Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

2 hours ago, FuturePA9987 said:

I am in the same boat..had the link to register and I registered..but no email yet. Not sure how many they send out each wave.

Also, the 1st wave has the highest points, 2nd has the second highest, etc. It is a point-based system. 

Do you know the criteria for the point system ? And do you know typically how much second wave invites get sent out?

8 minutes ago, somerskm said:

Do you know the criteria for the point system ? And do you know typically how much second wave invites get sent out?

This is in the handbook: 

EVMS evaluates applicants through four lenses: cognitive/academic, personal/non-cognitive, healthcare experience and community service.” 

As far as how many, I assume it’s based on how many of us in the first wave accept our interview invite. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, somerskm said:

I agree with what @LaurenR19 said. Plus you get points from your application (GPA, PCE hours, community service hours,  personal statement, CASPER exam, etc.) and another score from your interview. They are combined and those with the highest scores receive acceptance offers. Usually they interview about 160 and there are about 80 seats. So 50/50 chance.

4 hours ago, FuturePA9987 said:

This is what I just heard back.

The emails went out at 9:00 AM. However, if you registered prior to that, the email is suppressed as it is set to not send to applicants who have already registered. The emails send automatically after your PURL is updated.

No worries about using the link with your PURL. Be reminded that your PURL is personalized to you, so you were meant to see it. I hope that clarifies things. Congratulations on your interview invitation.

Please stay tuned to your email for instructions on the interview process.

Have a good day,

Erin

So I used the PURL to register before 9am today. I did not receive an email. So I should be okay if I used the PURL to register? Congrats to all who got invites! So exciting!!

• Like 1

Ok so third time applicant interviewed last year:

Gpa 3.6
Prereq 4.0
Healthcare 10000+ as a pct/CNA/Nursing care partner I work for Norfolk general hospital right next to Evms
Research : MS in biology and undergrad research in cancer
Shadowing: 106 hours trauma, cardiology, pain management
Volunteer: 200+ hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ACH540 said:

Congrats to those of you that received interviews! Would you mind sharing some of your stats (GPA, paid vs. unpaid healthcare experience, community service, # of times applying, etc.)? 

4.0 Prereq GPA

3.9 last 40 credits GPA (Replacement GPA)

10,000+ paid PCE as Medical Assistant & Nurse Technician

500+ hours community service

3rd time applicant: 1st time- didn't receive an interview, had to retake 1 prereq to increase that GPA to make me more competitive, 2nd time--had an interview first wave but did not perform well (nerves), 3rd time is the charm! 😀

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ACH540 said:

Congrats to those of you that received interviews! Would you mind sharing some of your stats (GPA, paid vs. unpaid healthcare experience, community service, # of times applying, etc.)? 

Hello! 

first time applicant! 

overall GPA: 4.0 (replacement) 

prereq: 3.84 

PCE: 6000+ (school psychologist) 

volunteer: 200+ 

I’m local and have been since 2017! 

Not sure what other stats you want! 

• Like 2

First time applicant, very excited for this opportunity to interview with EVMS!

Replacement GPA: 3.96

Prereq GPA: 3.88

PCE: 3,000 + hours (I was a PT Aid and Medical Assistant during the summers of undergrad. Now I am currently an ED Tech)

HCE: 2,000 hours (Urology Medical Scribe)

Volunteer: 400 + hours 

Shadowing: 2 PAs, 3 MDs, 1 PT

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SPutnam2020 said:

I'll be 32 in July! Happy early birthday to you! Also switching careers. What was your first career Lauren? I was a chemist

Im 32 and will also be switching careers! Happy early b-day! Good luck! Hoping this virtual 

8 hours ago, mxray said:

First time applicant, I'll be 34 this year! Good luck!

Second time applicant and will be 33 in August! Doing a career change from interventional radiology! Good luck to all! 

3rd time applicant 38!! I had to retake classes and get shadowing, healthcare exp,
and volunteer experiences, it’s been a long arduous journey, but it will all be worth it if I am granted a seat.. Good luck to all of you. I know the feeling of feeling anxious about these interview invites and the interview itself. It’s.
Mind numbing but the key is to keep going and in the interview be yourself and don’t let your nerves rule you. Remember if you got the interview your academically qualified for the program they just want to know the real you study the questions but don’t dictate from a book!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1