2019 Yale PA online application cycle

My application just got submitted for review. I am a re-applicant from last year. When I asked for an application review from the admissions committee, they said I didn't meet their GPA requirements so they didn't go any further with my application. This was incorrect and I pretty much melted down internally since I hit 'submit' on this year's app before getting that email. Yale agreed to put my application 'on hold' and review my transcripts until they could figure out what happened. 

They didn't tell me what they did exactly, but I got a call today that they re-calculated my GPA and they found a 3.2 ish cumulative, 3.14 science and a 3.68 pre-req. That's basically what I got when I calculated by hand, so my application is no longer on hold and sitting in the 'early application' pile. My grades aren't great I know, but I have a BS in Physics so every 'A' only raises my grade by about .03. I got a 317 on the GRE and a committee letter from my Post-Bac program, so hopefully that helps. I also signed up for the CASPER test in May, but I was told it isn't actually a requirement until next cycle. I'm a licensed phlebotomist and a scribe and a veteran so hopefully it works out in my favor.

• Like 1

Re: interview style

Super low pressure single interviewer style. Kind and encouraging interviewers too.

Try not to spin yourself up with stress, they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

Just remember what is important to you and speak from that place.

You ARE good enough, or they wouldn't have offered you the interview.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, KhaliaB said:

My application just got submitted for review. I am a re-applicant from last year. When I asked for an application review from the admissions committee, they said I didn't meet their GPA requirements so they didn't go any further with my application. This was incorrect and I pretty much melted down internally since I hit 'submit' on this year's app before getting that email. Yale agreed to put my application 'on hold' and review my transcripts until they could figure out what happened. 

They didn't tell me what they did exactly, but I got a call today that they re-calculated my GPA and they found a 3.2 ish cumulative, 3.14 science and a 3.68 pre-req. That's basically what I got when I calculated by hand, so my application is no longer on hold and sitting in the 'early application' pile. My grades aren't great I know, but I have a BS in Physics so every 'A' only raises my grade by about .03. I got a 317 on the GRE and a committee letter from my Post-Bac program, so hopefully that helps. I also signed up for the CASPER test in May, but I was told it isn't actually a requirement until next cycle. I'm a licensed phlebotomist and a scribe and a veteran so hopefully it works out in my favor.

You over-achiever; you are in like Flint!

11 minutes ago, Finnigan said:

Re: interview style

Super low pressure single interviewer style. Kind and encouraging interviewers too.

Try not to spin yourself up with stress, they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

Just remember what is important to you and speak from that place.

You ARE good enough, or they wouldn't have offered you the interview.

Do you know if there are any steps after the interview or are acceptances/waitlists/denials handed out after the interviews?

On 5/3/2019 at 4:50 PM, jesst said:

If my application has been submitted for review (we're going on two weeks), when do y'all think I'll receive a rejection or interview invite? The tension is killing me!

Mine has been in review since March 25, I still have not heard anything back. I was told approximately  4-8 weeks by admissions and as late as June 15th. The wait is killing me also!! 

5 hours ago, JT050319 said:

Glad to see I'm not alone with this. It just a pain because I (and I'm sure you had the same idea) got the app done early with the hopes of getting an early answer to help ward off some effort and money but not doing caspa. I know June 15 is the latest but I hope we hear back sooner ! 

Yes!! This is exactly what I was hoping for, to avoid caspa all together. I really do not want to reapply with caspa unless I have too. It’s so expensive and I don’t want o hav to ask for the lors again, it’s ridiculous they won’t hold those from the previous cycle 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:50 PM, JT050319 said:

If my application has been submitted for review (we're going on two weeks), when do y'all think I'll receive a rejection or interview invite? The tension is killing me!

I think if you didn't make the early admissions deadline (mid April?) Then you have no promises for timing... But let us know what happens!

9 hours ago, Finnigan said:

Did anyone make it to the post interview session?

What did they talk about?

Any discussion of acceptance letter timelines?

I would be surprised if the didn't specify not discussing it...Why did you not attend? Are you solely using this school as a nice to have or back up plan?

1 hour ago, HomeTeam123 said:

I would be surprised if the didn't specify not discussing it...Why did you not attend? Are you solely using this school as a nice to have or back up plan?

This is my ideal program, I don't know that I will apply to any others...

Pretty distraught to have missed it. Emergency at work kept me from it 😔

Edited by Finnigan

Alright guys, the 8 week mark since my app was sent to admission is coming up in 1 week, and I have yet to hear anything yet. I am schedule for the CASPer on 5/14. I am really hoping to hear something soon. I was told it would be 4-8 weeks, but could be longer. How long did it take others to hear back after your app was sent to admissions? I am just looking for some hope that not having heard back yet isn't a sign of rejection 😧 the waiting is the worst part of this whole process

Hang in there!  I submitted 4/14.  They did notify me that my app was under review early this week and another email asked me to register to take the CASPer test. I am also taking it 5/14.  Waiting is always hard but we will know soon enough!  Lots of praying going on here!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, PAhopeful6 said:

Yes!! This is exactly what I was hoping for, to avoid caspa all together. I really do not want to reapply with caspa unless I have too. It’s so expensive and I don’t want o hav to ask for the lors again, it’s ridiculous they won’t hold those from the previous cycle 

Letters of recommendation can be held if they are less than 12 months old. I re-used all of mine.

Edited by docsls6

Does anyone know how the CASPer exam factors into the admissions decision? I know it's not required but I feel like I should take it so I am taking it on 5/14. I have been practicing and I'm scared that I won't do as well as I want to, it's difficult!! Anyone know anything about this or any tips for preparing??

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, PAhopeful6 said:

Do the lors show up on caspa? I reopened my caspa app and they weren’t there? Mine are less than a year old also! 

I believe CASPA requires fresh LORs for each application cycle. Yale was not part of CASPA last year, so LORs submitted to Yale are valid for one year.

I am with you, it was disappointing to discover that I will need to get all my LORs for CASPA again...

15 hours ago, mme229 said:

Does anyone know how the CASPer exam factors into the admissions decision? I know it's not required but I feel like I should take it so I am taking it on 5/14. I have been practicing and I'm scared that I won't do as well as I want to, it's difficult!! Anyone know anything about this or any tips for preparing??

I wonder about this too.

I suspect they are delaying admissions notifications until the results of the CASPer come in, perhaps just to ensure early applicants follow through with taking the exam.

From what I have read, you shouldn't have to do much prep work for the CASPer in order to succeed, so long as you aren't a sociopath.

The questions are just common-sense ethical dilemmas. Practice typing up your thoughts quickly, as the time constraints might trip you up if you deliberate too long.

4 hours ago, Finnigan said:

I believe CASPA requires fresh LORs for each application cycle. Yale was not part of CASPA last year, so LORs submitted to Yale are valid for one year.

I am with you, it was disappointing to discover that I will need to get all my LORs for CASPA again...

ooh they meant Yale will hold LORs for a year... I thought they were referring to CASPA. ugh, awful luck for me. my professor who wrote my lor is out of the office until august 😖

I am not sure I was such a big fan of that CASper test.  It was weird.  I sent my application in April 13, and due to one minor glitch in having to track down a syllabus for a pre requisite, JUST got it finalized and it was submitted to the committee yesterday.  That was close.  😬

Anyway, definitely non traditional student over here...3.2, 3.2, 313...Somewhere around 25,000 hours PCE as an athletic trainer first, then chiropractor...and yes, I am old. Hoping my work and life experience gets some points.  🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Good luck to all of you!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1