Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

2 hours ago, LaurenR19 said:

Hi there! 

there’s only one wave of invites and then a waitlist. We had 10 days to respond and pay deposit and then they start inviting off the waitlist, which can happen up until the day before classes! 

Thank you so much for the clarification! 💛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, socalgirl91 said:

Thanks, Lauren for the clarification, makes a lot more sense now! Hoping to hear some good news this Friday. 
I left the interview feeling like I answered all the questions but since the interview was blind… I wonder if I should’ve talked about my experiences more 🤔

I felt the same way. Looking back it was like I wish I would've answered some of them by painting more of a picture of who I am and I feel like I lost sight of that sometimes. My second interview with faculty felt so normal and just like a conversation though so that made me feel better. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mderoosl said:

Please allow me to clarify,

Are there any current or past students  on the forum that has been admitted from the third wave of interviews? 

I was a third wave interview invite last year and received an acceptance offer the day they went out. Don't let the thoughts of the "waves" and points, cause you to underestimate your chances of being accepted!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mderoosl said:

Please allow me to clarify,

Are there any current or past students  on the forum that has been admitted from the third wave of interviews? 

I completely agree with @mxray! I was a third wave interview invite and I was waitlisted. While I know I didn't make it off the waitlist, I know that at least getting on the waitlist was an accomplishment. There will be first wave invites who get rejected this year, so do not let the "wave" discourage you or make you feel inferior to anyone. You have as much of a chance of getting a seat as everyone else applying girl! Stay confident and positive! We got this! 🤞

• Like 1

@mxrayThank you both for the insight. I appreciate the honest answers and support. I will remain positive and keep my head up. I’ll admit, I feared I had no chance, and it felt devastating. Especially after feeling like I did awesome in my interviews. @ChameleonProtactinium Im praying for you to be accepted this year😊

I struggle with the concept that they simply add 2 scores and rank everyone. What if theres a tie? What if someone was a an A student and did terrible in the the interview or vs. versa. Since it is a holistic approach, I imagine more goes into the decision making that as applicants and students we are not aware of. 🤞

Edited by mderoosl
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mderoosl said:

@mxrayThank you both for the insight. I appreciate the honest answers and support. I will remain positive and keep my head up. I’ll admit, I feared I had no chance, and it felt devastating. Especially after feeling like I did awesome in my interviews. @ChameleonProtactinium Im praying for you to be accepted this year😊

I struggle with the concept that they simply add 2 scores and rank everyone. What if theres a tie? What if someone was a an A student and did terrible in the the interview or vs. versa. Since it is a holistic approach, I imagine more goes into the decision making that as applicants and students we are not aware of. 🤞

I have to agree there has to be many considerations.

Hi everyone!

I applied to EVMS earlier in the year to test the waters. This 2021-2022 cycle is my first official cycle where I was ready from the beginning, so this current cycle is my real stab at getting into PA school. I was rejected immediately from EVMS, I was notified late May. 

I have a question for people who received interviews. What were your GPAs? And do you think I have a chance for this 2021-2022 cycle?

I have a low cGPA and sGPA (3.1 for both) as calculated by CASPA. However, I have a high prerequisite GPA (I calculated 3.82). I will have to calculate my last 60 or 45 credits, whatever the replacement GPA is... but I assume it will be higher than a 3.1. Will my cGPA and sGPA get me automatically rejected? I know my personal statement and GPAs were bad and what got me rejected. I've been retaking classes and getting As, working full-time PCE (as of today I have 4200, and growing), and volunteering more (I know EVMS's goal is to become the most community-oriented program). I'm from the Hampton Roads area, lots of friends and family are here in VA, and know I will get an excellent PA education here (I especially love that it is associated with a medical school). EVMS is my dream PA school, so I'd appreciate any insight into this! Thanks!

46 minutes ago, ponds said:

Hi everyone!

I applied to EVMS earlier in the year to test the waters. This 2021-2022 cycle is my first official cycle where I was ready from the beginning, so this current cycle is my real stab at getting into PA school. I was rejected immediately from EVMS, I was notified late May. 

I have a question for people who received interviews. What were your GPAs? And do you think I have a chance for this 2021-2022 cycle?

I have a low cGPA and sGPA (3.1 for both) as calculated by CASPA. However, I have a high prerequisite GPA (I calculated 3.82). I will have to calculate my last 60 or 45 credits, whatever the replacement GPA is... but I assume it will be higher than a 3.1. Will my cGPA and sGPA get me automatically rejected? I know my personal statement and GPAs were bad and what got me rejected. I've been retaking classes and getting As, working full-time PCE (as of today I have 4200, and growing), and volunteering more (I know EVMS's goal is to become the most community-oriented program). I'm from the Hampton Roads area, lots of friends and family are here in VA, and know I will get an excellent PA education here (I especially love that it is associated with a medical school). EVMS is my dream PA school, so I'd appreciate any insight into this! Thanks!

Hey Ponds. Sounds like you are trending in the right direction. EVMS really likes re-applicants as they view them as determined and that becoming a PA is something they really want to do. EVMS really focuses on your qualifying GPA which is one of the following three...1.) Undergrad GPA only, 2.) Last 40 hr GPA of courses taken (can be from undergrad, post bacc courses, or grad school, 3.) Graduate GPA only. Whichever is the highest of the three they will take. Next thing they focus on is pre req GPA and retakes are accepted if that grade is higher. Last things they look at are your volunteer and Healthcare experience. People who are getting interviews have GPA's in the 3.8 range and higher for both qualifying and pre req. Also volunteer and Healthcare hours have to be relatively big numbers as the program is very committed to volunteerism and giving back to the community. You can refer to their web page for the exact admission stats as they have a section dedicated for it. I'm was a reapplicant this past cycle and I recently interviewed there. I had stats not to far from yours and I was told that's why I didn't receive an interview invitation 2019-20 cycle. EVMS also offers application feedback/guidance around mid September following the start of classes which is refreshing as many programs just say reapply you will get in or nothing at all. My GPA's for both my qualifying and pre req both exceeded 3.8 which helped me receive an interview I ultimately believe, whereas I was in the 3.4ish range the cycle I didn't receive an interview. Your 3.82 seems competitive. As aforementioned though check the website to see the stats for admitted students as far as the volunteer and PCE hours are concerned. You will be on your way to being a PA before you know it. I'm rooting for you!!!

Edited by DOCRAH
  • Like 1

Hello,

I have applied three times to EVMS. First time was an immediate rejection, second time was and interview with a quick rejection, and this is the third. My second time I was a third way interview. This year I am a first wave interview. I am so nervous that all of the classes I've retaken and the 4+ years of various medical field experience won't be enough. This is the only school I am applying to because I have a family and a house in VB. Praying and sending such good vibes to everyone, especially the re-applicants. It is so hard to be told no multiple times. Fingers crossed it's finally my turn.

Love to everyone😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soontobepag said:

I have applied three times to EVMS. First time was an immediate rejection, second time was and interview with a quick rejection, and this is the third. My second time I was a third way interview. This year I am a first wave interview. I am so nervous that all of the classes I've retaken and the 4+ years of various medical field experience won't be enough. This is the only school I am applying to because I have a family and a house in VB. Praying and sending such good vibes to everyone, especially the re-applicants. It is so hard to be told no multiple times. Fingers crossed it's finally my turn.

Second time applicant here and I’m also in the VB area so I completely understand how you are feeling since this is the only school I applied to. We’re a military family with kids so I don’t really have the option to move wherever I want. Sending you good vibes! Hopefully it won’t be too long until we hear some food news. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfcfpa said:

Oh no 😔 I haven’t received anything. Guess it wasn’t my time 

Keep your head up, not everyone who will be students got their invitation today. Remember some people will turn it down for one reason or another! There’s always hope!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dmvcam said:

Keep your head up, not everyone who will be students got their invitation today. Remember some people will turn it down for one reason or another! There’s always hope!

I hope you’re right. I’m trying to! And everyone else who hasn’t received anything as well. I just thought it was said at some point that they all went out at the same time last year .