Ideas for Category 2 CME

• Administrator

I teach EMT students, initial and refresher training.  Psych CE that isn't CME counts as cat 2, too. But I hardly even bother recording Cat 2 since I'm routinely doubling if not tripling, the annual CME requirements solely using Cat 1, and in that case, Cat 2 is totally optional.

19 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

precepting is hour for hour as far as I know. I always have a PA student and work 24 hr shifts, so I max out my cat 2 (50 hrs) for each 2 year cycle within the first week of each cycle. 

This has changed. You can now claim a max of 20 credits, and you get 2 hours CME per FORTY hour week.

https://www.aapa.org/cme-central/aapa-cme-accreditation/category-1-cme-for-preceptors/

31 minutes ago, CAAdmission said:

I'm aware, just not sure why there might be a radical hour differential between 1 and 2. If you claim it and they don't care, good on ya.

Because these groups charge big $$$ for Cat 1. It's all a frigging racket. Around $20/cr in my experience. Nothing but a money maker for all the organizations.

10 hours ago, MediMike said:

Because these groups charge big $$$ for Cat 1. It's all a frigging racket. Around $20/cr in my experience. Nothing but a money maker for all the organizations.

Cat 1 can be offered by PA programs to preceptors. It costs the program a couple hundred bucks to register to be a CME provider with AAPA. To the preceptor it's totally free.