VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

3 minutes ago, DarcyJ said:

Someone may have said this already, but, they will take the better of the two GPAs. It's not automatically the last 40 for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yup I got that squared away. It was best of cumulative undergrad, graduate gpa, or last 40. My highest was last 40 (43 in my case) for a 3.51

• Like 2

Hi all.  I will be applying next year but I have a question on this topic.  Does EVMS only use two GPAs in their applicant selection?  They use the best of the undergrad, grad, or last 40 as 1 and your prerequisite as the other.  Is this correct?  So if you have a bad undergrad it won’t count against you?  Thank you all.

This is a really good thing for those of us who may be older and went to school many years ago but lacked maturity at the time.  I have been researching PA schools for 3 years trying to find one that would suite me.  Most schools eliminate a person based solely on a bad GPA from years ago.  These schools never realize they could be denying the best future PA because of what used to be.  Thank you EVMS for at least giving me a chance.  

I will be applying to EVMS next year.  I want to wish all of you who are applying this cycle the best of luck.  Your passion for the PA profession is inspiring!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, shawn47 said:

This is a really good thing for those of us who may be older and went to school many years ago but lacked maturity at the time.  I have been researching PA schools for 3 years trying to find one that would suite me.  Most schools eliminate a person based solely on a bad GPA from years ago.  These schools never realize they could be denying the best future PA because of what used to be.  Thank you EVMS for at least giving me a chance.  

I will be applying to EVMS next year.  I want to wish all of you who are applying this cycle the best of luck.  Your passion for the PA profession is inspiring!

I think you’re getting to an unpopular opinion but one I hold. PA was never designed for five year HS-to-PA programs or students with minimal HCE. But today it is GPA > HCE for many places and they miss out on truly qualified professionals.

I’ve actually worked with PA students in my ED and worked with them on IVs, urinary catheter and NG/OG placement, and 12 lead interpretation. They’ve all been whip smart but didn’t have that particular background. So it was a steeper learning curve for them. Still, despite my personal opinions on the current admission process for most schools, I think if you get into a PA program, you’ll succeed because you are intelligent and hardworking, even if you lack significant HCE. 

EVMS really recognizes the balance between academics and HCE. It’s why I’m applying here. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ann178 said:

Hello, how do we know that the application has been completed? I applied Feb23rd, received an email that the application "received" 2 days later, and nothing after that. WIll we receive an email for a "complete" status? 

I applied around the same time as well and have not heard from them about the completion status. I am thinking it might have something to do with when they receive CASPER score and I think it takes 3 weeks for them to receive that. I did my CASPER on Feb 28th. How about you?

7 hours ago, GemPA said:

I applied around the same time as well and have not heard from them about the completion status. I am thinking it might have something to do with when they receive CASPER score and I think it takes 3 weeks for them to receive that. I did my CASPER on Feb 28th. How about you?

@GemPA-yes it is probably because you took CASPER 2 weeks ago.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, patobe82 said:

I have not received the complete email yet. I took Casper on Dec 13th and submitted on feb 28th. I got the we received your verified caspa application!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your junk folder! Thats where my email was. 

21 hours ago, FuturePA2022 said:

PAs have more flexibility since they don't have to specialize and less schooling. There is also more of a work/life balance as a PA in my opinion.

Anecdotal but the PAs in my shop work more than the docs and there are overall less of them. It’s prob a 3 or 4:1 for docs to PAs. 

22 minutes ago, FuturePA2022 said:

What’s your reason(s) @medic1210

1. I’m 33 and have seen my share of the critical stuff in the ED. It’s no longer exciting. I’d rather manage the more “bread and butter”. 

2. I really respect being part of the team but don’t want to be in total charge of said team. 

3.  Medical school is 4 + 3 at least. That makes me 40-41. That’s not old but that’s a lot of time hold up in a room studying. 

That being said, I’m still in talks with wife to take MCAT if (IF!) I don’t get into EVMS but not sure I want to. It’s just an idea not a plan. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I have good news for everyone who has not received a complete email. I was freaking out about this so I called, I was told that everyone who did not receive an emailing stating that you are missing something from your application is now “under review” so we are all under review now. I hope that helps and good luck everyone... I feel so much better now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2