Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

4 hours ago, LaurenR19 said:

Hi there. 

EVMS does not utilize a sGPA. 
For cGPA, they use the highest of 3: 1) undergrad; 2) grad; 3) replacement. They also calculate their own prerequisite GPA. 

For the 2019-2020 cycle (I was accepted and started; however, I am on medical leave and will restart in January), our qualifying GPA average was a 3.84. Our prerequisite was a 3.85. 

EVMS is huge on community involvement/volunteer hours. 

If you didn’t receive an interview this cycle, I’d suggest reaching out to EVMS around September/October to receive feedback on your application. They will tell you exactly why you didn’t receive an interview and what you can do to improve. 

I hope this helps. 

Xx, Lauren. 

Lauren

Thanks so much for taking the time respond. 

I remember from my first time around applying they don’t use sGPA, just your qualifying (highest of the three) and your prerequisite GPA. Back then my qualifying was much lower than average and my HCE didn’t compensate. Such is life. However, now my prerequisite GPA is near or above a 3.9 and my qualifying GPA will be a 3.73 (last 40). Additionally, I’ve accrued another 5k hours of HCE and some more volunteer work. Strong LOR from two PAs and a RN manager. 

I sincerely hope this go around my efforts, including completing a SMP, will be enough to get at least an interview. Mind you, I’ll be applying for the class starting in 2023. 

Thanks again for replying. I’ve very much enjoyed reading your posts. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MSN214 said:

Just got a rejection letter today. For current students or people who have received acceptance letters this cycle, can you please help me with some advice on what to do differently next cycle? These were the stats that I applied with:

overall gpa: 3.6

science gpa: 3.4

pce: ~2000

certifications: 1 (CNA licenses)

I think my personal statement was weak last cycle so I completely revamped that this cycle and I feel like it's stronger but what else can I do? I'm currently working full time as a CNA so I'm gaining more patient care hours. I haven't thought about retaking any classes but should I?

Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thank you 🙂

Hi there! 

your GPAs aren’t competitive enough. I guarantee it’s what is holding you back. In addition, your PCE is low. 

For my application cycle, our average PCE was 6K. 

You can find all admission statistics here: https://www.evms.edu/education/masters_programs/physician_assistant_program/admissions_information/admission_statistics/

Those numbers are where you need to be at or above to be considered competitive. 

Reach out to EVMS and ask for a review. They’ll tell you exactly why. They’re very helpful!

Edited by LaurenR19

14 hours ago, medic1210 said:

Lauren

Thanks so much for taking the time respond. 

I remember from my first time around applying they don’t use sGPA, just your qualifying (highest of the three) and your prerequisite GPA. Back then my qualifying was much lower than average and my HCE didn’t compensate. Such is life. However, now my prerequisite GPA is near or above a 3.9 and my qualifying GPA will be a 3.73 (last 40). Additionally, I’ve accrued another 5k hours of HCE and some more volunteer work. Strong LOR from two PAs and a RN manager. 

I sincerely hope this go around my efforts, including completing a SMP, will be enough to get at least an interview. Mind you, I’ll be applying for the class starting in 2023. 

Thanks again for replying. I’ve very much enjoyed reading your posts. 

You are so very welcome!

16 hours ago, Ebony said:

@Reuvan I just received an email saying that the virtual meet and greets are July 9th and 10th. Have the dates changed? 

Thanks in advance,

Ebony

The q&a on July 8th is completely separate from the interview process. It's for any prepa, not just for those that applied to evms. I hope that clears it up.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 12:01 PM, Reuvan said:

The q&a on July 8th is completely separate from the interview process. It's for any prepa, not just for those that applied to evms. I hope that clears it up.

Hi! 

Can you provide more information about this pre-pa q&a session on July 8th please? How/where should we sign up to attend this event? Thanks in advance! 

On 7/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, ChameleonProtactinium said:

Hi! 

Can you provide more information about this pre-pa q&a session on July 8th please? How/where should we sign up to attend this event? Thanks in advance! 

No sign up required, just login to the zoom link at the start time tomorrow at 3pm EST. It's open for any PrePA. The link was posted some comments back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excited to meet a lot of you this weekend! Please make sure to take time to reflect on why you want to be a PA and truly allow your character and passion shine through in your interviews. It took a lot of hard work for ALL of you to get to this point so you each should be proud of yourselves for this accomplishment. We all are truly grateful to be apart the EVMS family and are excited to help you! Congrats 🥳🙏🧡

• Like 13

Hey all! It was awesome to see so many of your faces yesterday! It felt good to be around others who are going through the same process !!! Yesterday put my spirit at ease and I feel so much more confident going into interviews 💌 !!! We have all worked so hard! Best of luck to all of you on your interviews next week!!! We got this !!! 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

• Like 10

Just finished the interview and it really was as everyone had been eluding to...wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be and the members from the mentorship committees are very helpful from the current class that is in didactic. You should definitely take advantage of the time asking them questions as they bring your stress levels down considerably. I really enjoyed the virtual format and the ease of the blackboard collaborate. To everyone who has interviewed and to those that still have to interview tomorrow and Saturday congratulations on this accomplishment and best of luck. I hope that we all will receive admission offers and meet in January!!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

Just finished the interview and it really was as everyone had been eluding to...wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be and the members from the mentorship committees are very helpful from the current class that is in didactic. You should definitely take advantage of the time asking them questions as they bring your stress levels down considerably. I really enjoyed the virtual format and the ease of the blackboard collaborate. To everyone who has interviewed and to those that still have to interview tomorrow and Saturday congratulations on this accomplishment and best of luck. I hope that we all will receive admission offers and meet in January!!!

I agree !!! The mentor session really helped with my nerves !!! You can tell how much EVMS cares about their students both prospective and current ...it really shows ❤❤  Good luck guys ! I legit danced to Missy Elliott in the morning before my interview and that helped me to loosen up, too! Haha!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

It was super fun meeting a bunch of you all yesterday! Can’t wait to meet more of you tomorrow!! We as a mentorship committee are glad the Q&A was able to help de stress you guys that’s what we wanted ☺️ Enjoy your weekends and celebrate yourselves for this major accomplishment of landing an interview at one of the nations best PA programs hands down... and yes I’m bias LOL I love EVMS ❤️🩺🥼

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, medskoolmomOf4Cs said:

It was super fun meeting a bunch of you all yesterday! Can’t wait to meet more of you tomorrow!! We as a mentorship committee are glad the Q&A was able to help de stress you guys that’s what we wanted ☺️ Enjoy your weekends and celebrate yourselves for this major accomplishment of landing an interview at one of the nations best PA programs hands down... and yes I’m bias LOL I love EVMS ❤️🩺🥼

Thank you for your words of encouragement and confidence! Also if this is Katryce, thank you for being a great mentor from last Saturday’s group two, meet and greet ☺️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, medskoolmomOf4Cs said:

You’re welcome!!! Letssss GOOO group 2er’s LOL 😅 if any you guys are on social media put your @ in here and keep me posted!! My @ is the same on IG..... 🙌🏽🥳 see you guys soon! 

Yesterday was such a great day! It was also so amazing to meet everyone! Good luck to those who are interviewing tomorrow morning- You’ve got this!! My Instagram is khmedic08. 

• Like 4