VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

On 2/28/2019 at 6:33 PM, dp1391 said:

Hello everyone, I am re-applying to EVMS for this cycle.  Last year I got interview and got into wait-list.  I hope to get it in this year.  Also my CASPer Test is today let's hope we do good.

Any background like stats from last year compared to this year? Always good for future applicants to have a way of gauging their potential. 

Last cycle

Qualifying 3.38
Prerequisite 3.6
Healthcare hours 2200 as a CNA
No Shadowing
No Volunteer
Letters of rec: 3 PhD’s from masters thesis

This cycle

Qualifying 3.5
Prerequisite 3.9
Healthcare hours 7100 as a CNA/ patient care tech/ care partner
106 hours shadowing
50 from cardiac PA
50 from trauma service pa
6 from pain management PA
150 volunteer
Letters of rec:
1 md from work
1 pa from shadowing
1 from nursing supervisor
1 from PhD from Neuroendocrinology lab principle investigator

I hope I get an interview this time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@patobe82

we are in similar position with academics. 3.51 and 3.83 for my qualifying and prerequisite. Only major difference is 25k of direct HCE as a medic for me. I also have some leadership, research, and volunteer work. 

Best of luck to you. I can’t see why you wouldn’t get an interview. 

Did they tell you last cycle what you needed to improve?

Edited by medic1210

Ok so I emailed the director and they said I had too many b’s in my prerequisite classes, so I retook the 3 classes I got B’s in. I’m actually taking anatomy and physiology 2 right now and have an A. So I’ll get a 4.0 for prerequisite if I can get my transcript to them in time for interviews. Also, I kept working as a care partner like he said to do. Here goes nothing!

1 minute ago, patobe82 said:

Ok so I emailed the director and they said I had too many b’s in my prerequisite classes, so I retook the 3 classes I got B’s in. I’m actually taking anatomy and physiology 2 right now and have an A. So I’ll get a 4.0 for prerequisite if I can get my transcript to them in time for interviews. Also, I kept working as a care partner like he said to do. Here goes nothing!

Good deal. I have one B and an A- in my prereqs and unfortunately due to my stupid self one F in my last 43 credits but it’s from more than three years ago. Hopefully it won’t drag me down.

But seriously great job on your hard work!

He told me that most of the class has less than two b’s in their prerequisite, so I’m not sure if that is an important
Statistic they look at, but if it is we are in good standing. Good job to you too. That’s an amazing amount of healthcare hours too!

1 minute ago, patobe82 said:

He told me that most of the class has less than two b’s in their prerequisite, so I’m not sure if that is an important
Statistic they look at, but if it is we are in good standing. Good job to you too. That’s an amazing amount of healthcare hours too!

I think I recall reading they weigh your prereqs higher than replacement or whatever it may be. I don’t want quoted on that but if someone else wants to weigh in on this being true or not?

Wow! Awesome improvement @patobe82 I didn’t realize that prerequisite grades can be updated? I thought everything that was sent in by March 1 was final? 

I had two Bs in my prerequisites last cycle and the rest were As. I was told one B or none is ideal.

@medic1210 I’m not sure about the prereqs  weighing more but I hope that’s true! Don’t beat yourself up too bad about your last 40. If you happen to have to reapply, just take another class or two to knock that F out of the last 40 and it will be out of your life forever! Fingers crossed! 

Wishing everyone the best! 

Okay so everything is final on March 1st, but I was told if you get your unofficial transcript in and you call them, that it may be looked it when interview time comes around.. I’m just hoping it will but technically everything is final on March 1st. I hope that clears things up

• Upvote 2

On 3/6/2019 at 6:58 PM, FuturePA2022 said:

Wow! Awesome improvement @patobe82 I didn’t realize that prerequisite grades can be updated? I thought everything that was sent in by March 1 was final? 

I had two Bs in my prerequisites last cycle and the rest were As. I was told one B or none is ideal.

@medic1210 I’m not sure about the prereqs  weighing more but I hope that’s true! Don’t beat yourself up too bad about your last 40. If you happen to have to reapply, just take another class or two to knock that F out of the last 40 and it will be out of your life forever! Fingers crossed! 

Wishing everyone the best! 

@FuturePA2022

I agree about beating myself up but to answer the question about prerequisite > qualifying GPA, I do recall reading it but can’t source it. However, when EVMS sends the application file requirements after app submission, notice prereqs, CASPER, and other things are mentioned but not qualifying GPA. It’s not listed for part of the file review. That strikes me as odd. Perhaps it does carry less weight?

• Upvote 1

Update to my question RE: last 40 replacement GPA. 

Received an an email that stated they utilized my last 43 credits and my GPA is 3.51. That’s lower than my competitive 3.87 GPA. I’m not sure how they determined using my last 43 and not my last 40.5. I’ve emailed them to ask about this. There is now a good chance I won’t be interviewing if this stays as is. 

Someone may have said this already, but, they will take the better of the two GPAs. It's not automatically the last 40 for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ETA: I misread your comment initially as cumulative instead of "competitive." But, I'll leave my comment in case it helps anyone else

• Like 1