I just received a notice in the mail that I have a certified letter at the post office. I have not picked it up, but looked at the name and googled it. It seems to be from a medical malpractice attorney. This was sent to my home address and not the company I work for (I work for a large multi specialty practice with a legal team) Should I be worried? I have no outstanding claims and have not heard anything from my legal Dept in my company that anyone is making a claim/suit against me. But you know my mind goes to the worst case possible.

has anyone ever felt with something like this?

should I pick up the letter or ignore it— I’m leaning towards ignoring it…

Ughhh… my head is spinning

Where did you work two years ago?

The statute of limitations for filing suit is two years. Most lawyers will file JUST as the time runs out.

Pick up the letter or someone WILL show up at your place of business AND serve you in front of everyone.

Do not read it in the car. Go home, sit down, read it.

Take a few deep breaths. Read it again.

If a suit, call your previous employer and ask who their legal counsel is and contact them.

Do not ignore it.

• Upvote 1

Statute of limitations may be only two years in a particular area, with ONE MAJOR caveate.  A pediatric case.  Ignoring the letter is like sticking your head in the sand.  It won’t make the problem go away, and they will find other ways to get your attention if necessary such as serving you at work, etc.  Welcome to the world of medicine and litigation (potentially).  I personally found the reality to be worse than the anticipation (there is NO incentive for the legal parties to speed things up since they get paid differently).

Might I add that it isn’t much fun when the letter addresses another situation in which you aren’t the party in question but you still have the pleasure of offering up your time in providing a deposition for someone else's headache.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

1 minute ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I personally found the reality to be worse than the anticipation

I can imagine things in my head that are way worse than anything that actually happens....and often do. The last time I got served it was regarding one of my most difficult non-compliant diabetics. I was assuming every kind of bad outcome and, when I got there, it was a phen-fen suit and all they wanted me to do was confirm my notes where I told him he was going to have all kinds of bad things happen if he didn't get himself under control.

I’m sitting here laughing, since I can relate, to your phrase “The last time…”.  Been there, done that.  Darnedest thing was that none of my trifecta appearances had to do with anything that I had done wrong, or missed.  The most harried had to do with a lawsuit made against a former employer, not myself, for an impairment rating examination performed by myself.  Thank goodness for digital inclinometers and their precise readings.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

I received a certified letter, served at my work, requesting a conversation from the defense attorneys regarding a previous patient of mine who had died and the family was suing the ED providers and hospital.  I thankfully had nothing to do with the malpractice being claimed.  I initially was torn as I didn't want to be involved, but at the same time would certainly want someone else to help me if I were ever in the situation.

Fortunately the lawyers were jerks and made my decision easy.  At the advice of others I requested access to the patient's chart and the lawyers made it more difficult than necessary.  After the third round of communications regarding access so I could review pertinent information and give meaningful input I gave up and told them I was no longer interested. 

Edit: I wanted to add in case it wasn't clear, I stated the above to show that it's not always that you are being served malpractice papers.  They may just want to consult with you, and then your mileage may vary on whether you decide to participate or not.

Edited by mgriffiths

The 3 cases I was involved in I was served papers.  No certified letter.  This could also be someone in your neighbor hood is putting an addition to their home and they are just letting you know.  

On 9/23/2022 at 7:26 PM, mgriffiths said:

They may just want to consult with you, and then your mileage may vary on whether you decide to participate or not.       I'm confused by this.  I have been a 3rd party witness in a few cases I was subpoenaed had no choice in the matter.