VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

Guest SecondCareerPrePA

Congrats to all that received their "application under review" letters.  Every year they receive around 1,500 applications, but only about 750 make it through to the ARC due to the high number of applicants who don't fulfill every qualification.  Your chances of getting an interview just increased immensely.

Question...I got email 2/4/19 from EVMS stating "This is a follow-up email letting you know that you have met all application file requirements and are eligible for review by the Application Review Committee. This review process will extend until after the cycle closes and all applicants with receive a decision by June 2019".

Is this the same "application under review" letters you guys also received????

TIA!!

Vicky

1 minute ago, thegrayprepa said:

Question...I got email 2/4/19 from EVMS stating "This is a follow-up email letting you know that you have met all application file requirements and are eligible for review by the Application Review Committee. This review process will extend until after the cycle closes and all applicants with receive a decision by June 2019".

Is this the same "application under review" letters you guys also received????

TIA!!

Vicky

Great question, Vicky.  I was wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

I grew up in Va Beach, spent 8 years in DC/Maryland area for undergrad and grad school and now I have recently moved back to Va Beach to pursue EVMS cause its my top school and I want to stay in the area cause of family and I love it here. So if any of you need to know the area I can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dogmom12 said:

Hi!

Interviews usually consist of three portions. Two one-on-one interviews and one group interview. The one-on-one interviews are with a faculty member and a community PA. The group interview is with about 6 prospective students and 3-4 faculty members. The interviewers do not try to trick you. It is pretty laid back but you still need to prepare.

My first year has gone pretty well. You are going to hear from many people that PA school is similar to "drinking from a water hose." This is definitely accurate and you will be more stressed out/busy/exhausted than you have ever been in your life - but it will be worth it. I was accepted to several schools and am very happy with my choice.

If I could offer you any advice for the interview it would be to practice questions with a stranger. This type of "desensitization" can help with you nerves and help you organize your thoughts better.

Thank you for this feedback! I have purchased "How to Ace the Physician Assistant Interview" and am finding this book to be very helpful. I am definitely going to try the practice questions with a stranger and in the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh, thank goodness! I was stressing there for a minute thinking I didn't make it to the next phase. 

I live in VA Beach, but I am not originally from VA. I also work at the hospital (SNGH) connected to the EVMS campus. Please let me know if I can help anyone as well. 

I should probably start prepping in the event I receive an interview invite.

Only four more weeks and hopefully we will know something. Best of luck to you all!!

And a special thank you to current and past students for their support, encouragement, and information. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, thegrayprepa said:

Oh, thank goodness! I was stressing there for a minute thinking I didn't make it to the next phase. 

I live in VA Beach, but I am not originally from VA. I also work at the hospital (SNGH) connected to the EVMS campus. Please let me know if I can help anyone as well. 

I should probably start prepping in the event I receive an interview invite.

Only four more weeks and hopefully we will know something. Best of luck to you all!!

And a special thank you to current and past students for their support, encouragement, and information. 

Lol understandable. This is a really long wait

Yes, it’s a very long wait. Hopefully we start hearing something 3 weeks from tomorrow. However, about 2 application cycles ago, invites went out the last week in May instead of the usual first week in June. Fingers crossed. Happy Mother’s Day to all the Moms out there! 😀

Edited by FuturePA2022

So, I found out that I was way off in my qGPA (last 40 credits) calculations. I now understand that EVMS pulls the last 40 credits directly as it is entered in CASPA. If I had entered classes that were in the same semester in a different order, I'd have a better qGPA. Nevertheless, here are my updated stats.

Stats 1st time (2017/2018 Cycle): Prereq GPA: 3.75, Last 40 credits: 3.55, PCE: about 7K hours, volunteer: about 500 hours---- No interview invite, told I was about 2 points away from an interview but had too many Bs in my prereqs (I had 2 Bs).

Stats 2nd time (2018/2019 Cycle): Prereq GPA: 4.0, Last 40 credits: 3.68, PCE: about 9K hours, volunteer: 500 hours

Just thought I'd share this in case this helps anyone. I assumed they would use the higher grade for two classes that were in the same semester, but they literally pull it from the exact order that it is entered in CASPA from the bottom-up.

Hoping for an interview invite in the next couple of weeks! 🤞

Best wishes to everyone.

Edited by FuturePA2022