2019 Yale PA online application cycle

59 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Anyone have any insight as to what we should expect from the post interview session? Interactive? Sit back and listen? Etc.

Last year it was basically an information session that discussed next steps if you were accepted. It gives you an idea of how many people are in the running based on the number of participants. 

They tell you to keep all questions until the end, but you know how people just love to not follow directions. If anything it will show you how many people aren't getting in because they aren't asking valid questions or following directions. 

Edited by docsls6
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, docsls6 said:

Last year it was basically an information session that discussed next steps if you were accepted. It gives you an idea of how many people are in the running based on the number of participants. 

They tell you to keep all questions until the end, but you know how people just love to not follow directions. If anything it will show you how many people aren't getting in because they aren't asking valid questions or following directions. 

Ok - I kind of figured that it would be similar to that. Good to know. Thanks 👍

3 hours ago, RD1093 said:

I’ve been searching for this thread for a week! Congrats to those who have been accepted. I’m a RD with 10 years of experience and very similar stats to the RD who was accepted so now I’m nervous that won’t accept another RD.  

Did you have your interview? 

I get asked a ton about my stats. Here is something we ALL need to remember and why Yale looks at “the whole candidate”. Your paper stats don’t really matter as I assure you with thousands of applicants there are plenty of great stats. I got waitlisted with my stats because of who I am, how I communicated through my essays, and my life experiences. 

There is is probably no one else applying to Yale that is anything like me because our life experiences are going to be completely different. People keep trying to put this secret formula on their numbers but it simply doesn’t work that way. The number is a number and our PCE is our PCE but it doesn’t in any way define who we are or what value we bring to the program.

Stop worrying about what the other “on paper” student got because they aren’t you and don’t bring your perspective to the table. If you want to succeed in this process you need to tell them WHO YOU ARE and not just what your stats are. You can try to copy someone all day long in their stats but unless your entire life went like theirs then there isn’t any point. What got them in likely won’t be what got you in.

Everyone needs to start focusing on telling their story and what they bring to the table and worry less about their stats and PCE. I see it in the PA groups daily and through PMs of people asking me for advice. Be yourself because that is what they need to know to make their decision. 

Edited by docsls6
  • Like 8

52 minutes ago, docsls6 said:

I get asked a ton about my stats. Here is something we ALL need to remember and why Yale looks at “the whole candidate”. Your paper stats don’t really matter as I assure you with thousands of applicants there are plenty of great stats. I got waitlisted with my stats because of who I am, how I communicated through my essays, and my life experiences. 

There is is probably no one else applying to Yale that is anything like me because our life experiences are going to be completely different. People keep trying to put this secret formula on their numbers but it simply doesn’t work that way. The number is a number and our PCE is our PCE but it doesn’t in any way define who we are or what value we bring to the program.

Stop worrying about what the other “on paper” student got because they aren’t you and don’t bring your perspective to the table. If you want to succeed in this process you need to tell them WHO YOU ARE and not just what your stats are. You can try to copy someone all day long in their stats but unless your entire life went like theirs then there isn’t any point. What got them in likely won’t be what got you in.

Everyone needs to start focusing on telling their story and what they bring to the table and worry less about their stats and PCE. I see it in the PA groups daily and through PMs of people asking me for advice. Be yourself because that is what they need to know to make their decision. 

^^^^ this is exactly what sets someone apart from another with the same "stats" ^^^^^ If your stats get you through, then the essays have to do the same. Once the essays get you through (along with other parts of your app that are not "stat" related) then you get the interview. The interview is where you have to be authentic and tell the interviewers who you are as a person and how your life experiences and thought processes will make you a great candidate for their program. Then you wait and see if they desire you over other applicant's overall packages, and grant you a seat in their next cohort. 

1 hour ago, docsls6 said:

Thank you for this! We all have good grades....think about what sets you apart. 

Very well said. I guess we all start scrambling and trying to predict what will happen as we anxiously await. And it seems we will have to wait the weekend as I don’t think any answers are coming today. 

I would like to know how many are accepted though?

25 minutes ago, EANYPA said:

Very well said. I guess we all start scrambling and trying to predict what will happen as we anxiously await. And it seems we will have to wait the weekend as I don’t think any answers are coming today. 

I would like to know how many are accepted though?

Impossible to say. I am guessing they are going to take 30ish people from early. Based on what I saw I am guessing somewhere around 120-180 people that interviewed and if you interviewed you probably have about a 1 in 5 shot of getting in. That's what my gut is telling me, but who knows. 

They also made it sound like June 15th was NOT a hard deadline to be notified based on questions that were asked. This would be unfortunate for some like myself already accepted to other programs. I have to register for classes in July and if I don't hear back by then I wouldn't be going to Yale regardless of the outcome of the application. So we shall see. 🤞

Edited by docsls6
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, docsls6 said:

Impossible to say. I am guessing they are going to take 30ish people from early. Based on what I saw I am guessing somewhere around 120-180 people that interviewed and if you interviewed you probably have about a 1 in 5 shot of getting in. That's what my gut is telling me, but who knows. 

They also made it sound like June 15th was NOT a hard deadline to be notified based on questions that were asked. This would be unfortunate for some like myself already accepted to other programs. I have to register for classes in July and if I don't hear back by then I wouldn't be going to Yale regardless of the outcome of the application. So we shall see. 🤞

I do hope it’s a hard deadline! In correspondence with the admissions department they indicated that we would be assured of a decision by 6/15. So I am hoping for the best. 

1 in 5 or 6 is not bad odds!

1 hour ago, EANYPA said:

I do hope it’s a hard deadline! In correspondence with the admissions department they indicated that we would be assured of a decision by 6/15. So I am hoping for the best. 

1 in 5 or 6 is not bad odds!

We will see, because that wasn't the information relayed in the post interview session. The Casper results have certainly made things difficult on their original timeline. 

21 minutes ago, docsls6 said:

We will see, because that wasn't the information relayed in the post interview session. The Casper results have certainly made things difficult on their original timeline. 

Yes your right. I remember in the CASPer email it said to schedule it as soon as possible in order to be assured of the 6/15 decision. I took it 5/14....and when I spoke with admissions about the fact I was taking it so close to the deadline they assured it would not affect the 6/15 decision. But I guess we will soon find out. At least you have an acceptance

Edited by EANYPA

1 hour ago, MY3PUGS said:

Hello Everyone,

I too have been searching for this forum forever (well it seems like forever)!  Ugh this waiting is killing me!  Can someone please tell me how you are notified of acceptance and rejection?  I simply want to keep my eyes open..

Thanks

Acceptance will be a phone call from what I have heard. Rejection or waitlisted will likely be email. 

Thanks!  I understood as the other poster has said that June 15 is a hard date for those of us that applied for that early deadline.  They seemed pretty very assured about that date...but who knows?  Another question, I am keeping my phone with me and checking email obsessively as well, what time of the day did those who were accepted receive their calls?  Were they in the afternoon, evening, morning?  Just curious..

So, I did not join all of the info sessions online this year, but I remember last year it was mentioned that all Early Decision applicants would have an answer by 15 June. I applied last year (not Early Decision) and got my rejection via email about 6 weeks later. I'm not early decision this year either, still waiting on one more LOR that should come in today. 

37 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

I was just accepted elsewhere on Friday. So, in the event that I receive a call from Yale, I will be giving up my spot for one of you wonderful peeps. Good luck! 

Congratulations!  No more misery and waiting by the phone, with a glass of wine in my case!  Ha Ha

• Upvote 1