VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

I didn't see a current forum post for the 2018-2019 application cycle. If there is and I missed it, please let me know!!

I am signed up to attend the open house June 23rd from 1000-1200 and was wondering if anyone would be interested in meeting up afterwards to socialize and network. I live in the area so I can set up a space for us at a local venue. Depending on the number of those that RSVP, the venue may change, but it will be in Norfolk where the school is located.

I was thinking 1230 or maybe we should shoot for 1300 in case the open house takes longer than planned. Has anyone attended and can give some feedback?

I'll post this info on the pre-PA facebook pages and if enough interest is created, I'll make a FB event.

Best of luck to you all!!

Vicky

Instagram handle: thegrayprepa

Edited by thegrayprepa
left out info
  • Like 1

Greetings!

I'm originally from the Hampton Roads area but have been living in Pittsburgh for a good while now. I will be making the trek down on 6/23 for the information session. I will also be applying for the c/o 2022. 

I am not sure we can stay for food/etc (7 hr trip back) but would definitely like to meet up.

Let's give some of our stats on here. Give which qualifying gpa you will be using, prerequisite gpa, HCE, and where you're from.

I'll start.

qGPA: 3.85 (last 40 credits)

prerequisiteGPA: 4.0 (w/ retakes)

HCE: >25k as paramedic in multiple settings

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing! Those stats are very competitive for the program! Best luck to you!

I'm a 44 year old military spouse and my husband is stationed here for the second time (and last time). I don't have any GPA stats to give yet because I still have one course to take - Organic Chem in the fall, but I will post once I do have them. 

First time applicant applying to only one program (YIKES!)

BS in Public Health

HCE: over 15k hours as radiology tech/interventional mammography tech

Volunteer: over 150 hours within last year

Shadowing: only 4 hours so far, but more lined up

LORs: radiologist, nephrologist, & PA (not all confirmed yet, but most likely)

Edited by thegrayprepa
left out something
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, thegrayprepa said:

Thank you for sharing! Those stats are very competitive for the program! Best luck to you!

I'm a 44 year old military spouse and my husband is stationed here for the second time (and last time). I don't have any GPA stats to give yet because I still have one course to take - Organic Chem in the fall, but I will post once I do have them. 

BS in Public Health

You certainly have the experience and background. Finish strong with OChem and you’ll be in a good spot. 

What made you choose EVMS (other than location)?

• Like 1

Besides location, it's an excellent program with a great reputation. I work with several EVMS surgeons, medical students and residents as they rotate through mammography and it's a very established program. They have high PANCE pass scores which is very important. In lab, they use human cadavers which I could only assume helps to learn in the most "real" setting as possible. Another aspect that I really like with the EVMS program is the students run HOPES clinic for underserved people in the community. I volunteered with a clinic similar to this one in Hilton Head, SC and the patients were so grateful and lovely to work with. It does feel really good at the end of the day to truly help someone that otherwise wouldn't have the access to care. I definitely got more out of it than they ever did!

How about you?

10 hours ago, thegrayprepa said:

Besides location, it's an excellent program with a great reputation. I work with several EVMS surgeons, medical students and residents as they rotate through mammography and it's a very established program. They have high PANCE pass scores which is very important. In lab, they use human cadavers which I could only assume helps to learn in the most "real" setting as possible. Another aspect that I really like with the EVMS program is the students run HOPES clinic for underserved people in the community. I volunteered with a clinic similar to this one in Hilton Head, SC and the patients were so grateful and lovely to work with. It does feel really good at the end of the day to truly help someone that otherwise wouldn't have the access to care. I definitely got more out of it than they ever did!

How about you?

It’s like voting for me. I’m not a one issue kinda guy. Their commitment to community and association with an allopathic program are strong attractors. I also love their attitude towards students who may not have done well before but turned it around. My undergraduate career was HORRIBLE. Focused more on work than school and late diagnosis learning issue really set me back. Maybe maturity was lacking as well. But I’ve done multiple retakes and taken some new classes over the past year while maintaining two jobs. And my grades have never been better. Their appreciation of change and growth is hugely important and a reason why I’m applying to so very few schools. I actually think I have a chance here. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, thegrayprepa said:

I didn't see a current forum post for the 2018-2019 application cycle. If there is and I missed it, please let me know!!

I am signed up to attend the open house June 23rd from 1000-1200 and was wondering if anyone would be interested in meeting up afterwards to socialize and network. I live in the area so I can set up a space for us at a local venue. Depending on the number of those that RSVP, the venue may change, but it will be in Norfolk where the school is located.

I was thinking 1230 or maybe we should shoot for 1300 in case the open house takes longer than planned. Has anyone attended and can give some feedback?

I'll post this info on the pre-PA facebook pages and if enough interest is created, I'll make a FB event.

Best of luck to you all!!

Vicky

Instagram handle: thegrayprepa

Hi Vicky! 

I have been to one of the info sessions. I think it was in June 2016. It was great. There's an informational briefing to start and then some Q&A. After that there's a student panel that shares a little and offers Q&A as well. Then, it ends with a tour of campus in small groups each led by a current student. We got to see the medical library and the cadaver lab. It was a very cool experience. 

The faculty and staff are so helpful and welcoming, and the students all seemed to be very pleased with the program. 

Hope that helps! 

On 5/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, thegrayprepa said:

BS in Public Health

I was also a first-time applicant applying only to EVMS. AND, I'm a military spouse, too. Husband's retirement ceremony is in less than three weeks, though!   ? ?

I applied last cycle and was fortunate to be offered an interview last week. ?  I was a dental hygienist for eleven years prior to having our youngest daughter six years ago. I started back to school for prerequisites nearly three years ago and went very part time since my youngest wasn't in school yet and husband went on TDY quite regularly. 

We're north of the bridge tunnels. ?

Best of luck! 

Darcy,

Congratulations to you and your husband on his upcoming retirement! I can't even imagine what it'll be like being a civilian family in a couple years. This is literally all I have known our entire marriage! 

Thank you for the information on the open house. I am excited to go on a tour and see inside the buildings I walk by almost every day! I work prn at SNGH next to EVMS. 

And how exciting you got an interview invite!! That is AWESOME! Best of luck to you!!

Vicky

@thegrayprepa  Thank you, Vicky! 

My husband has been active duty the whole 17 years we've been married as well. Civilian world will be quite a change. But, as a retiree family, I bet we will never be far from a base. LOL My husband is being considered for a civilian position in the same building he works in now. Who knows after PA school! 

D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy!

Looking forward to hearing from this school. Here are my stats. Fingers crossed for an interview!

8K + hrs of direct patient contact as registered dental hygienist. (BS in dental hygiene)
Volunteer ~100 hrs as rescue squad ambulance driver, and at a free dental clinic. CPR certified. 
Shadowing ~30 hrs
cGPA: 3.4
SGPA: 3.17 (I know its low, taking 2 more upper level science this semester to boost it!)

I know my stats aren't uber competitive but I've already received at least one interview at another school so I know they aren't too terrible. I reallllllly hope to get the chance to interview at EVMS! Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clarbd said:

Howdy!

Looking forward to hearing from this school. Here are my stats. Fingers crossed for an interview!

8K + hrs of direct patient contact as registered dental hygienist. (BS in dental hygiene)
Volunteer ~100 hrs as rescue squad ambulance driver, and at a free dental clinic. CPR certified. 
Shadowing ~30 hrs
cGPA: 3.4
SGPA: 3.17 (I know its low, taking 2 more upper level science this semester to boost it!)

I know my stats aren't uber competitive but I've already received at least one interview at another school so I know they aren't too terrible. I reallllllly hope to get the chance to interview at EVMS! Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone. 

What other school if you don't mind me asking?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I will be a second-time applicant. I will probably apply in late January 2019.

My stats:

qGPA: 3.94 (last 40 credits)

sGPA: 3.06 & post- bacc sGPA : 3.84 (not including recent science courses) 

Prerequisite GPA: 3.81

>2500 PCE as a volunteer EMT, MA, CNA, and PT Aide.

Volunteer Hours >1000 hours

I've improved my application a lot since last year so I hope I will get an interview this year!

Edited by futurePAeryka
  • Like 1

@futurePAerykaThat's awesome! I'm sure you have talked to several people who have applied more than one year and I truly do believe that the additional time before acceptance only will shape you into a better student and future clinician. I know that's not easy to hear for most and would be a hard pill to swallow if I am not accepted, but I do trust the process. I wish you all the best! It looks like you have the right attitude and drive needed to get there! 

• Like 1

I just registered for the CASPer test. I will take it in November. Anyone else taking the test in November? I have completed half of my CASPA app. Just need to finish my last prereq - Org Chem - which will be complete early December. I'm also working on my personal statement and my resume to submit to those writing LORs for me. What did you guys give your LOR writers?? Getting super excited! It's really beginning to feel real!!

• Like 1

[mention=129077]futurePAeryka[/mention]That's awesome! I'm sure you have talked to several people who have applied more than one year and I truly do believe that the additional time before acceptance only will shape you into a better student and future clinician. I know that's not easy to hear for most and would be a hard pill to swallow if I am not accepted, but I do trust the process. I wish you all the best! It looks like you have the right attitude and drive needed to get there! 

Aww thank you for such a thoughtful response! Best to luck to you as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1