How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

Guest ERCat

I feel like there’s no correlation between what the pay is and the cost of living is. As an Arizona PA in the ER I make more than people in California even though our cost of living is like a third of theirs. I don’t understand why those hard-working folks aren’t making more money to make up for their very high cost-of-living.

I feel like there’s no correlation between what the pay is and the cost of living is. As an Arizona PA in the ER I make more than people in California even though our cost of living is like a third of theirs. I don’t understand why those hard-working folks aren’t making more money to make up for their very high cost-of-living.
It is getting better in California but unfortunately everything is more expensive too. Very common ER PAs making 200k now but when your house payment alone is 5-6k it's like a shot in the leg.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It is getting better in California but unfortunately everything is more expensive too. Very common ER PAs making 200k now but when your house payment alone is 5-6k it's like a shot in the leg.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rice a roni is the only thing out of San Francisco I'll afford

On 6/14/2018 at 11:07 PM, ERCat said:

The beach, warm weather, 1 season, hot/warm...They are sacrificing pay for warmth... 

I would love to live in CA on the Coast from SLO north, but would need to make probably 300,000+/yr to have the same standard of living I have now. I was raised in SoCal and went to UCSC for undergrad and stayed for medic school .

My parents' old house that they paid 75k for in 1977 is now selling in the millions. ( Zestimate®: $3,744,776 )

1500 square feet. no ocean view.

Dad was a physician with a busy practice. no way I'm moving back to the old neighborhoods anytime soon...

2 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I would love to live in CA on the Coast from SLO north, but would need to make probably 300,000+/yr to have the same standard of living I have now. I was raised in SoCal and went to UCSC for undergrad and stayed for medic school .

My parents' old house that they paid 75k for in 1977 is now selling in the millions. ( Zestimate®: $3,744,776 )

1500 square feet. no ocean view.

Dad was a physician with a busy practice. no way I'm moving back to the old neighborhoods anytime soon...

I hear you EMED. There’s definitely a price for living here that’s not worth it to many. Someone mentioned they make more in Arizona than the PAs do in CA. The nurses in Arizona don’t make more than the nurses in CA. That’s my point. I think the PAs in CA possibly haven’t advocated for themselves as well as the nurses have. Even with comparable (to what the nurses have) increases in pay, many PAs would not find it worth it to live in CA and I get that. 

• Like 1

A PA/NP should make at least 1/3rd more than a nurse for similar levels of experience. not too many jobs out there offering $120/hr + full benefits...

most of northern CA used to be cheap and rural. In 1992 I almost became the first paramedic in Mendocino county, until I found out they were only going to offer me emt-intermediate wages to do a paramedic's job and be on call whenever I wasn't at work....no thanks... same deal in Eureka.

• Like 1

A PA/NP should make at least 1/3rd more than a nurse for similar levels of experience. not too many jobs out there offering $120/hr + full benefits...
most of northern CA used to be cheap and rural. In 1992 I almost became the first paramedic in Mendocino county, until I found out they were only going to offer me emt-intermediate wages to do a paramedic's job and be on call whenever I wasn't at work....no thanks... same deal in Eureka.
Sorry to decrease the census ;). I'm happy I'm finally getting what I deserve and worked hard for in this speciality!
And in a state with no state income tax and COL and arguably better qol than new England..
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, delco714 said:

Sorry to decrease the census ;). I'm happy I'm finally getting what I deserve and worked hard for in this speciality!
And in a state with no state income tax and COL and arguably better qol than new England..

Vegas> Maine? explain that one to me....I guess I am biased. I consider ME, VT, and NH to be just about perfect and Nevada to be just outside of hell(hot, flat, dry, hours to drive to get anywhere, etc).

Vegas has mountains and outdoor stuff nearby too..Sure less water and no ocean.. No 6 months of winter, no real heating costs..more sunshine, better housing opportunity, no mosquitoes and black flies. Culture. Yeah I'll say it, outside Boston, NE is white. Boston is white too but liberal. NE is expensive for what it is. Dating pool sucks where I am. Vt nh are also fairly desolate. Good luck traveling during winter. Ultimately there is objective data that determines qol by standards..ie. Maine is stupid safe. But lest we not forget..qol is largely still subjective :).

Vegas> Maine? explain that one to me....I guess I am biased. I consider ME, VT, and NH to be just about perfect and Nevada to be just outside of hell(hot, flat, dry, hours to drive to get anywhere, etc).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, delco714 said:

Vegas has mountains and outdoor stuff nearby too..Sure less water and no ocean.. No 6 months of winter, no real heating costs..more sunshine, better housing opportunity, no mosquitoes and black flies. Culture. Yeah I'll say it, outside Boston, NE is white. Boston is white too but liberal. NE is expensive for what it is. Dating pool sucks where I am. Vt nh are also fairly desolate. Good luck traveling during winter. Ultimately there is objective data that determines qol by standards..ie. Maine is stupid safe. But lest we not forget..qol is largely still subjective :).

fair enough. I am married and like snow and bodies of water and hate high temps(what about yr round ac costs?). I have family in Boston, NH,  and VT. would love to go work with Kargiver's  group in VT, but can't get the wife to leave the NW. My family is originally from Boston, but Dad took a job right out of residency in CA "for a few years" and stayed for > 20. I am the first member of my family in something like 10 generations to not attend an Ivy league college. the shame of it all....:)

fair enough. I am married and like snow and bodies of water and hate high temps(what about yr round ac costs?). I have family in Boston, NH,  and VT. would love to go work with Kargiver's  group in VT, but can't get the wife to leave the NW. My family is originally from Boston, but Dad took a job right out of residency in CA "for a few years" and stayed for > 20. I am the first member of my family in something like 10 generations to not attend an Ivy league college. the shame of it all....:)
Whole house Central cooling units and electricity (cheaper there than NE). So sqft and cool loss dependent. Research and examples from locals, mean I am paying about 30% more max on electricity. 60$ -> 80.. 100? 125? Don't care. I spent $2000 from nov to march on propane for heating my house, with Nest thermostat and low temps, and no children. :)

30 minutes ago, delco714 said:
36 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Whole house Central cooling units and electricity (cheaper there than NE). So sqft and cool loss dependent. Research and examples from locals, mean I am paying about 30% more max on electricity. 60$ -> 80.. 100? 125? Don't care. I spent $2000 from nov to march on propane for heating my house, with Nest thermostat and low temps, and no children. ?

congrats on new job and situation. maybe look into solar? plenty of sun there after all....:)

• Like 1