought?  

I have a few of those colleagues. Sticks and stones may break my bones, I hate their winters because it snows....

Snowball fights?  Skiing?  Building a snowman?  What's not to love?

I'll take the snow over earthquakes/droughts/wildfires any day :)

Doesn't it still beg the question of why PAs were overlooked as an answer to PCP shortage? There may be MO PAs who want to stay in MO and serve in their own communities. Or is that concept a dying thought?

Excellent question Paula!

How I wish the governor & MO medical board were reading this or at least provide an answer to your question.

You guys are blowing this out of proportion....

I predict within 5 years there will be less than 10 "APs" actually doing this. Maybe a few desperate foreign medical grads and thats about it.

Remember when New Mexico gave NPs 100% independence over 10 years ago? Everybody thought the whole state would be taken over.

Well it turns out that job listings for family practice physicians still greatly outnumber NPs. Hell the state governor of New Mexico had to go to Oklahoma (which doesnt have independent practice) to try and steal NPs for New Mexico!

Just like the New Mexico experiment failed, so will this. NOBODY wants to work in rural Missouri, for the same reasons that NOBODY wants to work in rural New Mexico. They will be just as underserved 50 years from now, if not worse, and it doenst matter if they let high school dropouts practice medicine that is still going to be the case.

I agreed. The law is a failure IMHO. Particularly, given that not everyone are on board. The AMA strongly opposed it. Among MO board of med, I learnt not everyone supported it. Passing a legislation and implementation are two aspect of this law.

Thats bad reasoning. If in such dire need, than they should attract providers. Increase MD reimbursement, expand independence for PAs whom have significant experience. Why allow untrained, failed to place MDs to practice? Why not allow experienced primary care PAs to become independent and provide funding so they can open their own practice? That would certainely attract multitudes. I do like the pic.

This sounds like a physician argument against PAs.

why change the subject? we may have to call you distracting voice rather than dissenting voice. It is clear that this law is for graduates whom FAILED to place for residency. key word FAILURE.

He is arguing that some of these folks never tried to match. In that case all PAs are med school failures because we never applied.

Far too much assumption going on here.

We will need data on WHY these APs did not match before firing shots.

Wait a minute. 

How many graduate med students will want to do this?  I mean, really?  They went this far, and most will go on to residency.

What concerns me is the Foriegn Medical Graduates?

I have see some that are SCARY, and speak poor English with accents so muddled you can barely understand them.  How do you know they are competent?

Do they have to pass the TOEFL in order to be a AP?

Its a stupid idea IMO, just get a PA or NP, Duh....  You know they are highly trained and have passed a National certification exam and most have their Masters Degrees......

I mean what is the Requirment for Foriegn Medical School Graduates to become an AP?

How do you even know they are here legally (sorry, but very relevant with what is going on with the, in my opinion, illegal surge of undocumented immigrants by this Administration), do they have criminal records in their home countries?

How will the Missouri Medical Board know?  I would hope that there is a very stringent background check for Foriegn Medical Graduates that want to become APs.

Can you say, SCARY?

Wait a minute. 

How many graduate med students will want to do this?  I mean, really?  They went this far, and most will go on to residency.

What concerns me is the Foriegn Medical Graduates?

I have see some that are SCARY, and speak poor English with accents so muddled you can barely understand them.  How do you know they are competent?

Do they have to pass the TOEFL in order to be a AP?

Its a stupid idea IMO, just get a PA or NP, Duh....  You know they are highly trained and have passed a National certification exam and most have their Masters Degrees......

Not all of us are Masters.  Could you please pass the Geritol now?

Archived