Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

Hello Everyone, My name is Simone and I could not find a topic that was about EVMS and this cycles applicants. So I hope this can be an opportunity for us all to connect, network, get advice from one another, as well as being a support for each other going through this PA journey! 

Please feel free to add information about yourself, like where your from, what admissions requirements you would be applying with, any questions you my have that may assist you with the application.... ANYTHING lol. 

Hope this is helpful to you all. God bless you and your successful journey to becoming a Physician Assistant!😁

• Upvote 1

Hello all! I am signed up for the information session on 06/23 @ 1000.  I have a question about prereqs.  I am lacking in some and am looking for a recommendation of a self paced online school that is accepted at EVMS.  I would like to get these knocked out fairly quickly and remain on track to meet the 3/1/20 deadline.  Thanks!

-Judy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SecondCareerPrePA

I would second University of New England online.  They have most of the prereqs you need, however, I highly recommend taking UNE online courses one at a time.  They are no longer self-paced, designed to be time-consuming, and can be quite challenging.  If you are curious about a specific class or professor, message me.  I've taken UNE micro, pathophys, statistics, anatomy, and phys.

Edited by SecondCareerPrePA

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mhart5 said:

Hey Everyone! 

I saw on their website that they require a supplemental application, however I can't find a link to it anywhere. Does anyone know if there is a supplemental app? Thanks!

Yes there is one. Did you complete all of the prerequisites? You won’t be able to submit the supplemental without completing them and having the final grades. You should be able to access it from CASPA. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Re: UNE for pre-requisites— I am taking Microbiology at UNE right now, and it is time consuming, but very well implemented. I have found quizlet to be very helpful for studying. I am so excited to apply and hopefully be interviewing this time next year! 

I’m currently working on my personal statement and just received edits back from my-a resource. I highly recommend!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, missxchar said:

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if all the science pre-reqs require labs? Thanks!

The website says that all classes must be at least 3 semester credits... that is generally the amount of credits for just the course without the lab. However, most people take labs for the science courses. 

1 hour ago, patobe82 said:

I agree it’s hard to take micro without taking the lab. It usually is corequired. They just want lecture not lab it says it in the handbook if that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes thank you! I didn’t have to take one part of ochem lab for my major that’s why. 

12 hours ago, futurePA6234 said:

Hey everyone! Have any of yall taken the CASPer test yet? I just signed up to take mine in September. Best of luck to everyone getting there applications together for EVMS this round, this is going to be my first round applying! 

I took the CASPer test in June. It was easy. Good luck this application cycle. It took two for me to be accepted. I just got offered a seat at UVU. I had one interview last cycle and was waitlisted at MCPHS. Then one interview so far this cycle and was accepted. EVMS was very high on my list, in my top 3. 

• Like 1

Guest SecondCareerPrePA
1 hour ago, MegSJ said:

Opinions please... Do re-applicants need to find new people to write new references or if the same people are willing to do it again stick with them? 

Since CASPA requires new evaluator letters be loaded every year, you probably want writers that you know will update their recommendations.  I had a couple in common to both apps, but made sure I gave them additional information about what I did to improve my application to make it more competitive.  Go with your gut.

Hello everyone! its been awhile since I have been on here, but i am the creator of this topic, I am so happy to see people actually using it. This will be my first cycle applying to EVMS and currently working on my personal statement letter. Since they do not have open enrollment I assume its okay that I am still working on my letter? I just feel so behind for some reason. 

18 hours ago, Erskinesimone38 said:

Hello everyone! its been awhile since I have been on here, but i am the creator of this topic, I am so happy to see people actually using it. This will be my first cycle applying to EVMS and currently working on my personal statement letter. Since they do not have open enrollment I assume its okay that I am still working on my letter? I just feel so behind for some reason. 

From my research on their website, they are not rolling admissions, therefore I think that as long as you submit your letter by the deadline you should be okay! I typically finish everything all together and earlier because other schools I have applied to are rolling, so maybe that's why you feel behind 🙂 but I wouldn't worry too much for this school! 

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, Erskinesimone38 said:

I am still making finishing touches on mine as well. I am only applying to programs with January and March non-rolling deadlines this round so that my classes that I retook could be calculated into my GPA. Don't feel like you are behind. You are fine for applying to EVMS since they are non-rolling. 

• Upvote 1