Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

46 minutes ago, LaurenR19 said:

EVMS does a very holistic approach to their review. 

I’m a first time applicant. Here are my stats: 

Graduate GPA: 4.0 

Pre-req GPA: 3.85 

PCE: 7K+ and accruing (school psychologist) 

volunteer hours: 250+ 

shadowing: 50 hours w/PA; 15 with an MD 

community service: 100 hours 

They are huge on a commitment to service. It’s listed all over their website!

how are things beyond just your GPA? What about PCE?

I mean one of the biggest reasons I applied to EVMS was their holistic approach. My other hours are 

HCE 14000

PCE 3600 

Leadership 2,000 

Shadowing 1020 all with different PAs 

Volunteer/Community 1,600

I have taken more classes this spring to rise my Pre Req GPA to 3.75 but it won't be considered until next application cycle. Thank you for answering my question 🙂

8 minutes ago, Katnhi said:

I mean one of the biggest reasons I applied to EVMS was their holistic approach. My other hours are 

HCE 14000

PCE 3600 

Leadership 2,000 

Shadowing 1020 all with different PAs 

Volunteer/Community 1,600

I have taken more classes this spring to rise my Pre Req GPA to 3.75 but it won't be considered until next application cycle. Thank you for answering my question 🙂

Of course! 

The admissions committee at EVMS, in my experience is extremely helpful and very insightful! If you do not get an interview this cycle, definitely reach out and ask them how to strengthen your application! They are big on seeing a commitment to their program and doing what is needed to get in as a re-applicant! 

I wish you all the best! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LaurenR19 said:

Everything is point based. Wave 2 candidates are set and will be invited based on remaining spots after wave 1 and the same goes for wave 3 if there is one! I wouldn’t reach out! 

Best of luck to those waiting! Sending all the good vibes! 

what do you mean everything is point based? I didn't see a break down of points in the admissions handout. Can you elaborate?

7 hours ago, itslinds said:

Third time applicant with 2 previous interviews. Got another interview invite today at 7pm. Good luck guys!

Can you give any insight to what the interview and questions were like? Did you get any feedback as to why you were not selected the previous times? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wickedPA01 said:

what do you mean everything is point based? I didn't see a break down of points in the admissions handout. Can you elaborate?

There isn’t anything specifically broken down in the handbook. I’m a first time applicant with an interview; however those who have applied previously and did not matriculate said it was point based, which makes sense. I applied other places and their reviews were out of a certain number of points for cut off to interview, but those weren’t public or in the handbook. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Congrats to everyone interviewing. I interviewed last year but was not accepted. I was/still am hoping for another interview invite this year. It's crazy to see how each cycle can change, last year I believe I was offered an interview in phase 2 but noting yet this year. Fingers still crossed. I also changed jobs and took 2 additional classes so I am hoping that helps me. To the people that have been offered an interview you all must be very proud. Looks like a very strong applicant pool!

I also checked my email for the portal login and I was never sent one.... so strange. Someone posted the url which I was able to alter with my name and I could log in so thanks to whoever posted that 🙂

Edited by aerialPA
additional info

On 6/12/2020 at 9:48 PM, FuturePA9987 said:

Prereq GPA and Replacement(last 40 credits)  or overall or graduate GPAs are the two main GPAs.  As a reapplicant, I’ve been told one B or less will make you competitive. Each year gets more competitive, so yes a 4.0 in the prereq is what they’re really seeking. I had a 3.75 prereq GPA my first time applying and was told I needed to replace those Bs with As. Take a look at their stats on their website for previous and current cohorts. 

I have 4.0 prereq and 3.65 grad with honors. Haven't gotten an interview yet... i cant recall how many volunteer hours, but I have 5 years RN experience... kinda disappointed, really.

9 minutes ago, Chapla36 said:

I have 4.0 prereq and 3.65 grad with honors. Haven't gotten an interview yet... i cant recall how many volunteer hours, but I have 5 years RN experience... kinda disappointed, really.

Don’t give up hope! 

Last years avg for prerequisite was a 3.83 and the avg for grad was 3.67! 

Commitment to community and volunteer is a main focus on their program! Avg hours last year for service was 370 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:49 PM, LaurenR19 said:

Of course! 

The admissions committee at EVMS, in my experience is extremely helpful and very insightful! If you do not get an interview this cycle, definitely reach out and ask them how to strengthen your application! They are big on seeing a commitment to their program and doing what is needed to get in as a re-applicant! 

I wish you all the best! 

Agreed. This is what sets EVMS apart from others. They actually take the time to provide valuable feedback to their applicants. I feel like more than just 'a number' or 'another applicant' with them.  

Best wishes! 😊

Does anyone know if the 16, 17, 18th are the only interview dates? So we would find out about acceptance/status ~2 weeks after the 18th, if I understand correctly? Just curious as far as timing to hear back. 

Also, I registered before the email was sent so I never got an email invite. Did they email say when we would get instructions for the online interviews?

Thanks!! And good luck to everyone!!

2 minutes ago, crk18 said:

Does anyone know if the 16, 17, 18th are the only interview dates? So we would find out about acceptance/status ~2 weeks after the 18th, if I understand correctly? Just curious as far as timing to hear back. 

Also, I registered before the email was sent so I never got an email invite. Did they email say when we would get instructions for the online interviews?

Thanks!! And good luck to everyone!!

They did not specify a date, but did say they’d send out more information regarding how to access the interview. 16-18 are the only dates. We will know within two weeks; however, I have friends in c/o 21 and 22 and they found out much sooner! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPutnam2020 said:

Thanks for the info! Just wondering if the 3rd wave will have a similar heads up. Congrats & good luck on your interview btw! 🙂 Still holding onto some hope for an interview invite tomorrow 🤞

Thank you! I'm a first year applicant and this is my first school so its all new to me! Never give up hope though! What is meant to be will always happen. Good luck! 

• Like 1