Eastern Virginia Medical School 2020-2021 Cycle

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

Does anyone know if it's "blind" interviews? Where the people interviewing you don't know your application? Or should we expect questions regarding our grades/classes? Also, any advice beating nerves? I just want to leave my interview knowing I gave it my best! 😀

Hi! 

Interviews are blind. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gemini said:

Does anyone know if it's "blind" interviews? Where the people interviewing you don't know your application? Or should we expect questions regarding our grades/classes? Also, any advice beating nerves? I just want to leave my interview knowing I gave it my best! 😀

My best advice for beating nerves is to do some mock interviews. It doesn't have to be through a service or anything. I had one of my really good friends (that I know would take it seriously) "interview" me twice leading up to the actual day. It really helped!

• Like 6

Just a side a note...I had a chance to speak with an 1st year PA student at EVMS his name is Frankie. His Instagram is frankieda.pa. He was very helpful with answering my questions about the program, the overall campus, & other questions I had. Reach out to him if you can. A very good resource.

• Haha 1

Hi - to anyone who could assist, 

As one who has not received an invitation for an interview or a rejection letter, I was curious if anyone personally had received or had heard of someone already receiving a rejection letter?  I am curious if the committee waits to send out all rejection letters or if some have already been sent. 

Any information you are willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, alexreb13 said:

As one who has not received an invitation for an interview or a rejection letter, I was curious if anyone personally had received or had heard of someone already receiving a rejection letter?  I am curious if the committee waits to send out all rejection letters or if some have already been sent. 

Thank you!

I am not entirely sure when declination letters go out. I do believe it is sometime at the end of July (after interviews) beginning of August. 

Third/last round of interview invites went out on June 18/21 (not sure whether it was that Friday or Monday). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LaurenR19 said:

I am not entirely sure when declination letters go out. I do believe it is sometime at the end of July (after interviews) beginning of August. 

Third/last round of interview invites went out on June 18/21 (not sure whether it was that Friday or Monday). 

Okay, thank you.  I had just remembered there were multiple posts stating to "not give up" until receiving a rejection letter, so I figured they would be sent out before interviews.  

4 hours ago, alexreb13 said:

Thank you!

Hi! This is my 4th time going through the application cycle and this year I finally was offered an interview. In years past rejection letters have always gone out in June. Last year I applied and was rejected but I didn't recieve a letter until the very last day of June. I hate to be that person but based on history if you haven't heard anything by now it's probably not because you're waiting on an interview 🙃 I know that's not what most people want to hear but it's more realistic. Technically,  yes there is still hope but unfortunately chances of having to try again next year are extremely high. Hope that helps. 

I'm not trying to bring anyone down, just trying  not sugarcoat anything. 

Edited by mfinley
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, alexreb13 said:

Thank you!

15 hours ago, alexreb13 said:

I am a huge fan of direct responses, so thank you for not sugarcoating it.  Your response was very helpful and much appreciated.  Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. 

Wishing you the best of luck in your interview!

You are welcome! Glad I could help a little. I wish you the best of luck as well.

Hello everyone,

I hope those of you that received interview invites are excited, and I offer my sentiments to those that did not.

A few current students are going to be offering a virtual Q&A session on July 8th, 2021 at 3:00 PM EST. This session is SEPERATE from interveiws and will have nothing to do with the selection process. 

We will introduce ourselves, talk about why PA school, our acceptance journey, and how we're doing now. This won't be a good resource for what questions to expect in the interview, but it will give a better insight into some of the students that were once in your shoes. Link is below, happy July to everyone!

https://evms-edu.zoom.us/j/94237011685

• Like 6

Congrats to those that received interviews! For those of us that didn’t, has anyone received anything from EVMS stating that they weren’t selected for an interview this year? On their site it says we would know of a decision by June. Trying to make plans for the upcoming year. Thanks for your help! 

On 6/28/2021 at 7:05 PM, mfinley said:

Hi! This is my 4th time going through the application cycle and this year I finally was offered an interview. In years past rejection letters have always gone out in June. Last year I applied and was rejected but I didn't recieve a letter until the very last day of June. I hate to be that person but based on history if you haven't heard anything by now it's probably not because you're waiting on an interview 🙃 I know that's not what most people want to hear but it's more realistic. Technically,  yes there is still hope but unfortunately chances of having to try again next year are extremely high. Hope that helps. 

I'm not trying to bring anyone down, just trying  not sugarcoat anything. 

At the risk of being too forward, what changed this go around for you? What did you do differently?

57 minutes ago, medic1210 said:

At the risk of being too forward, what changed this go around for you? What did you do differently?

I'm pretty sure my academic record was holding me back. The first time I applied I think I had 3.02 gpa undergraduate. This is a qualifying GPA but definitely not competitive. The 2nd and 3rd times I applied, I had retaken a few classes because my last 40 credit hours were going to my most competitive qualifying GPA. By this time my replacement was 3.5. I was rejected both times without and interview. This 4th time I applied I took more classes to boost my replacement GPA. According to the EVMS website the average admitted student has a 3.8 qualifying GPA so I made sure my qualifying/replacement GPA was above that. During this whole time I was also working and volunteering and I got another certification. I don't really think my work history or certification made too difference because I had these things the first 3 times I applied. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mfinley said:

I'm pretty sure my academic record was holding me back. The first time I applied I think I had 3.02 gpa undergraduate. This is a qualifying GPA but definitely not competitive. The 2nd and 3rd times I applied, I had retaken a few classes because my last 40 credit hours were going to my most competitive qualifying GPA. By this time my replacement was 3.5. I was rejected both times without and interview. This 4th time I applied I took more classes to boost my replacement GPA. According to the EVMS website the average admitted student has a 3.8 qualifying GPA so I made sure my qualifying/replacement GPA was above that. During this whole time I was also working and volunteering and I got another certification. I don't really think my work history or certification made too difference because I had these things the first 3 times I applied. Hope this helps.

I appreciate it. I applied to EVMS a few years back. Sub 2.5 cGPA and sGPA but 3.59 for last 40. No interview. 

Fast forward to today and my last 40 are 3.72 and I completed a graduate degree in medical science with a 3.7 gpa. Plus 40k paramedic hours and some volunteer work. My cGPA and sGPA haven’t budged but qualifying GPA is rock solid. Will be reapplying for another shot. 

14 hours ago, Reuvan said:

Hello everyone,

I hope those of you that received interview invites are excited, and I offer my sentiments to those that did not.

A few current students are going to be offering a virtual Q&A session on July 8th, 2021 at 3:00 PM EST. This session is SEPERATE from interveiws and will have nothing to do with the selection process. 

We will introduce ourselves, talk about why PA school, our acceptance journey, and how we're doing now. This won't be a good resource for what questions to expect in the interview, but it will give a better insight into some of the students that were once in your shoes. Link is below, happy July to everyone!

This is such a wonderful idea! Thank you for offering your time to share your experiences! I look forward to meeting you all 🙂 

20 hours ago, Reuvan said:

Hello everyone,

Awesome ! Thank you for the info! 

13 hours ago, medic1210 said:

I appreciate it. I applied to EVMS a few years back. Sub 2.5 cGPA and sGPA but 3.59 for last 40. No interview. 

Fast forward to today and my last 40 are 3.72 and I completed a graduate degree in medical science with a 3.7 gpa. Plus 40k paramedic hours and some volunteer work. My cGPA and sGPA haven’t budged but qualifying GPA is rock solid. Will be reapplying for another shot. 

You're welcome! I definitely encourage reapplication. You'll get there, don't give up.

17 hours ago, medic1210 said:

Hi there. 

EVMS does not utilize a sGPA. 
For cGPA, they use the highest of 3: 1) undergrad; 2) grad; 3) replacement. They also calculate their own prerequisite GPA. 

For the 2019-2020 cycle (I was accepted and started; however, I am on medical leave and will restart in January), our qualifying GPA average was a 3.84. Our prerequisite was a 3.85. 

EVMS is huge on community involvement/volunteer hours. 

If you didn’t receive an interview this cycle, I’d suggest reaching out to EVMS around September/October to receive feedback on your application. They will tell you exactly why you didn’t receive an interview and what you can do to improve. 

I hope this helps. 

Xx, Lauren. 

• Like 2

Just got a rejection letter today. For current students or people who have received acceptance letters this cycle, can you please help me with some advice on what to do differently next cycle? These were the stats that I applied with:

overall gpa: 3.6

science gpa: 3.4

pce: ~2000

certifications: 1 (CNA licenses)

I think my personal statement was weak last cycle so I completely revamped that this cycle and I feel like it's stronger but what else can I do? I'm currently working full time as a CNA so I'm gaining more patient care hours. I haven't thought about retaking any classes but should I?

Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thank you 🙂

• Like 1