How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

17 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

My base salary is $120k, but am on track to make something in the ballpark of $20k-$25k in bonus.  I don't have a breakdown what that comes out to hourly as my hours/week vary, but I'm not working tremendous hours and don't have call.  But, location and job duties/description matters a lot in terms of pay.

Thanks very much, that's very helpful! I've been trying to get a sense of how competitive my current salary is and what to expect if I ever move out-of-state and have to look for another ortho job in the future. I love ortho but have been concerned that I would be doomed to work crazy hours without commensurate pay if I ever have to move and find another job

First offer post residency 85$ hr and has 4 weeks PTO rural ER. I did have a family medicine offer at 140k a yr plus RVU but that was the clinic I rotated at in PA school and I fit in well there and it was an offer as I only applied for EM jobs. Some 1099 work at 103$ hr as well

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’ll make roughly 130k over the past year. Started as a new grad in family med at 75k, lasted a year and left making 90k. Started in GI making about that and then through some changes with the company my salary got a large % increase. I’m in what I would consider average cost of living area. I work 4.5 days a week. Get 4 hours of PDO a week, 401k match to 6%. Good practice, hours are typically 8-4.  Happy, not stressed, making enough money to enjoy it. 

• Upvote 1

As I sit here next to the ocean I ponder life.  Work. Salary. Benefits.  Happiness.  

I am hopeful the job I have taken which starts in about a month will work.  3.6 day work week.  Exceptional bennies and just under 120.   

should provide some balance for me I how.   Time will tell. Honestly it is about the whole package these days meaning I have to be on a team and like the people I work with and be practicing good medicine at the top of my license.  Hard to find but thinking I have the unicorn.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShakaHoo said:

Wow, not sure what I am doing wrong over here.

I get paid $66 an hour - 8 years into my career.  Seems many are making $20+ more an hour.  I am in one of the highest paying states for PA-C's as well.  

start looking

interview

find better paying position and if you like current position ask for a raise to stay, or move...

tend to only make huge improvements in pay with changing jobs....

BUT DO NOT LET YOUR CURRENT JOB KNOW YOU ARE LOOKING AT ALL TILL IT IS A DONE DEAL

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

I get paid $66 an hour - 8 years into my career.  Seems many are making $20+ more an hour.  I am in one of the highest paying states for PA-C's as well.  

Don't fool yourself. Salary is not everything. Job satisfaction, benefits, how many PTO days you get... everything counts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BayPAC said:
19 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

Don't fool yourself. Salary is not everything. Job satisfaction, benefits, how many PTO days you get... everything counts. 

All of this matters.  Also, area of medicine matters.  EM, which is what I do, tends to pay better, though almost always has no PTO.  My job satisfaction and other benefits are great - best job I've ever had.  Planning on being the last FT job I have before retirement.

Pay rates in EM are very regional. Higher cost of living area(say SF bay area) or very rural generally means more money. Higher scope of practice/solo coverage generally means more money. I have 4 different clinical jobs now and pay rates are all over the place. some are W2, some are 1099. Some pay for mileage while others do not. I live and work in the pacific NW. I know I could make more if I moved to the east coast, but as others have said, money is not everything. I like the mix of places I work at now. Each one is different. My lowest paying job pays $30/hr less than my highest paying job, but I have been there for 14 years, am the highest paid PA on staff, and have no intention of ever leaving. Scope of practice, interactions with your colleagues, and autonomy and respect are all important factors. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

All of this matters.  Also, area of medicine matters.  EM, which is what I do, tends to pay better, though almost always has no PTO.  My job satisfaction and other benefits are great - best job I've ever had.  Planning on being the last FT job I have before retirement.

Dumb question about the lack of PTO, does this extend to your EM physician colleagues as well? For the folks who have been doing this awhile, was PTO a thing in EM then slowly dissolved?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Dumb question about the lack of PTO, does this extend to your EM physician colleagues as well? For the folks who have been doing this awhile, was PTO a thing in EM then slowly dissolved?

Thanks. 

Not a dumb question. Physicians (in my experience) are much less likely to have PTO, retirement etc depending on their group set up than PAs.

1 hour ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Thanks. 

The larger groups still provide PTO and benefits. Many jobs at smaller facilities are either 1099 or do not provide PTO. 

Every full time W2 position I have ever had has given me full bennies. I have been 1099 since 2018, so I self-fund all of that now. 

2 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Not a dumb question. Physicians (in my experience) are much less likely to have PTO, retirement etc depending on their group set up than PAs.

but...they get "partnership" perks that we can only dream about. At one place I worked for 15 years the docs got 50% of the RVUs of every PA chart they signed, 75% if they were at all involved in the care. The PAs basically bought each doc a new BMW every year and bought their house if they worked there for 20 years. 

Physician benefits vary a lot by employer.  Even within the large EM staffing groups like TeamHealth, Envision, and USACS there are lots of variations based on site, region, prior history if the physician was part of a smaller group that the large company purchased.  I've not seen the physicians get PTO when the PA's & NP's did not, but it could certainly happen in other locations.  I've worked for both TeamHealth and Envision and neither provided any PTO to any level of provider.  In some cases the physicians were pushed to be 1099 contractors while the PA's & NP's were W2 employees.  If the docs were W2, the healthcare benefits tended to be the same as everyone else's.

Partnership benefits tend only to exist in the smaller physician owned groups, not in the large staffing companies.

8 hours ago, EastCoastPA said:

Maryland, hospital, weak pay after 4 years there... Oh you work at Hopkins?

Not hopkins, small community hospital. 

There are other jobs in the area with higher hourly rate but no PTO, no bonus structure, so when compared side by side accounting for bennies and the total package I still came out a little ahead. But I agree, I don't get paid enough for what I do so I'm looking for locums now. 

How much do you think I should make after 4 years of experience?

15 hours ago, Patho said:

Not hopkins, small community hospital. 

There are other jobs in the area with higher hourly rate but no PTO, no bonus structure, so when compared side by side accounting for bennies and the total package I still came out a little ahead. But I agree, I don't get paid enough for what I do so I'm looking for locums now. 

How much do you think I should make after 4 years of experience?

Honestly not entirely sure, not a hospitalist here. I can tell you that UMD and Medstar start new grads at 55 though. I imagine what part of MD you are in makes a huge difference. I mean MD can mean large city, capital region, or places where the banjo scene from Deliverance wouldn't feel out of place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1