Getting your third covid vaccine.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cideous said:

I want to be so damn vaccinated with spike proteins so powerful that even people around me at the grocery store become immune to Covid just by standing near me!  Give me those shots!!!!

You know, if vaccine shedding worked like the Antivaxxers think it does, that might actually work...  Too bad they're wrong?

• Like 1

Is this technology going to be the wave of the future for new vaccines? I still remember the good old days where we just killed or attenuated the organism and made that into the vax. Now we are hijacking cellular machinery to produce an antigen. If someone would cook up a good "old fashioned" vaccine the antivax people would lose their grounds for concern.

Edited by CAAdmission

1 hour ago, CAAdmission said:

Is this technology going to be the wave of the future for new vaccines? I still remember the good old days where we just killed or attenuated the organism and made that into the vax. Now we are hijacking cellular machinery to produce an antigen. If someone would cook up a good "old fashioned" vaccine the antivax people would lose their grounds for concern.

Nothing is changing an anti-vaxxers mind at this point unless something bad directly affects them due to COVID. It has been warped into politics, and the "concern" goal post always seems to move. Before it had full FDA approval, that was the concern, and I doubt there was any significant uptake in vaccine after that happened.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, CAAdmission said:

Now we are hijacking cellular machinery to produce an antigen. If someone would cook up a good "old fashioned" vaccine the antivax people would lose their grounds for concern.

All viruses and bacteria use that same cellular machinery to reproduce themselves. mRNA vaccines do it without penetrating the nucleus. It's fascinatingly ingenious, really, and a sea change as important as changing from snail mail to email.  If there's a downside, so far it really seems to be the fact that later shots can be quite uncomfortable, as I note from personal experience.

When will the people with 3 and 4 shots start blaming the continuing COVID infections on the people with only 1 or 2 shots? 

I think it’s important to remember  that a vaccine that doesn’t prevent infection will never eradicate it. We will continue to live with COVID for the foreseeable future as an endemic virus. 

Edited by deltawave
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deltawave said:

When will the people with 3 and 4 shots start blaming the continuing COVID infections on the people with only 1 or 2 shots? 

I think it’s important to remember  that a vaccine that doesn’t prevent infection will never eradicate it. We will continue to live with COVID for the foreseeable future as an endemic virus. 

Why do you think that first event will come to pass?

I think it's important to realize that anything we can do to slow the mortality and hospitalization rates is a good thing. Who gives a flying %#@! if people still get COVID but they aren't hospitalized and don't die from it?

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
2 hours ago, deltawave said:

Vaccines, nothing. With an R0 of UP TO NINE and confirmed nonhuman reservoirs, it's never going away no matter how well anyone--or even everyone--is vaccinated.  So yes, you're right about future endemicity, but how we get there is even bleaker than your scenario.

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:46 PM, CAAdmission said:

J&J

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest disappointment in this pandemic has been human nature.

No sense of self responsibility or responsibility to others.

No concern for the price of citizenship.

Little respect for science and real medicine.

Fine, we cannot eradicate a deadly virus - could we at least act responsibly and try to prevent more people from dying?

The free for all attitude and "my rights, my rights" BS is stale and over.

We DO have responsibilities and public health is a real thing.

Sadly, more people will die, including children and more elderly with more life to live.

CAAdmission - don't - just don't. We know your opinion.

• Thanks 3

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Sadly, more people will die, including children and more elderly with more life to live.

Did you read the NYMag article I linked above?  Kids' deaths, while tragic, are still a drop in the bucket compared to the ongoing risk of breakthrough illness and death in the elderly.  The vaccine works very well, but even "very well" isn't going to be good enough to avoid ongoing serious morbidity and mortality in the elderly.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, sas5814 said:

you could just run around town hugging people and giving them immunity. Like a Marvel character.

I have been watching all the Marvel movies recently while riding my trainer in the fake world of Zwift.

Pretty decent movies I must day, pure brain rot and entertainment but makes time pass.....

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

So, while we're talking third shot...

Just got a call from one of the vendors who will be servicing my clinic.  I won't name the company or even the line of business, but it's medical.  He's cancelling a Friday meeting and trying to get another rep to cover, because he tested positive for Covid-19.  So, my first questions... Are you doing OK? Is this a breakthrough case?

No. It's not a breakthrough case.  It's OC-f'ing-TOBER and a medical service provider business line rep hadn't gotten a single shot of anything yet.

So yes, defer my booster and give it to either someone who wants it, or someone who needs it but won't take it, please.

• Administrator
On 9/22/2021 at 8:13 AM, rev ronin said:

Honestly, at this point, I question the justice of continuing to have and waste vaccine doses in the U.S. when the rest of the world needs them.  I'd rather my third dose go to Africa or South America.

Yeah, it's not just me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/09/business/moderna-covid-vaccine.html

• 7 months later...

In science, testimonials have very little merit, except to raise some eyebrows toward more meaningful research. Everyone hears those stories, "Grandma had breast cancer but licked a Tasmanian tree toad, and she was cured." But I will share a testimony in support of Moderna boosters, but only because it is living proof of what double blinded and retrospective studies are showing.

We had 10 guest in our house for the Mother day's week-end. I am on the extremely vulnerable risk list for COVID, serious outcome and death. For that reason, we have our guests test when they arrive and they must be vaccinated. However, my daughter and her husband attended a 50K live fans soccer match in Seattle two nights previous to their arrival at our house on Thursday. On Saturday the other 8 guests arrived. Also that morning my daughter (who was starting to experience cold-like symptoms). That evening my daughter got a public health alert text that she had been exposed to COVID at the match. She retested and was positive (antigen) as was her husband. They quickly masked up and packed up to go home early.

To make a long story short, Mother's Day became a super-spreader event at our house. Nine of the ten guests came down with COVID (positive antigen test followed by positive PCR), and it was at least moderate in severity. They all missed work for a week. Two missed out of town trips, one to a wedding and the other a business trip. They described it as the worst cold of their lives.

Meanwhile, three of us, my wife, one son, and myself had not symptoms and tested negative through the whole experience. My wife and I were exposed to my daughter and her husband the longest. While all the guest had been vaccinated and several with one booster, the three of us who did not have symptoms were all Moderna double-boosted. Yes, it is possible that could a coincidence but the probably is more likely it was a benefit of the vaccine and being up-to-date on boosting.

• Like 3