#21 Dichotomy

Dichotomy

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

Hello colleagues, 

Thanks everyone for their inputs. If I recently finished an MPH degree while in PA school, will this scholarship cover the loan from that degree as well? (In other words, should I also submit tuition info aka Academic Verification -  VA Form10-0491 for the MPH degree) in addition to that of PA school?

Thanks in advance !

#22 JC40

JC40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:52 AM

Hello colleagues, 

Thanks everyone for their inputs. If I recently finished an MPH degree while in PA school, will this scholarship cover the loan from that degree as well? (In other words, should I also submit tuition info aka Academic Verification -  VA Form10-0491 for the MPH degree) in addition to that of PA school?

Thanks in advance !

The scholarship only covers from Fall 2017 on during PA school. Nothing retroactive.

#23 Dichotomy

Dichotomy

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

Thank you JC40.

For those of you familiar with how this scholarship works, once the app is closed and approval notices sent out, can a recipient decline or negotiate their offer?  (Maybe because of dislike with part of the offer package) - Or once you are selected, are you obligated to accept the contract?

• jsylte likes this

#24 Believe

Believe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

How would this work if you are almost finished with your first year? Would you get the monthly stipend for the previous months and cost of tuition you already paid?

#25 jsylte

jsylte

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

It is take it or leave it. There is no negotiating with the government scholarships.

#26 JC40

JC40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Thank you JC40.

For those of you familiar with how this scholarship works, once the app is closed and approval notices sent out, can a recipient decline or negotiate their offer?  (Maybe because of dislike with part of the offer package) - Or once you are selected, are you obligated to accept the contract?

I'm under the impression that once accepted for the scholarship you sign a "mobility agreement" stating you are willing to go where they need you to go. They will request your top 5 choices 6 months before graduating and try and put you in a good fit, but nothing is guaranteed with location and/or specialty. I'm guessing that if you are accepted to the scholarship but decide it isn't for you, that you can reject the offer because you hadn't signed the "mobility agreement" or contract as one would call it. Once you sign that, you are locked in for 2 years. 

#27 JC40

JC40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

How would this work if you are almost finished with your first year? Would you get the monthly stipend for the previous months and cost of tuition you already paid?

No. It is not retroactive. They will only pay for Fall 2017 tuition on plus the monthly stipend until you graduate. On the Academic Verification form you only put classes and tuition/projected cost for Fall 2017 on. Nothing that you have already completed.

• Believe likes this

#28 JC40

JC40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

I'm under the impression that once accepted for the scholarship you sign a "mobility agreement" stating you are willing to go where they need you to go. They will request your top 5 choices 6 months before graduating and try and put you in a good fit, but nothing is guaranteed with location and/or specialty. I'm guessing that if you are accepted to the scholarship but decide it isn't for you, that you can reject the offer because you hadn't signed the "mobility agreement" or contract as one would call it. Once you sign that, you are locked in for 2 years. 

But maybe you have to sign the mobility agreement before you push the "apply" button. I haven't emailed the person in charge of the scholarship about that yet.

#29 ventana

ventana

Moderator, Past Practice Owner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hello everyone..

New to the forum, but saw this post and thought I would give you a few ideas about this program. As I used to work in the VA and know a few things, if you permit, I will enlighten you.
At this time, the VA is very understaffed with PA's which is why I'm changing my career path. The VA pays on average around 80K if you meed the minimum standards listed in job postings. There are also, living allowances that bring you up to certain standards of living in certain states/cities. The benefits that also come with these positions are incredible as federal retirement is exceptional and if you want to look further into it, it's called the TSP or Thrift Savings Plan.

This scholarship mirrors the Department of Defense USPHS scholarship where for your tuition, you are locked into a contract upon graduation with the Department of Veterans Affairs. They will pay your tuition and more than likely some of your medical books/instruments, and fees, however I would get the extras down to make sure. Being that it's a part of the federal government, they will itemize everything in your contract, trust me on that.

I would highly encourage anyone looking for such a scholarship to work within the VA as it won't be hard to make it to the top. Pay for PA's and Psychiatric MD's/DO's is becoming closer to the private market as they (VA) realize that they are losing out on excellent providers. As you will have federal status once you graduate from this program, to see what the VA is paying, utilize USAJOBs.gov and use the search feature along with your dream city/state to see what PA's salaries are going for. Not too long ago I saw Cardio-Thoracic PA positions in Houston,Texas was paying 140k plus benefits.. Not bad at all.

If you are a veteran, let me know and I will walk you through your paperwork process in order to get your points for competitive purposes. Also, if anyone has any questions about what the VA world is like, I will be happy to talk to anyone offline, just send me an email or a number.

I hope this scholarship will become written in stone as I've about a year of pre-reqs to get done before I can apply.
For clarification, I am a Marine Vet, who just left the mental health service line at the VA and now work for the Dept.of the Navy in Mental Health.

Good Luck,
Gavmalav

I have had a very different experience with the VA

I am prior service with a disability rating and have wanted to work for the VA for 15 years
After they finally got back to calling me back, they made an offer that was laughable - was WELL under what RN's get paid, was >$40,000 LESS then the local hospital system. They readily admitt that they want to hire NP(as that is what is always posted)

I have a desire to work for the VA - but the BS is a joke, the salary is easily 30-40 THOUSAND less then the going rate, and the politics of fighting for a job to be posted PA and NP is stupid.... sorry I am out of wanting to work at the VA....
  • Boatswain2PA and overthehorizen like this

The Fine Print - you didn't pay for my advice so please consider this when reading it. I don't care about typos so don't tell me I can't type.:eek:

I vote for a  Full Practice Authority and staged independent practice.

MBA, MS, PA

https://gifs.com/gif/wpZWlm 

#30 btvample

btvample

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

When you sign the mobility agreement, you give them a top 5 placement list 6 months before you graduate?  Is the mobility agreement within the united states? Could you go to another country for your service obligation? thanks

#31 pabound2016

pabound2016

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

Does anyone know how many awards they plan on granting for this application cycle?

Duke University

PA-S, Class of 2019

#32 jsylte

jsylte

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

I think they are awarding 25. Should hear in mid June.

#33 LPZ

LPZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

When you sign the mobility agreement, you give them a top 5 placement list 6 months before you graduate?  Is the mobility agreement within the united states? Could you go to another country for your service obligation? thanks

I asked the contact for the scholarship this question. Placements are within the US.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HPSP, Scholarship, VA, Veterans Affairs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users