1 hour ago, KVB0821 said:

Congratulations to all who have received an interview, one step closer! Do any of you mind sharing your stats/ time of submission?

I'm an internal student, so my answer may not matter to you.
- BS/MS in computer science
- cGPA 3.42
- sGPA 3.78
- GRE omitted. I had to take it for my comp sci masters, but did average on it and chose not to add it to my application as it was not necessary for internal students
- PCE ~400 as CNA and mostly MA
- HCE ~1500 as chief medical scribe
- Submitted 9/2, completed 9/12, verified 9/18 --> MCPHS watches out for students who are internal and pulls their application for consideration as long as it's verified by 10/1
- Students who have completed 2 online special MCPHS pre-PA courses with passing marks and at least a 3.0 GPA are guaranteed an interview
- Interview extended on 9/24, interviewing this Saturday 10/5 with all the other internal students and some external applicants. Unlike external applicants, we do not get to choose our time slots

As a side note, which is stated on their website, special consideration is given to their internal applicants. Roughly 70% of internal students who are extended an invite get offered a seat. That last part is not on the website, but is known by internal students. Also, when acceptance offers are extended, they change every year, as does the interview style. So no one except the adcoms know that info.

Hope that helps!

Edited by NinjuhhKen
Accuracy

15 hours ago, NinjuhhKen said:

I'm an internal student, so my answer may not matter to you.
- BS/MS in computer science
- cGPA 3.42
- sGPA 3.78
- GRE omitted. I had to take it for my comp sci masters, but did average on it and chose not to add it to my application as it was not necessary for internal students
- PCE ~400 as CNA and mostly MA
- HCE ~1500 as chief medical scribe
- Submitted 9/2, completed 9/12, verified 9/18 --> MCPHS watches out for students who are internal and pulls their application for consideration as long as it's verified by 10/1
- Students who have completed 2 online special MCPHS pre-PA courses with passing marks and at least a 3.0 GPA are guaranteed an interview
- Interview extended on 9/24, interviewing this Saturday 10/5 with all the other internal students and some external applicants. Unlike external applicants, we do not get to choose our time slots

As a side note, which is stated on their website, special consideration is given to their internal applicants. Roughly 70% of internal students who are extended an invite get offered a seat. That last part is not on the website, but is known by internal students. Also, when acceptance offers are extended, they change every year, as does the interview style. So no one except the adcoms know that info.

Hope that helps!

@NinjuhhKen  Thanks for this info!  So interesting. Do you know approx how many internal applicants interview? If they accept approx 70% I wonder how many seats are left for external candidates.  Thanks for any additional insight.

22 minutes ago, Chris14 said:

@NinjuhhKen  Thanks for this info!  So interesting. Do you know approx how many internal applicants interview? If they accept approx 70% I wonder how many seats are left for external candidates.  Thanks for any additional insight.

I wish I could give you an exact number but the info I was given varied among who I asked. It was in the ballpark of 27-33, and this year I'm suspecting about 28-40 internal students to be accepted. I know that's a somewhat wide range. Our class this year is slightly larger than last year's. Unfortunately, I am not sure how many total seats are available.

You must also take into account that out of say ~120 Pre-PA students at MCPHS, only a fraction of this number actually qualifies for the guaranteed interview. Then 70% of those who got extended the interview actually get offered admission.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NinjuhhKen said:

I wish I could give you an exact number but the info I was given varied among who I asked. It was in the ballpark of 27-33, and this year I'm suspecting about 28-40 internal students to be accepted. I know that's a somewhat wide range. Our class this year is slightly larger than last year's. Unfortunately, I am not sure how many total seats are available.

You must also take into account that out of say ~120 Pre-PA students at MCPHS, only a fraction of this number actually qualifies for the guaranteed interview. Then 70% of those who got extended the interview actually get offered admission.

Wow, thanks for this information! As an external applicant, the odds seem unfairly low to get accepted... Do you know how many total seats are open for both internal/external applicants & if this school has the wait list option?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NinjuhhKen said:

@NinjuhhKen Thanks! Very helpful. Do you know how many total PA students will be in the class for next year?

4 minutes ago, PAgirl5 said:

Wow, thanks for this information! As an external applicant, the odds seem unfairly low to get accepted... Do you know how many total seats are open for both internal/external applicants & if this school has the wait list option?

I do not know the exact number of this either but from my knowledge, there is definitely more external students than internal every year. As for whether this school has a wait list -- it does. Orientation is mandatory and those who do not show up to orientation automatically forfeit their seat to the next qualified candidate on the wait list.

3 minutes ago, Chris14 said:

@NinjuhhKen Thanks! Very helpful. Do you know how many total PA students will be in the class for next year?

That I am not sure but it should be less by a small margin. My year was the last year in which the requirements were rather lax. The current 2nd year Pre-PA students (who are applying in the 2020-2021 cycle) MUST have the following:
1. Pass PAS 402 + PAS 403 summer courses  one the first try; from this, you must obtain 40 shadowing hours from a PA and 40 from any other medical professional for a total of 80 shadowing hours.
2. Minimum 250 PCE
3. cGPA AND sGPA must be at least a 3.2 by the end of Summer 2020
4. CASPA must be in the verified state by Oct. 1st, 2020.

That being said, this means there's a higher chance that students will be thinned out by the required amount of PCE. Being at MCPHS, there's a strong push for students to have some sort of job or certification for PCE by their first summer at college and to work throughout the school year as either part-time or per diem. As you can imagine, the stress gets to some students combined with the typical pre-med classes. This may change the numbers from this year, or it may not. This is the first time that they have changed the requirements in awhile.

• Upvote 1