Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

7 hours ago, FuturePA9987 said:

4.0 Prereq GPA

3.9 last 40 credits GPA (Replacement GPA)

10,000+ paid PCE as Medical Assistant & Nurse Technician

500+ hours community service

3rd time applicant: 1st time- didn't receive an interview, had to retake 1 prereq to increase that GPA to make me more competitive, 2nd time--had an interview first wave but did not perform well (nerves), 3rd time is the charm! 😀

Good luck! Seems you worked really hard for it.

• Like 1

3rd time applicant, 3rd time interview ... first time pregnancy waitlisted, 2nd time familial changes chose to wait. Third times a charm because I’ll be 33 🥳 ...important to remember in interview there’s no need to be nervous that parts in the waiting not the interviewing. How can you be nervous showing who you are I mean who knows you and what you’re capable of better than yourself! They are looking for the best fit amongst the cohort of the accepted class. All my interviewers were good asked thorough questions to see if this was truly where I’d be successful and they’d in the end gain a strong PA to add to the community. Just be yourself, you’re at the table because you belong there just show them what you bring to it!!! 

preq GPA 3.98 last 60credit GPA 4.0 18,000+ PCE CNA/Phlebotomist/Current Mental Health Nursing at Sentara Norfolk General. 500+ Shadowing Urgent Care PA 2300+ Volunteer PACU Aid 

Edited by medskoolmomOf4Cs
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, patobe82 said:

3rd time applicant 38!! I had to retake classes and get shadowing, healthcare exp,
and volunteer experiences, it’s been a long arduous journey, but it will all be worth it if I am granted a seat.. Good luck to all of you. I know the feeling of feeling anxious about these interview invites and the interview itself. It’s.
Mind numbing but the key is to keep going and in the interview be yourself and don’t let your nerves rule you. Remember if you got the interview your academically qualified for the program they just want to know the real you study the questions but don’t dictate from a book!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also 38, as of last week! I have taken 88 semester units in the last year and a half to get to this point. So I get the struggle, but also think that the struggle can strengthen.

I interview on the 18th. Good luck to you and hope to see you in class January!

27 minutes ago, SPutnam2020 said:

Is anyone willing to share study materials you're using for study question practice? Are interview questions similar from year to year?

I’d recommend doing some mock interviews with already practicing PAs. There are tons of them on IG who offer! I’m a first time applicant and interviewed somewhere else this cycle. Not sure if questions are similar. Things will likely be very different because of interviews being virtual this year. 

• Like 2

I’d recommend doing some mock interviews with already practicing PAs. There are tons of them on IG who offer! I’m a first time applicant and interviewed somewhere else this cycle. Not sure if questions are similar. Things will likely be very different because of interviews being virtual this year. 

Sorry would you mind explain what what’s IG stands for? I’m special lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pahopeful2023 said:

How do you guys think this virtual interview thing will go? It’s still a half day.. do you think there will still be individual and group interviews? I wonder if they will provide a virtual tour of everything. I was really looking forward to seeing the facilities and meeting students. 

I was fortunate enough to tour the facility during their March open house, it is a beautiful campus and their program has a lot to offer (cadaver lab and Sentara center) to help provide an excellent and thorough education. I hopethey do a virtual tour so you can see it!

Edited by mxray

13 minutes ago, Pahopeful2023 said:

How do you guys think this virtual interview thing will go? It’s still a half day.. do you think there will still be individual and group interviews? I wonder if they will provide a virtual tour of everything. I was really looking forward to seeing the facilities and meeting students. 

I’m local to the area and have toured a few times, plus I have a friend in the class of 2022. The facility is beautiful. They do have a membership committee that will be present at our interview (that is listed on our schedule they sent out)! 

I’m local to the area and have toured a few times, plus I have a friend in the class of 2022. The facility is beautiful. They do have a membership committee that will be present at our interview (that is listed on our schedule they sent out)! 

I’m local too I work at Norfolk general hospital!!

7 minutes ago, FuturePA9987 said:

What is the mentoring committee? I understand it’s class of 2022 guiding the interviewees, but last year they had 1 interview with a community PA, 1 interview with an academic PA, and the group interview. Those that know students in c/o 2022, please let us know. I will reach out to students I know also. 

That’s what they’re being called on the interview schedule. At this time, those on the committee haven’t been given any guidance since it’s all virtual. My best friend is in the c/o 2022! 

4 minutes ago, MPAhopeful said:

I know of some people who have received decline notifications about this cycle for EVMS, but I haven't heard of anyone hearing back about an interview invite. Has anyone been extended an interview?

Thank you! Trying to figure out where I stand (nervous!).

The first wave of invites occurred earlier this week I believe Tuesday. There will be other waves of invites depending on who accepts or declines their interviews. I am curious about the decline notifications, were the people you knew that got declined because they did not have all the needed prerequisites like they got the decline notifications early April or did they receive it this month?