How have PRN jobs ended for you all?

I have been working once weekly regularly for almost 2 years at a position. I just saw my schedule for next month and I am no longer on the schedule at all. I get that I am no longer "needed", and that is fine as the position implies the risk, but how have you all been let go from this type of position? I guess I would have appreciated more than a week and a half notice before I knew about the upcoming pay cut/job loss. 

Same thing happened to me in DFW at a very popular Urgent Care.  Worked there almost 2 years and saved their butts on multiple occasions when someone would call in sick.  Then one month...no shifts.  Then the next...no shifts.  So I moved on.  About 3 months later I got a frantic "can you help us!!!" phone call.  Umm nope.  I'm busy.

• Upvote 5

• Administrator

The challenge of working such gigs is just that: when they desparately need you, you're usually working elsewhere.  I find that it's easy enough to cover for scheduled vacations, but hard to cover for sick providers.

It's a lot less traumatic to quit a part time job, and a lot less ego involved in going back to one if it makes sense.

• Upvote 1

I work PRN as a Hospitalist. Comes in spurts when they need vacation coverage, but they have me scheduled out several months in advance. They have me teaching the NPs (I’m the only PA) POCUS, so hopefully they plan on keeping me about. They are also solo Hospitalist and don’t report to anyone, so they only hire people with several year experience, or a residency. Makes me feel pretty secure about them.

1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I work PRN as a Hospitalist. Comes in spurts when they need vacation coverage, but they have me scheduled out several months in advance. They have me teaching the NPs (I’m the only PA) POCUS, so hopefully they plan on keeping me about. They are also solo Hospitalist and don’t report to anyone, so they only hire people with several year experience, or a residency. Makes me feel pretty secure about them.

Until the NPs learn what they need from you. 🤭

• Upvote 1

My old job (the one they furloughed me from until the fulough ran its course) used to live and die by PRN help. They haven't used a PRN provider since last March.

I have contacted several local practices and UC centers and they just don't have a need and aren't even interested in having a pool of "just in case" providers.

I have never been let go from a per diem position, fortunately. I have quit a few on my terms.

I actually started a new one in april and they want me to work quite a bit as they are unable to fill the full time position they have listed. I called them and said I don't want full time. I want a weekend a month. They said great. In Jan I have 7 shifts there by mutual agreement. 

I'm seeing exactly this at a PRN position I have in EM.  The hospital had a drop in census.  The EM co I work for cut PA hours.  Consequently, the FT and PT PA's are taking all the hours that remain.  I can't blame them.  This has been going on for at least 5 months.  I've not been let go and I'm sure that if they have a staffing crisis I'll get a call.    Since many ED's have cut staffing and it hasn't come all the way back I expect this to continue.   Employers are going to be very risk averse and are more likely to flog the horses to work faster than go back to previous staffing levels.

this is why the per diem rate needs to be 30% higher then regular rate

I have gone through a few "Dry spells" with past per diem jobs - and I don't read anything into them (course they are always in addition to full time employment)

Don't quit, just stick with it (leave you name on the rolls) if nothing else it prevents you from EVER having a break in employment and keeps you licensed....

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2020 at 6:50 PM, ventana said:

Not so much threaten, just is something that you need to explain. The Credentialing site is nit picky about breaks in employment over a certain time.  Ultimately this is an issue that we need to address.  Some states. No job is no SP and no SP is no license......

I believe it's just a formality and all they ask is why there was a break, which can be easily discussed: "Poor market, niche specialty, COVID, moved, furloughed, position eliminated secondary to budget cuts, family, health/recovering from surgery," and et cetera.