University of Utah 2020-21 Application cycle!

Hey guys, I submitted my CASPA on July 6th and got verified on the 13th. Received email from the school saying that my CASPER scores were received. There are no supplemental application or fees. right? I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything.The stress is real lol.

13 hours ago, EVarkey said:

Hey guys, I submitted my CASPA on July 6th and got verified on the 13th. Received email from the school saying that my CASPER scores were received. There are no supplemental application or fees. right? I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything.The stress is real lol.

There isn’t a supplemental! You should be all set. I’m just waiting on verification. I’m submitted and they have my CASPER

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HpJp227 said:

Hey folks!

My application is in line for verification, i'm crossing my fingers that the process will be quick. This waiting game sure is nerve racking!!

How are you all preparing for interviews?

Here's just a few friendly suggestions, but I'm not an expert by any means.

1. Watch a few good mock interviews online.  Watch a few bad mock interviews online.

2. Write out your answers to the big 5 (biggest strength, biggest weakness, best quality for a PA to have, Why PA, Why UPAP?)  Then format your answers into bullet points of your main ideas including a personal example to support your answer.  Then you will be ready to answer with some key points when you get asked the question in a format that you maybe didn't prep for exactly.

3. Know yourself and what motivates you.  Start now and think about all the experiences that have shaped your character up to this point and what you have learned from those experiences.  How can this carry over into qualities that will make a great PA, or a great PA student?

4.  Practice answering your questions out loud, either by yourself in front of a mirror or with a friend.  Recording yourself on your phone is also painful but helpful.

5.  The UPAP website lists a series of bullet points for specific background factors.  This school is highly mission-driven.  Know the mission, the bullet points and how you fit that mission.

Best of luck to everyone!!!  Sounds like interview invites will go out in October.  I wonder if they will be online interviews?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Talia12 said:

My app. was verified July 13th. Have not received any confirmation that they received it. How long did it take you guys for them to send an email about receiving it. Also, my CAsper exam is this Sunday. Any advice on how to prepare for it or what you thought about it?

I submitted and had my app verified around late June and it took about a week or so before the university said they had received it. That being said, they won't review your app until they receive both your verified CASPA application and your CASper score (which can take up to 2 weeks for it to be reviewed/graded). 

The CASper exam has practice tests on their website so I suggest you try those out to get a feel for the exam. Their practice exams are the same format as the actual exam so it shouldn't come as a shock when you take it. It's honestly similar to MMI interviews where you're given situational & ethical scenarios. Just answer them how you feel it should be answered. Don't try to answer it on based on how you think others would answer it. You only have 5 minutes to answer the 3 questions so read each question first before responding. They're not sticklers for grammatical mistakes so I suggest keeping your responses simple and easy to read. No need for elevated language or big words. Good luck! 

On 7/15/2020 at 6:53 PM, MGN19 said:

Hi! So, I cannot get ahold of the admissions office, but has anyone NOT listed every single chemistry course ever taken and just listed 2 courses, instead, on CASPA? I've seen comments that state people listing every single chem course, is this really what's being requested? Sorry, I'm just really confused as I have not seen this requirement with other schools lol Thank you!

*Also, would I be required to list a chem course that I withdrew from and later took for a letter grade? What about retaking a course at a different institution, do I include both courses? 

Hi there, I contacted the admissions office and they want you to list EVERY single course under the specified subject. You must include every course including the withdrawal and the same courses from different institutions. 

Has anyone received an email confirmation that their app is currently under review? My app and CASPer scores were received June 17th, and I have not heard from the program since. 

7 hours ago, oxyjen said:

Has anyone received an email confirmation that their app is currently under review? My app and CASPer scores were received June 17th, and I have not heard from the program since. 

I received an email on 6/30 that they received my CASPer scores (taken 6/16), then a separate email on 7/1 that my CASPA was verified, CASPer score received, and that my application was under review. This email included information about when interview invites would be emailed (mid-October) and the interview dates in November at each campus location.

15 hours ago, oxyjen said:

I submitted my application July 16th (Casper taken in June) and received an email earlier today that my application was under review. 

16 hours ago, oxyjen said:

Hi there, I contacted the admissions office and they want you to list EVERY single course under the specified subject. You must include every course including the withdrawal and the same courses from different institutions. 

Hi! Thank you SO much for clarifying, I really do appreciate it! Also, I am aware that prerequisites must be completed with a letter grade of C or above. Would you know if this applies to every single chemistry and biology course ever taken? For example, I received a C- in Principles of Chemistry I, would this C- prevent me from applying to this program? Thank you!

On 7/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, MGN19 said:

Hi! Thank you SO much for clarifying, I really do appreciate it! Also, I am aware that prerequisites must be completed with a letter grade of C or above. Would you know if this applies to every single chemistry and biology course ever taken? For example, I received a C- in Principles of Chemistry I, would this C- prevent me from applying to this program? Thank you!

If you have enough other chem credit at a "C" grade or higher you should still be fine.  Still put this one on your application, but it won't count toward preq requirements.  Good luck!

10 hours ago, pathgirl20 said:

If you have enough other chem credit at a "C" grade or higher you should still be fine.  Still put this one on your application, but it won't count toward preq requirements.  Good luck!

Thank you so much for letting me know! & good luck to you, as well! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:34 AM, xtcine said:

I received an email on 6/30 that they received my CASPer scores (taken 6/16), then a separate email on 7/1 that my CASPA was verified, CASPer score received, and that my application was under review. This email included information about when interview invites would be emailed (mid-October) and the interview dates in November at each campus location.

3 hours ago, MGN19 said:

Thank you so much for letting me know! & good luck to you, as well! 🙂 

Thank you! I did not realize that the under review confirmation was in the same email as the CASPer scores. Good luck every one! : )

Guest EDani
On 7/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, mandyq said:

I received an email that they got CASPER scores in June. My Caspa was verified about a week ago. Am i supposed to receive an email that they got it??

Once my CASPer and CASPA were both received I got an email saying my application was under review. It took about 4 days after the last one was submitted but that was back in June so maybe it'll take a few extra days now that they have more apps rolling in. 

On 7/21/2020 at 12:14 AM, oxyjen said:

I did not know this... I only listed the courses that fulfilled the requirements and were my highest grades. I received an email on June 9th stating "Your CASPA application has been verified and your CASPer test score has been received. There is no supplemental application required, and your application is now under review."

Will not listing every course somehow disqualify me? All courses are obviously in my transcripts...

52 minutes ago, arbr0972 said:

I did not know this... I only listed the courses that fulfilled the requirements and were my highest grades. I received an email on June 9th stating "Your CASPA application has been verified and your CASPer test score has been received. There is no supplemental application required, and your application is now under review."

Will not listing every course somehow disqualify me? All courses are obviously in my transcripts...

You should contact the admissions office and let them know since I am sure it is a common misunderstanding. I believe as long as you listed the minimum # of credits for each pre-req, your app will not be automatically filtered out and will be reviewed by the school (aka they will see other unlisted courses on your transcripts). 

22 hours ago, arbr0972 said:

You will be okay.  They go through every application with a fine-tooth comb to make sure nothing is missed.  I did this very thing last year, and was still okay too.  Don't sweat it, and good luck friend!

Hi All! I just received an email from CASPer that they are now offering a CASPer snapshot, which they advertise as a way to mimic an informal interview.  It's basically a videotaped response to 3 questions.  I'm curious if any of you have taken it yet? Haven't seen anything on UPAP's website stating they require or will consider it, and I also haven't seen anything to suggest that they are not planning to do in person interviews (though I wouldn't be surprised if they did).  I'm just curious to see what all of your thoughts are on it?

18 hours ago, thehopefulpa said:

Hi All! I just received an email from CASPer that they are now offering a CASPer snapshot, which they advertise as a way to mimic an informal interview.  It's basically a videotaped response to 3 questions.  I'm curious if any of you have taken it yet? Haven't seen anything on UPAP's website stating they require or will consider it, and I also haven't seen anything to suggest that they are not planning to do in person interviews (though I wouldn't be surprised if they did).  I'm just curious to see what all of your thoughts are on it?

I do not plan on doing the snapshot. The med school application process has a platform called VITA that CASPer is trying to compete with, as far as anyone knows they havent even sent info to the programs about this product.