How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

On 6/26/2018 at 7:12 PM, TheLastStone said:

What location? Is this common? Do you have PA's at your practice? I'm sure it's against policy, but people talk... do they make around the same? 

Inpatient services (consults, various psych units, etc.). Hospitalist group and model. Western US major metro. Very high COL here, though from what I understand, it's pretty common for psych NPs to bring in ~150k+ in major cities throughout the US, though you usually need 1-2 years experience

this was their post on first page

43 minutes ago, PA-SGuy said:

Inpatient services (consults, various psych units, etc.). Hospitalist group and model. Western US major metro. Very high COL here, though from what I understand, it's pretty common for psych NPs to bring in ~150k+ in major cities throughout the US, though you usually need 1-2 years experience

this was their post on first page

I had an idea it was more west, but I have also heard PMHNP is lucrative. Have any thoughts on why that is? Lack of psychiatrists or is there much more to it that I'm not aware of?

12 hours ago, TheLastStone said:

I had an idea it was more west, but I have also heard PMHNP is lucrative. Have any thoughts on why that is? Lack of psychiatrists or is there much more to it that I'm not aware of?

a lot of psych jobs i searched wanted a PMHNP most likely due to the lack of supervision needed and billing purposes. I've read/heard a PA cannot bill for certain things in psych unless they have a CAQ whereas a NP can = more money. I think the nation in general has a paucity of psychiatrists so that factor will always be there.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 6:15 AM, Border said:

Job #1  $115/hour for 20 hours per week and on call 24x7 for correctional facility (built into hourly)

Job #2 Per diem $90/hr no bennies

Thought I was doing great, but by other peoples post I might have to rethink.....

lol our correctional facilities pay like new grads 70K a year  lol Pennsylvania sucks. I dont even know why Im here, the state itself sucks, Its like a hot humid Seattle, with backwards 1800 laws. We just now started to be able to buy beer outside of a beer distributor and still have state liquor stoors 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ravenspac said:

lol our correctional facilities pay like new grads 70K a year  lol Pennsylvania sucks. I dont even know why Im here, the state itself sucks, Its like a hot humid Seattle, with backwards 1800 laws. We just now started to be able to buy beer outside of a beer distributor and still have state liquor stoors 

yup, I went to Drexel. Loved my program and rotations, hated everything else about philly, the city of brotherly shove. I left the state for good immediately from graduation(as in, my car was packed in the driveway and I headed north immediately following the ceremony).

FWIW I made 70k my first year out of school....in 1996

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just found out that the company for our practice decided on PA bonuses. Up to 60k a year based on (1/5 of it) pt satisfaction, and the other RVU. They looked back over 2 years, and they tell us we should be able to obtain 100-110% of that whole bonus. They also decided on double pay if we want to work an extra weekend. No thanks, but thanks!

1 hour ago, delco714 said:

Just found out that the company for our practice decided on PA bonuses. Up to 60k a year based on (1/5 of it) pt satisfaction, and the other RVU. They looked back over 2 years, and they tell us we should be able to obtain 100-110% of that whole bonus. They also decided on double pay if we want to work an extra weekend. No thanks, but thanks!

You bumped the old thread! Post in this one 

https://www.physicianassistantforum.com/topic/48486-how-much-do-you-make-poll-pt2/

• 2 years later...
On 9/10/2018 at 12:49 PM, EMEDPA said:

FWIW I made 70k my first year out of school....in 1996

me too at my first job after I left the Army...in 1990.

3 hours ago, ianwhitew said:

I want to ask people who make >$151,000. US. How the hell do you make?

Its the job and location. I worked for a UC where I live and the starting salary for me was 164k but more like 190k with OT. It was soul crushing work but the money and benefits were great.

Now I work for the VA at about $140k but no call, great benefits, and an actual lifetime pension.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ianwhitew said:

don't work for people that don't pay and always be on the look out for the next one (cause bean counters come in and wreck the good ones)

I am around $150 now (maybe a little under actually) but in what appears to be a great practice

full time 120k

second job 20k if I kill it in a year (lots of hours)

I can live off the 120 so the other money is mad money

In the past I have been as high at 170k but that was a lot of work (yet the doc's who do LESS then I did earned 1.5 - 2 times as much...... )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/27/2018 at 2:40 PM, delco714 said:

Bump. How are the practice laws in Maine? It's a state I'm interested in going after PA school. I saw there were some major improvements/enhancements at the start of COVID.

15 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Now I work for the VA at about $140k but no call, great benefits, and an actual lifetime pension.

Careful thinking it is a lifetime pension.  While that is what it is advertised to be, looking at what happened when other governments (even superpowers like USSR) failed this may not be the case.  When the USSR collapsed most national pensions (military) were "reset" and then paid for the newly formed regional governments (Ukraine).  I'm not sure what happened to those 10-20 years later as the regional governments were re-connected back into a Russian national government.  Would be interesting to know....

18 hours ago, ianwhitew said:

Work 40 hrs a week for more than $75/hr.

BTW - just got an email today for two local jobs, both FP.  One pay range was $42-$57/hr, the other was $37-$45/hour.

Fthat and FJB.

The NPs have flooded the market, and the market is FLOODED.

5 more years.  That's all I need is 5 more years, then I just work to play.

14 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Careful thinking it is a lifetime pension.  While that is what it is advertised to be, looking at what happened when other governments (even superpowers like USSR) failed this may not be the case.  When the USSR collapsed most national pensions (military) were "reset" and then paid for the newly formed regional governments (Ukraine).  I'm not sure what happened to those 10-20 years later as the regional governments were re-connected back into a Russian national government.  Would be interesting to know....

Yup and you could be struck by a metorite, or get some rare 1:1,000,000 disease, or worse yet you could get sick or hit by a car......   just seems like any of these are more possible then a total collapse of the US Gov't.

Work 40 hrs a week for more than $75/hr.

BTW - just got an email today for two local jobs, both FP.  One pay range was $42-$57/hr, the other was $37-$45/hour.

I am seeing more of these recently, I send off a nice email stating I made more then that 20 years ago and to please stop emailing me insulting offers.

Fthat and FJB.

Unsure what you are saying here and rather it belongs in the political thread??

The NPs have flooded the market, and the market is FLOODED.

I disagree - NP's combined with a world wide pandemic with restrictive practice patterns (supervision) along with to many years of AAPA and NCCPA not leading from the front got us here.  Jobs are loosening up, and I just took one that is really good, with excellent benefits and compensation.  They are there.

5 more years.  That's all I need is 5 more years, then I just work to play.

Amen - I got about 10, and I honestly am excited to work hard for 10 years then slow way down.  

30 minutes ago, justanotherperson said:

Anybody here in ortho who can comment on their salary? I get $70/hour, 1 year of experience so far. 

My base salary is $120k, but am on track to make something in the ballpark of $20k-$25k in bonus.  I don't have a breakdown what that comes out to hourly as my hours/week vary, but I'm not working tremendous hours and don't have call.  But, location and job duties/description matters a lot in terms of pay.

9 hours ago, bike mike said:

I feel very lucky. I recently took a job that pays > $200k. I admit my background is unique: completed a cardiology residency, worked the CCU, outpatient general cardiology, and now EP. I've got location, speciality, and pay.... trifecta! 

Awesome!!   Is it in a high COLA area??