White Coat

If I HAD to work in a place that required me to wear a white coat, I would constantly lose mine.  I mean....daily.

If administrator critter asked me where my white coat was at, I would tell him I lost it somewhere, I'll put it back on as soon as I find it.

I would wear it into that critter's office one day profusely sweating.  I would make sure the coat was really sweaty/stinky/dirty, take it off when I walked into his office, and "inadvertantly" leave it there for him to pick up.  I would do that repeatedly.

Administrative critters are good at making up stupid rules.  You can be really good at breaking said stupid rules.

I think professional dress is appropriate and white coats should be optional. I had to wear a tie my first 2 years in practice. Wasn't a fan of that. I currently do use a white coat because I like having things in the pockets immediately available. I work at several different places and don't want to find out at the last minute that small items I need are not immediately available. I do a neurotic check at the beginning of every shift for big things like glidescope plugged in with a blade attached, IO present, code cart present and stocked, etc, but still have little items I like in arms reach like nasal airways, mucosal atomizers, crich kit, 14g IV needle for decompression, rapid rhino for nose bleed, etc

My current employer provides white coats (launders them as well) and currently just recommends wearing them.  They toyed with the idea of requiring all providers wearing white coats.

My issue is that I run HOT.  When everyone else is cold or comfortable, I am often slightly warm and possibly even sweating.  I used to wear a white coat, but the breaking point for me was while performing an office surgery I started to sweat from the extra layer (and the heat kicked on).  Came very close to having a drop of sweat drip onto my sterile field because my MA didn't see it.  If I had not been aware that sweat droplet would have fallen directly into the hole I had just created.  That was the end of me wearing a white coat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So since the original post I have decided to forgo the white coat. I have been pulled into the office managers office twice now about not wearing a white coat. Again they do not provide lab coats or launder them for that matter. I have also just received a written warning for not wearing a white coat as they deem it it against the dress code for medical providers. So now they are saying it is part of the dress code for medical providers to wear a lab coat. I have never seen this in writing nor did I sign anything about any dress code policy. The written warning also went into detail about further disclipinary actions involving the corporate attorney in accordance with labor laws. Last I checked a lab coat is part of PPE and must be provided by the employer and laundered by the employer (not washed at the employers home) occording to OSHA. 

I need some advise about this issue. Do I need to contact OSHA myself?

Sounds like you work for some nuts.

My employer wanted to tell me what color scrubs to wear and that I had to have the company logo on them but they don't pay for them. I just laughed.They might be able to mandate scrubs and the color but the logo? at my expense? Not hardly.

I don't understand the corporate attorney thing unless it is just policy because that is prep for termination and they are covering all their bases.

I don't think OSHA is going to give you much cover. The bigger question is...is this worth putting your employment at risk? 

When an employer does not value a professional it is time to walk, i would tell them to kiss where the sun don't shine, you worked to hard to tolerate this kind of nonsense.

Archived