Dress up for success

Agree. Professional dress sets a first impression. I typically do khakis+scrub top+white coat + nice leather shoes. When I volunteer in a primary care clinic it's dress shirt instead of scrubs, but the rest the same. When I attend staff meetings it's dress shirt +/- tie, depending on the audience.

Ugh

yes we must do better

This recent study by Au and Stelfox analyzed how patients and their family perceived ICU physicians wearing different types of attire. One of the most interesting things the authors found was that even though people would consciously claim that what the doctor was wearing didn’t matter – their ultimate responses showed “traditional attire was associated with perceptions of knowledge, honesty, and providing the best care” … even beating out those wearing scrubs. Such first impressions may be especially important in brief interactions such as those in the ER.

• 3 weeks later...

I do business casual Monday Tues and Thurs (off weds) and usually "casual Friday" with a NICE pair of jeans nice casual shoes (Cole Haan's etc) and a casual button up collared short sleeve shirt. Have not had any complaints from pts in fact got very high ratings on professionalism and patient satisfaction on last 2 quarterly reviews/surveys.

Bottom line, I don't think we need to wear a shirt and tie but don't bum it either... Oh and avoid blue or red polos with khakis or else you'll look like you work at target or Best Buy. [emoji12]

Always wear a nice watch! [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My govt employee colleagues have various stages of dress for good and bad.

Just pointing out that some women should not wear leggings - ever. And others look more suited to a high dollar night club instead of a clinic.

Some male colleagues wear ties while others are in scrub pants and random T-shirts.

I stick with slacks, sweater twin sets, or shell shirts with a cover shirt - business casual would be best descriptor. No cleavage - eeewww. Closed toe shoes and nothing tight or too flowey - ruffles have no business in a Pap smear.

My patients range from homeless to retired CEOs. I fit in the middle. Nothing too pretentious - everything is washable - hate dry cleaning - look AND act professional.

First impressions do matter, there are plenty of studies that show correlation between attire and patient satisfaction and trust.

Also, don't wear ties.  They are proven fomites and they never get washed.  Similar story with white coats as well.  I think in the EU or NHS, ties are banned for use by medical providers.

I do EM.  I wear khacki's and a collared monogrammed shirt with my name, certs, and emergency medicine on the next line.  I also wear a monogrammed white coat.  That's for all initial patient encounters, but the coat is left behind for all procedures (+/- gown).  Coming from the fire service, I view it as a uniform.  Your uniform is part of that very important 1st impression.  I think the coat helps.

I have worn a suit (no tie) for 13+ years while I’m the clinic.  If you see me at a conference, guess what, suit. We cannot be taken seriously as a profession unless we take ourselves seriously and give at least an appearance of professionalism. Besides, it doesn’t cost a lot of money to buy a 150 dollar suit from Burlington....

Guest HanSolo
On 7/31/2018 at 3:57 PM, cbrsmurf said:

First impressions do matter, there are plenty of studies that show correlation between attire and patient satisfaction and trust.

Also, don't wear ties.  They are proven fomites and they never get washed.  Similar story with white coats as well.  I think in the EU or NHS, ties are banned for use by medical providers.

Yes - ties are gross and usually just get in the way. 

Dress code at my hospital is business attire. Men wear suits with jacket and tie (I’ve seen some bow ties which honestly just look pretentious) or can wear a white coat. Women wear dresses or suits, and can wear a white coat. Khakis, jeans, etc are expressly forbidden. Until about 2 years ago all the women were required to wear pantyhose. You get used to it and I do think it sets a tone for the interaction.

What about foot wear? Been through a few clinical days in my didactic so far and I keep forgetting to look but my feet are killing me in dress shoes.
Cole Haan if you can afford it. Bostonians or Clarks if you can't (they feel almost as good for half the price!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I work ER - I alternate between button down long sleeve casual shirts with my khaki 5-11's or golf shirts - it it's cold (which it is usually in my dept), I have a fleece sweater with my name and creds embroidered on it.  I have a personalized lab coat, but don't wear it that much.  When I worked primary care, I started with dress slacks/shirts/ties (with tie clip - keeps it out of the way) - but I was in a little farming community, so people were happier with my golf shirts and 5-11's..and so was I.  I have some decent Sketcher loafers and  Merrill walking shoes (on my feet 12 hours at a time - they're comfy and look good).  Long sleeve shirts and sweaters have sleeves rolled to about mid forearm usually to keep them from getting too oogy.  

SK

On 8/7/2018 at 12:34 AM, EastCoastPAapplicant said:

What about foot wear? Been through a few clinical days in my didactic so far and I keep forgetting to look but my feet are killing me in dress shoes.

Better shoes exist, just keep looking. Invest in some good quality socks - I like the ones with a little pad at the Achilles area.

Archived