2019 Yale PA online application cycle

16 hours ago, CLeBeau said:

I received an offer to interview today! Oh. My. Goodness!!! I don't even know what to do! Does anyone have any great interviewing tips? Resources?

Congrats! I was offered an interview as well. I interviewed for a PA program in December (currently wait listed) and they were mostly scenario based questions. 

On 4/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, CLeBeau said:

I received an offer to interview today! Oh. My. Goodness!!! I don't even know what to do! Does anyone have any great interviewing tips? Resources?

Congrats!! When did you submit your application or have it under review/complete? Also, did you take the CASPer exam already?

Edited by pahopeful46

2 hours ago, pahopeful46 said:

Congrats!! When did you submit your application or have it under review/complete? Also, did you take the CASPer exam already?

I submitted on Feb 8th and think my application was considered complete and entered review by the end of Feb. I'm scheduled to take the CASPer on May 14th

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:18 AM, HomeTeam123 said:

The wait is killer! I wonder if it will just be one big flood gate of email and interviews right before June 15th!

Based on talking with admissions they are going to wait until they receive CASPer results after the MAY 14th test before making decisions on those people. So I am assuming it will be very close to June 15th before any of those people would hear back.

1 hour ago, docsls6 said:

Based on talking with admissions they are going to wait until they receive CASPer results after the MAY 14th test before making decisions on those people. So I am assuming it will be very close to June 15th before any of those people would hear back.

Are you talking about interviews or acceptance emails?

Are you going to take the CASPer test now?  The availability of test dates could really play a factor into folks hearing back based on the deadline. 

Did admissions have anything else good to say?

Edited by HomeTeam123

On 4/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, CLeBeau said:

Congratulations!!!

Would you mind sharing your stats?! HCE type and hours, cumulative GPA, GRE scores? 

Thank you and best of luck to you!

11 minutes ago, NICURT said:

Congratulations!!!

Would you mind sharing your stats?! HCE type and hours, cumulative GPA, GRE scores? 

Thank you and best of luck to you!

Of course!

cGPA- 3.3 sGPA-3.1 GRE 169 & 150 

HCE - roughly 10,000 hours as a dental assistant, managing the dental office at the local free clinic and as a board member for a non-profit that provides free healthcare in Peru annually.

19 minutes ago, CLeBeau said:

Of course!

cGPA- 3.3 sGPA-3.1 GRE 169 & 150 

HCE - roughly 10,000 hours as a dental assistant, managing the dental office at the local free clinic and as a board member for a non-profit that provides free healthcare in Peru annually.

Did they notify you what day your interview is or give you a choice? 

On 4/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, HomeTeam123 said:

Are you talking about interviews or acceptance emails?

Are you going to take the CASPer test now?  The availability of test dates could really play a factor into folks hearing back based on the deadline. 

Did admissions have anything else good to say?

Acceptance is what I would assume. Remember that this cycle they changed the rules about everyone needing an interview. It is now up to admissions and their discretion whether to accept you without an interview. I would also assume your application must be completed (by May 15th) before they could consider an interview. Anyone who submitted on or near the 15th probably still have things like transcripts and LORs they are waiting on. I would be surprised if many people were offered acceptance prior to CASPer results rolling in. The test seems to be an excellent predictor of how you deal with and think about ethical and conflict resolution situations. When I was doing hiring for all those years, I would have LOVED a test like that before making hiring decisions. If they absolutely wanted someone, then they will probably get their acceptance early, but I expect most will hear back after CASPer results are in. 

Admissions cannot give you much help around your application and advice on what to do specifically. They have been wonderful about following-up with me and everyone I have worked with has been amazing. Even my feedback from last cycle didn't say much more than look at your entire application and address weaknesses. For me I have far fewer PCE hours than most applicants, so while my GPA and GRE were better than a good chunk of the people they admitted, my PCE is near the bottom. I tried getting PCE through EMT, but the process ended up taking forever and my hours gained were minimal, so I just had to roll with it. 

Yes I am taking the CASPer. I have almost two decades experience managing people, so hopefully I can show them I am quite proficient in how I attack and handle those situations, but we shall see. 

Edited by docsls6

Hey everyone, I also applied to Yale and am extremely anxious to hear back. This is my top choice program, and am so excited. My app was complete and sent to admissions March 25, 4 weeks ago. I was given a timeline of 4-8 weeks to hear back. How long did it take others to receive an interview invite? I’m halfway through the projected timeline but the wait is killing me! 

On 4/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, SB109 said:

For those who received interviews, do you know what style of interview it is? I am aware it is online but I was wondering if it was with a single interviewer, panel, etc?

Hi!

Outside of it being a Zoom interview, I'm not sure of any other specific details.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:41 AM, emilymuff said:

Good morning,

I am not applying until next cycle, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the three essay prompts? Did you find any resources helpful or use any editing services? Any information would be much appreciated. 

Best of luck to all of you this cycle,

Emily 

Hi Emily!

I actually really had a hard time with the essay prompts! By the time I submitted, I had written about 3 different versions and wasn't happy with any of them. A couple of classmates of mine have been accepted to PA programs and I had them review and help me edit. I found it really helpful to have as many people read them as possible and edit based on suggestions they had. Even non-healthcare folks can have some really great feedback!

12 hours ago, CLeBeau said:

Hi Emily!

I actually really had a hard time with the essay prompts! By the time I submitted, I had written about 3 different versions and wasn't happy with any of them. A couple of classmates of mine have been accepted to PA programs and I had them review and help me edit. I found it really helpful to have as many people read them as possible and edit based on suggestions they had. Even non-healthcare folks can have some really great feedback!

Thank you very much with your response. I think that because there are three prompts, and that they all need to be stellar is making it more difficult for me ha!

On 4/27/2019 at 5:37 AM, emilymuff said:

Thank you very much with your response. I think that because there are three prompts, and that they all need to be stellar is making it more difficult for me ha!

This is my advice. You have three prompts to tell Yale everything about you and your motivations that they cannot see in your app. You also get 500-1500 characters to tell them anything you want. 

The problem I see with anyone who doesn't know you intimately is that they only know what you PUT into the essay prompt and not what you SHOULD have put into the essay prompts. 

The only people I had read my prompts was my wife and initially my mother. After my mother's feedback I was pretty sure she wasn't going to be helpful so I stuck to my wife, however I didn't allow her to change anything I wanted to say. We made only small tweaks on HOW I was saying it.  

If you want a company or stranger to help they can, just realize that most of what they give you isn't going to ensure you did your best, it is only going to ensure what you wrote was grammatically correct. 

You just have to trust yourself more. I was never concerned about my prompts. The biggest hurdle I had was cutting down what I wanted to say to 500 words or 500 characters. 

Edited by docsls6