Hi all! Starting a new thread to connect with fellow recipients of the NHSC. I am part of the scholarship class of 2022, and I am having issues with the tuition payments. I attend MCPHS in Boston, and the scholarship program did not pay my Fall 2022 tuition until January, and I have still yet to receive tuition payment for the Spring 2023 semester, though we finished on 5/1. My school will therefore not release my federal loans to me ($13k!!!) until tuition is paid. Anyone else seriously struggling with this! Looking forward to hearing your experience. My monthly stipend comes reliably every month, but I believe a different dept handles these payments. TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pre-PA starting at St. Catherine University in Minnesota this fall, and I just applied to this scholarship this cycle. I spoke to someone in my program in the cohort above me with this scholarship to get more info about it, and it sounds like he was having the same issues getting his tuition paid, so you aren't alone! He said he called and called and was finally able to speak to someone and get the bill paid after being transferred around and sitting on hold for a while. 

I was having the same problem! I had to submit a request on the portal, and then when no one responded to it in the 5 business days that they are supposed to, I called and had them escalate the issue! I got a response last week saying the payment is finally processing and I should get it in 10-15 business days (still no payment though lol) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: I was able to get it sorted out in June. They were telling me for a month that the payment should go through in 5-7 business days. What I would recommend is getting in touch with your school's financial aid office via phone and tell them to send a request to the scholarship program saying that you cannot pay your bills without the scholarship. Then, I would submit a new ticket and say the same thing (be as dramatic as possible) and THEN call NHSC to tell them the situation and ask them to push your ticket forward. They paid my tuition in 1 day doing that.

Ridiculous..

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, ECS867 said:

I'm pre-PA starting at St. Catherine University in Minnesota this fall, and I just applied to this scholarship this cycle. I spoke to someone in my program in the cohort above me with this scholarship to get more info about it, and it sounds like he was having the same issues getting his tuition paid, so you aren't alone! He said he called and called and was finally able to speak to someone and get the bill paid after being transferred around and sitting on hold for a while. 

Thank you so much for this insight! It's good that you know now that they are delayed at getting the payments through. I was recommended by my financial aid advisor to submit a ticket as soon as your EVF is confirmed (usually 2-4 weeks after school starts). Then I would reach out to financial aid and verify that they have invoiced the scholarship. Then submit a ticket to NHSC and state that the invoice has been sent by the school on [insert date] and that you need your tuition paid (stipend comes regularly from a diff dept). Then I would call continuously 3-5 business days after sending the ticket, and hopefully they pay the tuition 1/2way through your semester. Best of luck with the scholarship!!! It's changed my life and also added stress. I hear it is always worth it though

On 7/2/2023 at 12:34 PM, cvarnedoe said:

Thank you so much for this insight! It's good that you know now that they are delayed at getting the payments through. I was recommended by my financial aid advisor to submit a ticket as soon as your EVF is confirmed (usually 2-4 weeks after school starts). Then I would reach out to financial aid and verify that they have invoiced the scholarship. Then submit a ticket to NHSC and state that the invoice has been sent by the school on [insert date] and that you need your tuition paid (stipend comes regularly from a diff dept). Then I would call continuously 3-5 business days after sending the ticket, and hopefully they pay the tuition 1/2way through your semester. Best of luck with the scholarship!!! It's changed my life and also added stress. I hear it is always worth it though

I'm so sorry this process takes so much effort on your end. This is crazy because it's a scholarship you've earned, so tuition payments shouldn't be this delayed 😞

Do you mind if I PM you some logistical questions? My PA program has had 2 other students receive the scholarship but they've graduated so I'm on my own as far as guidance. 

3 hours ago, chiprepa said:

I'm so sorry this process takes so much effort on your end. This is crazy because it's a scholarship you've earned, so tuition payments shouldn't be this delayed 😞

Do you mind if I PM you some logistical questions? My PA program has had 2 other students receive the scholarship but they've graduated so I'm on my own as far as guidance. 

Absolutely! I can PM you and drop my contact info, because I also am solo in my program with the scholarship…

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the exact same issue, should have had payments in May, my financial aid office got an email when they reached out and they said that since I had applied for an extra year of funding instead of doing it from the beginning, the funds had to be applied for and it would go thru by June 30th. I reach out after and ask about if it's been processed yet, and they said it has and that now its pending approval and should post to the school within 10 business days. That was 9 business days ago, so if I don't see anything tomorrow I guess I'll have to spend my day calling and waiting until they tell me what is going on. 

Hopefully after I tell them that I will end up being homeless if I don't get this refund check they'll speed it up. Not even an exaggeration, it is impossible for the stipend to cover rent and other expenses.

Edited by HamzaPA

On 7/20/2023 at 7:24 PM, HamzaPA said:

I've had the exact same issue, should have had payments in May, my financial aid office got an email when they reached out and they said that since I had applied for an extra year of funding instead of doing it from the beginning, the funds had to be applied for and it would go thru by June 30th. I reach out after and ask about if it's been processed yet, and they said it has and that now its pending approval and should post to the school within 10 business days. That was 9 business days ago, so if I don't see anything tomorrow I guess I'll have to spend my day calling and waiting until they tell me what is going on. 

Hopefully after I tell them that I will end up being homeless if I don't get this refund check they'll speed it up. Not even an exaggeration, it is impossible for the stipend to cover rent and other expenses.

That’s exactly what I would do! Put a new ticket in through your portal and then call them and tell them that you will not be able to afford all of your bills. It’s amazing how fast things moved for me when I did that. Be dramatic - this is your money contractually!

On 7/22/2023 at 8:44 AM, cvarnedoe said:

That’s exactly what I would do! Put a new ticket in through your portal and then call them and tell them that you will not be able to afford all of your bills. It’s amazing how fast things moved for me when I did that. Be dramatic - this is your money contractually!

Did exactly this today, tuition got processed 8 hours later. Thank the lord, it really was becoming dire, those refund checks from school are very much needed to survive. Thank you for your help as well!

17 hours ago, HamzaPA said:

Did exactly this today, tuition got processed 8 hours later. Thank the lord, it really was becoming dire, those refund checks from school are very much needed to survive. Thank you for your help as well!

I’m so glad things worked out! It’s insane how it doesn’t actually take that much time to process and they make such a big stress out of something unnecessarily. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...