It appears that things are starting to improve on the job front for those who lost jobs and for new grads based on the number of "rate my offer" posts I've seen here and reddit.

But, please don't be stupid people.  An NP I used to work with before I transitioned to ortho was just terminated, and honestly it's her own fault.  She is a decent provider, patients like her, and she is good with staff.  As a result she had negotiated a $10,000 raise that was supposed to begin on 04/01/2020, but then COVID hit and all raises were frozen...and later all raises were negated.  Of course this is bull, and is wrong, but what are you going to do?

Well, she has been understandably miffed and has been raising some hell with admin over her lost raise on a regular basis.  On Monday she had a meeting with admin and told them she has started to look for new employment because she doesn't feel supported or advocated for.  Somehow she was surprised to be terminated yesterday at the end of her clinic "with cause" due to a laundry list of very minor issues, but they aren't made up (e.g. arriving after her first appointment should have started, not wearing her mask at all times, etc.).  The reasons are stupid, but it is obvious the hospital is going to attempt to block her from collecting unemployment.  She is now going to go from earning $105,000 to zero...and even if she is able to collect unemployment it won't cover anything close to her income.

So, don't go into a meeting with guns blazing unless you actually have something to back you up  Honestly, that's good advice even when we're not in the middle of a global pandemic...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I don't have a big head, but also think we need to speak up and advocate for ourselves from time to time.

Our administration just tried to pin an extra 4-5 hours of weekend work on the mid-level providers in my office, uncompensated.  We asked nicely individually and were denied.  We had a formal meeting with HR and head of department, and now are compensated for that time.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pac30 said:

Right, totally agree, but that's because you all went together. OP's NP picked a terrible time to try to get that raise back. I agree with standing up for ourselves, but it's all about picking our spots. 

I don't think it was so much that she was trying to get back her raise.  Instead it was her specific comment that she was actively looking to leave.  Think about it from an admin perspective.  You have an employee who is unhappy, not being a team player, and has told you she is trying to leave.  Why would you keep her?  So they didn't.

1 hour ago, ShakaHoo said:

We asked nicely individually and were denied.  We had a formal meeting with HR and head of department, and now are compensated for that time.  

Going together is back up, and often effective.  I am glad you were able to advocate for yourselves in an effective manner.

1 hour ago, ShakaHoo said:

I don't have a big head, but also think we need to speak up and advocate for ourselves from time to time.

Our administration just tried to pin an extra 4-5 hours of weekend work on the mid-level providers in my office, uncompensated.  We asked nicely individually and were denied.  We had a formal meeting with HR and head of department, and now are compensated for that time.  

good heavens PLEASE don't use that term..... it degrades us

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

I don't think it was so much that she was trying to get back her raise.  Instead it was her specific comment that she was actively looking to leave.  Think about it from an admin perspective.  You have an employee who is unhappy, not being a team player, and has told you she is trying to leave.  Why would you keep her?  So they didn't.

Going together is back up, and often effective.  I am glad you were able to advocate for yourselves in an effective manner.

Yeah, I definitely didn't interpret her saying it that way. Looking at what she said again, I completely see why they showed her the door. I just think deep down she thought threatening to leave was gonna get her what she wanted from them. We're both saying the same thing, I just made a half-gluteus'd post while taking a break at work. 🙂

4 hours ago, surgblumm said:

AS others have alluded to, when an employee says they are looking for a new job, administration is tasked with the responsibility of releasing them as a bad apple spoils the barrel.

On the flip side, admin should also be tasked with looking at themselves if people aren't happy - if one person is dissatisfied, they often aren't the only one, just most vocal.  This may have been headed off by both parties talking things out better well before this got to where it was.

10 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

The word "quit" should never be said until the day you do.

Yeah - I just started a new job this week after six years in a different hospital...once I accepted the job was when the "Chuck You Farley" letter went in.  I only told a few people about the interview and they kept it to themselves.  Senior management's first and last words to me since they entered/re-emerged from their bunkers in March on my last day - "just make sure you leave your stuff for me when you go home tonight"...this was 1 hour into a 12 hour shift with a full ED and waiting rooms.  I honestly think they were goading me to do what first came to mind - which actually was to go to their office and leave my "stuff" on their desk in a yellow puddle and just walk out and leave everyone in the lurch.  The Army did a good job of guilting me out about leaving my team in a situation like that though, and I just shook my head and went back to work.  Made for interesting conversation after when my opposite asked if I'd do some pick ups during my off time and I told him that since they wanted my ID and passes, I'm thinking I'm not welcome there anymore...

SK

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just to reiterate what I have said on other threads similar to this one. This is not 1994 where there was 12 jobs for every PA and no one had heard of NP's before.  My old admin mused to me one day that if a provider left she had a stack of 40 CV's sitting on her desk who would work more hours....for less money.  The honey pot days are over.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:57 PM, Cideous said:

Just to reiterate what I have said on other threads similar to this one. This is not 1994 where there was 12 jobs for every PA and no one had heard of NP's before.  My old admin mused to me one day that if a provider left she had a stack of 40 CV's sitting on her desk who would work more hours....for less money.  The honey pot days are over.

As a side note, managers who constantly use that threat are some of the worst people on the planet.

Yeah, we all get it, there’s a line of people for my job.. But the best way to ensure that I will give you nothing more than what is required, not even a single ounce, is to remind me regularly that I’m just a number to you. 

• Upvote 7

On 8/14/2020 at 9:25 AM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Yep, never leave on bad terms if one can avoid it.

I agree but sometimes it can't be helped. I left a job after 6 weeks once. I was told on the fist day of my new job that my job description had changed between the interview and my first day. This was after moving across the country. I was told I'd be managing patients on ECMO but then was told things had changed and that I'd be changing LVAD driveline dressings for a living. Yeah, no! I'm blacklisted from that teaching hospital and have no regrets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2