VIRGINIA: EVMS CASPA Cycle for the Class of 2022

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello past applicants! I know that the due date for this cycle is in a few days, but I am still contemplating whether or not I should waste my money on yet another application. I thought that I had a good chance at this school until I digged deeper into their admissions handbook where it talked about "STRONGLY RECOMMENDING" over 1k hours of paid direct clinical experience. I just learned that they count scribe hours as "peri clinical" and not "direct" patient care experience. I have over 1K hours of scribing experience. I just graduated this December with BS biology, so I did not have the funds or the money to get certified for a hands-on job such as an EMT or CNA. At first I felt okay applying to this school since they do not technically require healthcare experience and I have a lot of HCE hours. But it seems like their past statistics shows that applicants had both peri and direct PCE (I only have peri). I was wondering if any of you that got accepted mainly had peri-clinical hours instead of the direct PCE? I used to work as a home health aide which was technically direct PCE, but I did not learn anything about what a PA does like I do at my scribe job. Every provider that I worked with told me being a scribe is one of the most valuable experiences to become a PA so I really feel like I am gaining as much knowledge as possible for PA school with my limited resources as a in-debt recent graduate. What do you think? Should I just look at other programs that will accept my scribe hours as PCE instead?